Jay Bilas' rankings 4.0 Warning he likes the BIG 12

Re: Jay Bilas' rankings 4.0 Warning he like the BIG 12

Big 10 has 2 in the top 10. 5 in the top 18. 6 in the top 22. 8 in the top 28.
ACC has 3 in the top 8, and 4 in the top 26.
Big East has 5 in the top 25.

Fun with numbers.

Last edited:
Re: Jay Bilas' rankings 4.0 Warning he like the BIG 12

Big 10 has 5 in the top 18. 6 in the top 22. 8 in the top 28.
ACC has 3 in the top 8, and 4 in the top 26.
Big East has 5 in the top 25.

Fun with numbers.

Even the SEC has 4 in the top 35. Granted they don't have 2 teams that compare with KU/Baylor in this ranking.

Yeah the big 12 has 2 very good teams. The rest? Not so much. I mean, of course we’re going to have teams ranked in the top 50. Someone has to be ranked there.

I think what might make those OU fans thinking the Big XII sucks this year is the bottom and top thirds.

Normally, you have 3-4 really strong teams that aren't that much different, 2-3 really good teams in the middle, and the bottom 4-5 teams still tough teams with great non-conference records.

This year the Big XII is the perfect example of a barbell- 2 great teams- 2 crap teams and 6 teams that are really solid, and on any given night can be either really good or really putrid.

Still a good conference overall, especially comparably to other conferences, just not the top-to-bottom strength we are used to seeing.

I think what might make those OU fans thinking the Big XII sucks this year is the bottom and top thirds.

Normally, you have 3-4 really strong teams that aren't that much different, 2-3 really good teams in the middle, and the bottom 4-5 teams still tough teams with great non-conference records.

This year the Big XII is the perfect example of a barbell- 2 great teams- 2 crap teams and 6 teams that are really solid, and on any given night can be either really good or really putrid.

Still a good conference overall, especially comparably to other conferences, just not the top-to-bottom strength we are used to seeing.

Spot on description of the conference this season, MJSooner! The dynamics you described seemed to be up and down like a seesaw from one game and one week to the next. Just when I thought I had it figured out, a team at or near the bottom proved me wrong by pulling off an upset. Baylor’s loss to WVU and to TCU late in the season are good examples. The Bears appeared to be virtually unbeatable early on. KU was the only constant, and even they had some close calls.

and if ISU didn't lose their best player in very well might have been 2 1 and 7

I think the middle of the Big 12, including OU would fare just fine against comparable seeds from those other conferences.

I think the middle of the Big 12, including OU would fare just fine against comparable seeds from those other conferences.

I guess we'll never know.
Probably a good thing the season got shut down in that regard.

I guess we'll never know.
Probably a good thing the season got shut down in that regard.

Yeah, probably. Have a great summer, hope you are as cheery and optimistic in the offseason as you are during the season.

Yeah, probably. Have a great summer, hope you are as cheery and optimistic in the offseason as you are during the season.

I will be just as optimistic in the off season as I was during the season.
We lose our best player. We bring in one new player who will likely have zero impact on improving next year.
We will have the same coaching staff who has proven it cannot evaluate/recruit or develop players.
So yeah, I'm pretty optimistic.

I will be just as optimistic in the off season as I was during the season.
We lose our best player. We bring in one new player who will likely have zero impact on improving next year.
We will have the same coaching staff who has proven it cannot evaluate/recruit or develop players.
So yeah, I'm pretty optimistic.

We get it. Players suck, coaches suck, program is a mess. It's amazing we keep getting lucky year after year and making the tournament with players who aren't talented to begin with and then don't improve while in Norman. But what is truly good news for you about the tourney being cancelled is that you were prepared for it months ago since you stopped watching OU midway through the season. Still confused as to how you can form all these opinions of a team that you no longer watch, but we'll trust your expertise.

Back