High School Recruiting in OK?

annapolissooner

Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I'm so stoked for basketball season to start...I think the boys are going to surprise a lot of people this year...

Now to my question...I've been reading on here and insider about the tentacles of JC's recruiting abilities...I don't know that I have ever seen us in on so many highly regarded prospects, Barnes, Lamb, Jones, McCallum, etc...

I realize that this year's class of HS seniors in OK is not as talented as some in the past, but why do we seem to have so much trouble keeping in state talent (Blake being the obvious exception)?...

Is it the desire to get out of Oklahoma? That's why I left the state for college to experience a different part of the country.

Do you think that Jeff will turn this around?

When should we see the next crop of great OK high school talent? I don't get to keep up with the OK AAU teams like AF as much as I would like...

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to your responses...

AS

If I remember correctly, Daniel didn't like our fan support at the time because there really wasn't any. We had a good shot at him but UK won the battle.

As for Xavier Henry, he was leaving all along because of his daddy.

Boomer,

Thanks for the insight...I forgot about Orton's reservations regarding the crowds...Do you know when the next great crop of OK high school basketball players will be seniors?

I can't recall where I read this, but I saw somewhere recently OK's basketball fan base being described as a "sleeping giant."

That should certainly help in the future, particularly with the OU fan's propensity for following "a winner."

I don't really think there is going to be a class as talented as the last years and the few years before it. Who knows maybe some small profile guys may blow up, but again there won't be as much talent as Xavier, Orton, Terrence Boyd, and Blake Griffin. Good thing Capel is recruiting from the east coast all the way to the west coast.

Orton always wanted to get out of town...same with Henry. Capel wasn't going to change those minds....

btw, anyone else remember that d-bag Swaim saying that the only reason we brought in Coach O was to get Orton and if we did not close he should be fired. I hate that guy, really hate him. Based on that and the comments Swaim made about Coach O and WW's mom, he is lucky Coach O doesn't come after him with a baseball bat (I would).

In Oklahoma there are about 2 kids who have high D1 potential. One is Dom Raney of PCO and the other is Chilton at BTW. Now other guys may develop, but that's it. No way OU will offer Chilton. He does have offers frrom both Tulsa schools and Marquette and WKU are looking. OU hasn't offered Raney and probably wont. They like the kid and his game and he likes them, but it's a mutual respect from both camps and not a thing of pursuit.

Capel put it best when he said that he's going to recruit the best kids and If they're in the state, he would love to have them, but if not, he'll go elsewhere.

wouldnt YOU wanna get the heck out of here if you could?

According to Raney, that is there motivation. The son wants to experience a big east atmosphere. Same thing with Etan Thomas. I'm cool with that. I hope Terrence Jones, Doron Lamb, and Barnes would like to experience being away......preferably in Oklahoma.

well if you live somewhere else then at least coming here is still "getting out".

Now it's not the same as heading to the beaches in Cali or the bustle of the right coast, but there's still the positive of being away from where you were.

I'll continue to scout the local OKC kids when they visit Capitol Hill. Hill got a new tranfer student in from Houston area that looks the part. 6'4 and built and the coaches really seem to be high on his game. I'll have to ask my wife his name again.

Ray Willis- From Tulsa, OK
Tony Crocker- From Lawton, OK
Kyle Hardrick- From Norman, OK
Cade Davis- From Elk City, OK

Having 4 scholarship players from OK is pretty good! :)

Hey Dirty, a friend of mine says there is a d-1 kid at East Central in Tulsa. Said he will probably end up at TU or ORU. Do you know who he is talking about?

I'll continue to scout the local OKC kids when they visit Capitol Hill. Hill got a new tranfer student in from Houston area that looks the part. 6'4 and built and the coaches really seem to be high on his game. I'll have to ask my wife his name again.

Capitol Hill or Grant had a really good young team last year. There's young kids at PC West that are really good as well. However, there's a difference between good high school players and D1 standouts. We have been spoiled the last 10 years and now there is a drought.

I love Norman. Sure, I would want to leave most places in Oklahoma, but Norman is a great town and has a great college atmosphere.

Fellas,

Thank you so much for the insight...I had no idea about the recruits in OK this year...You guys make a great point about recruiting nationwide, and I think that it's important to go elsewhere as long as we keep great roots in OK (for guys like Blake) and in North TX (for guys like Willie and Cam).

Thanks again,

AS

Capitol Hill or Grant had a really good young team last year. There's young kids at PC West that are really good as well. However, there's a difference between good high school players and D1 standouts. We have been spoiled the last 10 years and now there is a drought.

PC West has 2 kids that are probably lower level D-1 kids. They both played for Athlete's First this summer.

Capitol Hill and Grant will probably send more kids to prison than to play college ball. Those are the 2 worst schools in the city currently. Gangster.

PC West has 2 kids that are probably lower level D-1 kids. They both played for Athlete's First this summer.

Capitol Hill and Grant will probably send more kids to prison than to play college ball. Those are the 2 worst schools in the city currently. Gangster.

I think it's Grant that had the two 2012 guys that are really good guards who played for AF. Generally, guy that are good at those schools transfer out. Amric Fields is the guy from PCW that i saw play at the OU camp. He's a good sized kid and looks the part of a D1 athlete, but he's a little raw skillwise. Oren Faulk is a kid that was also at the OU camp and I had the pleasure of talking with his colorful father who was on the sidelines towel waving. He's a kid that did a good job in that camp. He was physical and had pretty good footwork. Rivals has him listed at 6'7 220. his father said he was 6'9. He was actually about 6'6 or 6'6 1/2 and about 270. Not really a fat kid but had alot of bulk. Proabably a mid major prospect despite his father swearing Coach Capel offered him a scholarship. LOL!!

There's also a super scorer from Class B stratford named Dalen Qualls. He had 70 in a scrimmage this past weekend. The question for him is will he be another guy like the kid for Barnsdall in 94 or the kid from Pawnee in 94 or will he be a Clarke or Page. The kid you are talking about from East Central, I have no idea about but have read taht he is pretty good. I love Chilton from BTW. He's a all guts player and has the bloodline being Lee Mayberry's nephew.

Last edited:
Ray Willis- From Tulsa, OK
Tony Crocker- From Lawton, OK
Kyle Hardrick- From Norman, OK
Cade Davis- From Elk City, OK

Having 4 scholarship players from OK is pretty good! :)

Hey Dirty, a friend of mine says there is a d-1 kid at East Central in Tulsa. Said he will probably end up at TU or ORU. Do you know who he is talking about?

Your buddy is talking about Wilson. He went to Carver but played for Sammie Mack in the summer so he went to EC.

he is a junior and a very nice hand. I know Beau thinks very highly of him and I do too. His biggest issue in college is that he will be a tweener. He is about 6'5.

DM, Chilton's biggest issue is playing hard consistently. When he wants to go, he is a great scorer. Sometimes he acts disinterested and that is the same thing I told Marquette. A friend of mine is the big Marquette scout I guess you could say for Oklahoma athletes.

Theron has been a big time scorer since he was at Whitney middle school.

On a side note, everyone is Lee Mayberry's cousin. Lee and I laugh about this all the time because his family is related to EVERYONE.

Back