Implication of Morningstar's suspension...

elmocarp

Reaction score
I know that no one thinks much of Brady Morningstar as a player and I am not trying to imagine things that aren't there, but isn't his suspension a pretty significant development with that team? I thought he was a wildly underrated part of that team's success last season. I'm really not trying to make too much out of this, but I thought he was an elite defender (seriously, about as good as you could want) and a smart, experienced player. I hate the term "glue-guy", but if it has any meaning worth noting, you'd have to think it would apply to Morningstar.

I know a lot of people think of Morningstar and Reed as interchangeable, but Morningstar played the second most minutes on the team last year, more than Aldrich. I know that I'm just supposed to laugh it off and say that you take Tyrell Reed, Elijah Johnson and C.J. Henry and they eat up his minutes without missing a beat but I just don't see it that way. I'm not suggesting he is an irreplaceable and I recognize that if any team in the country could withstand losing a guy, its KU. Hell, they have enough depth that you could even see them rolling along if they lost Collins for a couple of weeks. But it really does seem to me that Morningstar is the only guy on that roster who could give them those kind of minutes. Maybe I'm crazy, but I'd love to hear what you guys think about it.

And Cheno and grace, I hope you know me well enough to know that I'm not trying to start some anti-KU stuff...I just really find it interesting...

Hell, they have enough depth that you could even see them rolling along if they lost Collins for a couple of weeks.

To me, this sums it up. Morningstar is an important player, no doubt, but I don't see it as any more than an early season bump in the road.

To pose a similar question from a different perspective, what impact do you suppose a Cade Davis absense would have on our Sooners?

It helps the young guys get PT and experience early on and Brady will be back for conference season.

So in short, this was good for KU.

Elmo,
I'm a Morningstar fan and he's done more than I expected but KU went as far as they could last year with him and Reed getting significant minutes on the wing. Big 12 champs and Sweet 16 was overachieving. And Morningstar will be back before conference even starts so it's not like he's really missing that much. But even if he was back now I don't see him playing anywhere near the role he did last year.
Sherron, Taylor and X need to play lots of minutes. Then you've got Reed and Morningstar as similiar players and then you have Elijah Johnson looking very good in his first game and looks like a guy that is going to get minutes. Morningstar is valuable but he's not in the top 7-8 most important guys on the team. I actually prefer Reed to Morningstar because he's more consistent of a shooter.

Elmo,

If we hadn't signed X then I would agree with you totally. I think it will end up being a good thing because he will be back after the break and X will have established himself as the starter and Reed/EJ will have gotten good minutes as well. I think Morningstar will step back in as the 1st guard off the bench.

I agree that he is a key piece to a winning team. He is smart, shoots well, and understands the defensive schemes that Self wants. Self trusts him and that's about the biggest compliment you can get from your coach.

I think Reed is relegated to the spot shooter off the bench this year. Morningstar is a better all around player than Reed. Also, Elijah Johnson is such a good athlete I think it will be hard to keep him off the floor come conference season.

Elmo,

If we hadn't signed X then I would agree with you totally. I think it will end up being a good thing because he will be back after the break and X will have established himself as the starter and Reed/EJ will have gotten good minutes as well. I think Morningstar will step back in as the 1st guard off the bench.

I agree that he is a key piece to a winning team. He is smart, shoots well, and understands the defensive schemes that Self wants. Self trusts him and that's about the biggest compliment you can get from your coach.

I think Reed is relegated to the spot shooter off the bench this year. Morningstar is a better all around player than Reed. Also, Elijah Johnson is such a good athlete I think it will be hard to keep him off the floor come conference season.

I disagree with the fact Morningstar is better than Reed. I think Reed passes him this year. And Johnson could too. Reed is a much more consistent shooter and handles ball pressure better. This year that is what KU needs out of that spot.

I disagree with the fact Morningstar is better than Reed. I think Reed passes him this year. And Johnson could too. Reed is a much more consistent shooter and handles ball pressure better. This year that is what KU needs out of that spot.

Well, you disagree with Self as well because he obviously feels that Morningstar is better. It's funny you say that Reed is a "much more" consistent shooter when Morningstar shot a higher % on only 7 less attempts. They both shot the ball very well last year. Combine that with the fact that Morningstar actually is a much better defender than Reed then you see him as the spot player this year. Unless Reed proves that he can keep up defensively Morningstar will take his minutes when he returns.

Well, you disagree with Self as well because he obviously feels that Morningstar is better. It's funny you say that Reed is a "much more" consistent shooter when Morningstar shot a higher % on only 7 less attempts. They both shot the ball very well last year. Combine that with the fact that Morningstar actually is a much better defender than Reed then you see him as the spot player this year. Unless Reed proves that he can keep up defensively Morningstar will take his minutes when he returns.

Oh Snap.

Back