Kansas State

Our defense tonight has been terrible. Middlebrook abused our guards on simple screens at the elbow. Terrible switches to no switches.

Our defense tonight has been terrible. Middlebrook abused our guards on simple screens at the elbow. Terrible switches to no switches.

Specifically Ortiz... Again gives up 30.

Thats why we need TT for that exact circumstance. But she's out of control right now.. Gabbi w/ some big shots, some great plays-- She just truthfully can't guard anybody.

Specifically Ortiz... Again gives up 30.

Thats why we need TT for that exact circumstance. But she's out of control right now.. Gabbi w/ some big shots, some great plays-- She just truthfully can't guard anybody.

Probably a lot of it is her fault; but when she gets screened, the other guard has to switch.
On the play that Mulkey got her fourth foul, it was Little that didn't switch and left middlebrook a easy lay-up. And it happened a lot in the fourth quarter and in the ot.
The point guard position is still a problem. There were times in the fourth when it seemed like we were very lackadaisical in getting the offense started, resulting in a rushed shot at the end of the shotclock.
And when Mulkey is in the game, the point guard needs to wait until she gets in position after an opponent's basket. I believe it was the fourth quarter and Mulkey had just scored on a layup and KS went down and scored quickly. Edwards brings the ball down the court and dribbles down under our basket on the baseline and throws the ball to "nobody". Very careless.

Last edited:
I thought that they were just laying off of Middlebrook, trying not to foul. She usually isn't that big of a scorer.

We started strong. Once we cooled off at the end of the first quarter, we seemed to lose a lot of focus. we quit hitting shots, and we began to make those lazy passes that get you nowhere. I wish that Gioya, TT, and Gabbi would look before passing. There may be someone in the passing lane just waiting for a lazy pass.

Peyton was as cold tonight as she was hot on Sunday, 3 of 15 from the field. Ortiz was 4-4 from three, 5-9 from the field. Maddie was 8 of 15. But, she missed three free throws. First game in about six in which Maddie didn't hit two threes.

Vivi had a good game: 17 points, 6 boards, 4 blocks. Nancy was rushing her shot.

Glad that one is in the books.

Baylor trounced WV in Morgantown. OSU is winning at TCU. Tech beat Iowa State in Lubbock. Texas had all they wanted from KU in Lawrence, winning 66-54.

Probably a lot of it is her fault; but when she gets screened, the other guard has to switch.
On the play that Mulkey got her fourth foul, it was Little that didn't switch and left middlebrook a easy lay-up. And it happened a lot in the fourth quarter and in the ot.
The point guard position is still a problem. There were times in the fourth when it seemed like we were very lackadaisical in getting the offense started, resulting in a rushed shot at the end of the shotclock.
And when Mulkey is in the game, the point guard needs to wait until she gets in position after an opponent's basket. I believe it was the fourth quarter and Mulkey had just scored on a layup and KS went down and scored quickly. Edwards brings the ball down the court and dribbles down under our basket on the baseline and throws the ball to "nobody". Very careless.

They were obviously in a lot of pick and roll. But they weren't picking Peyton or Maddie. no way that gilr does that to TT ethier cause TT can beat the pick... Gabbi hits huge shots but she does give up a lot, as well

Any recruits at the game? Any idea when Tatum is going to announce where she is going?

My biggest problem with this game was the coaching. They finally figured out how to attack the zone with TT, Maddie, Nancy, and Peyton. Penetrate inside and go either to Nancy High or Maddie Low. We were getting excellent shots and were able to go up 11. The Sherri pulls TT and inserts Gabbi and the wheels fall off. We go back to dribble on the outside and settling for the outside shots. Very frustrating.

However a tough come back by our kids. Peyton couldn't hit a shot, but came through on defense for most of the game. Vivi played pretty solid. Maddie did a nice job of taking over. We have some really good pieces right now and I am trying to be patient waiting for them to put a full forty minutes together on a consistent basis. We really do have a solid chance of winning our next 3 and go 6-0.

Off to a quick start, then they go goofy. Literally no look passes to no one. Then in the 2nd half they start passing the ball around outside the 3 point arc until the shot clock nearly expires as no one wants to shoot. Start 5 of 6 on 3 pointers, then miss the next 7. Strange, but all too common.

They had a 13 point lead that evaporated in 1st half and a 12 point lead that did so in the second half. But at the end of regulation the played tough defense and hit a 3 to send it to overtime. Then took control to win it.

Bottom line, they played hard if not well. Mulkey and ViVi did a good job defensively. Missed too many shots under the basket. Guards missed too many free throws. Maddie had a good night rebounding.

Consistency should be the main goal. I wonder if the substitution isn't excessive. Some of the girls went in for one trip down the court.

My biggest problem with this game was the coaching. They finally figured out how to attack the zone with TT, Maddie, Nancy, and Peyton. Penetrate inside and go either to Nancy High or Maddie Low. We were getting excellent shots and were able to go up 11. The Sherri pulls TT and inserts Gabbi and the wheels fall off. We go back to dribble on the outside and settling for the outside shots. Very frustrating.

You're confusing me a little.

TT played 35 seconds in Q1. We lead 25 - 12 (13 pt lead).

Q2: TT starts, has a TO at 8:43, then an assist at 8:33. She goes out at 7:35 (score is now 29-16, still a 13 pt lead, never re-enters.

Q3: TT enters at 2:35 (score is 46 - 40 OU), has an assist at 2:18, an assist at 1:51, a score at 0:43. Score 54 - 44 at end of Q3 ( we lead by 10).

Q4: TT stays in, has an assist at 9:26, a TO at 8:57, a rebound at 8:38. Out at 7:57. Score is 56 - 48 (OU by 8). Never re-enters. Score tied at end of Q4.

OT: TT enters at 0:36, subbing for Vivi. Score 83 - 78 (OU by 5). game ends with OU up by 5 (85 - 80).

It appears Sherri may be trying to get TT to control the careless turnovers. She is pulled pretty quickly after one. She does some good things, but we cannot win with so many careless turnovers. Hopefully she will find a way to get that one issue solved. She did some good things between the turnovers, and can really help us going forward if she can play with a bit more discipline. I think Sherri is trying to help her think about that. Hopefully it works.

Q2: TT starts, has a TO at 8:43, then an assist at 8:33. She goes out at 7:35 (score is now 29-16, still a 13 pt lead, never re-enters.

Q3: TT enters at 2:35 (score is 46 - 40 OU), has an assist at 2:18, an assist at 1:51, a score at 0:43. Score 54 - 44 at end of Q3 ( we lead by 10).

Q4: TT stays in, has an assist at 9:26, a TO at 8:57, a rebound at 8:38. Out at 7:57. Score is 56 - 48 (OU by 8). Never re-enters. Score tied at end of Q4.

OT: TT enters at 0:36, subbing for Vivi. Score 83 - 78 (OU by 5). game ends with OU up by 5 (85 - 80).

It appears Sherri may be trying to get TT to control the careless turnovers. She is pulled pretty quickly after one. She does some good things, but we cannot win with so many careless turnovers. Hopefully she will find a way to get that one issue solved. She did some good things between the turnovers, and can really help us going forward if she can play with a bit more discipline. I think Sherri is trying to help her think about that. Hopefully it works.

TT is a senior with 15 regular season games remaining. The careless TO's are the same ones she made as a freshman only she is no longer a freshman. She never learned to play under control. She has never learned if you don't have numbers in transition to stop forcing the issue. Those same mistakes will end the day she plays her last game.

She makes many contributions but manages to offset almost all of them with stupid mistakes. She is absent the basketball smarts mistakes teach her nothing. Sherri needs her on the court and needs her own the bench as she is damned if does and damned if she doesn't. Unfortunately TT is what she is.

We can pray, hope, cross our fingers and stomp our foot with regard to TT but I suspect it is all for naught. For certain the exasperation and the excitement she brings will be gone before long. I am ready to quit watching wasted potential.

No confusion, my point was that TT attacked the defense and helped increase our lead, Gabbi didn't. When we stopped attacking, we didn't make the defense react and we settled for the outside shot. Answer me why Gabbi can't attack as the point guard and continue what was successful for the team.

Last edited:
TT is a senior with 15 regular season games remaining. The careless TO's are the same ones she made as a freshman only she is no longer a freshman. She never learned to play under control. She has never learned if you don't have numbers in transition to stop forcing the issue. Those same mistakes will end the day she plays her last game.

She makes many contributions but manages to offset almost all of them with stupid mistakes. She is absent the basketball smarts mistakes teach her nothing. Sherri needs her on the court and needs her own the bench as she is damned if does and damned if she doesn't. Unfortunately TT is what she is.

We can pray, hope, cross our fingers and stomp our foot with regard to TT but I suspect it is all for naught. For certain the exasperation and the excitement she brings will be gone before long. I am ready to quit watching wasted potential.

You hit the nail squarely on the head with that post, Spock. TT is a riddle wrapped in an enigma. She's a bundle of energy with lots of talent and potential, but she'll never be better than she is now because she simply can't learn from her mistakes.

Out of curiosity, just what is it that Gabbi has learned since coming onto the court? She still misses more than hits, is bad this year at the line, dribbles around the outside until we throw up a desperation shot or turns it over...she's a junior and isn't any better than she was on her first minute on an OU floor.

She is serviceable as a point guard and often does good and bad things things that she be doing better or have stopped by now.

TT is no different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity, just what is it that Gabbi has learned since coming onto the court? She still misses more than hits, is bad this year at the line, dribbles around the outside until we throw up a desperation shot or turns it over...she's a junior and isn't any better than she was on her first minute on an OU floor.

She is serviceable as a point guard and often does good and bad things things that she be doing better or have stopped by now.

TT is no different.

That falls back to the coaches imo.

TT is no different.

The thing I have noticed is that Gabbi has stepped up as we have moved into the conference season. Perhaps that is also evident in practice. We were in deep trouble yesterday until she hit that 3 with 20 seconds left in regulation.

In our 3 big-12 games Gabbi has shot 43%, and 63% from the three. She is averaging 5.3 rebounds per game. She has 17 assists to just 7 for TT. They each have 6 turnovers, but for Gabbi that was in 30 minutes per game to just 12.5 for TT.

Over the years we have all been frustrated by the excessive dribbling, but it has seemed to me that a lot of that has stopped this year. At times we really moved the ball well yesterday, and honestly worked into some excellent shots in the 2nd half - but just missed so many of them.

Gabbi has been our most reliable free throw shooter for the past couple of years. She shot 87.5% last year and was headed there this year until a couple of games ago when she, Maddie, and Peyton decided to miss a bunch of free throws.

If you caught Sherri's show with Rowland tonight, you notice that she had some statements on Gabbi. Said she sat her for a couple of games to let her regain her focus, and she did.

I notice that Sherri referred to Maddie as an eighth-year senior on the post-game show after K-State. Hopefully, there will be a ninth. Sherri doesn't seem to mind if Maddie or Peyton shoot badly, as long as they keep firing. They are the most productive scorers that we have. They can have a quiet twenty-five as Peyton did, or twenty as Maddie did against K-State. You don't even notice that they are scoring. Maddie scored some points on garbage collection.

Syb, past years is not what we were talking about.

Back