MBB Portal Thread 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have plenty of evidence that Noland wasn't able to produce at this level. What did he do that makes you think he SHOULD be on the floor?

CJ shot 35.7% from the field, 23.6% from 3, he had 20 TOs to 15 assts in 14.2 mpg

in comparison

Jacob Groves shot 43.8% from the field, 38.1% from 3, 27 TOs and 26 assts in 19.6 mpg

I'm not saying he should be starting or playing major minutes every game. I'm saying that in a game where we are struggling to score and our guards are struggling mightily it is worth putting him for a few minutes to see if he can provide a spark. That's all. (Unless there is something else going on we don't know about of course).

I'm not saying he should be starting or playing major minutes every game. I'm saying that in a game where we are struggling to score and our guards are struggling mightily it is worth putting him for a few minutes to see if he can provide a spark. That's all. (Unless there is something else going on we don't know about of course).

I might agree if he had shown in the past that he would provide that type of spark.

I will say this...I have coached for 26 years at the HS and college levels and you DO sometimes get comfortable with your rotations and you may kind of overlook a guy here and there. I had one this year that I didn't give a lot of chances to in the past and gave him a couple of chances this year and did give us a little spark here and there.....but sometimes they will come in and give you exactly what you thought in your mind they would give you when you were sitting them on the bench. LOL

I might agree if he had shown in the past that he would provide that type of spark.

I will say this...I have coached for 26 years at the HS and college levels and you DO sometimes get comfortable with your rotations and you may kind of overlook a guy here and there. I had one this year that I didn't give a lot of chances to in the past and gave him a couple of chances this year and did give us a little spark here and there.....but sometimes they will come in and give you exactly what you thought in your mind they would give you when you were sitting them on the bench. LOL

Of course, you know the players better than anyone but I have seen cases where a coach will overlook a guy that could possibly help when the team is struggling. The coach has a million things swirling through his head during a game but it's strange that Moser went from hockey line changes the entire game (I criticized him for not letting guys get in a rhythm) to tightening the rotation so much that certain guys don't see the floor at all.

I'm no PM defender, but if you know Noland is leaving the program, and we ALL new that before last night, there is no reason to play him in that game, or any of the games over the past few weeks.

Noland was given a chance. He played pretty terribly, and ate his way to the bench. Harsh but true. He isn't going to be overly successful anywhere until he takes things more seriously.

Last edited:
Sad to see you resort to bashing the players and making excuses for the coach paid to lead the program.

Bashing players? I told the truth. not an opinion. facts. Facts hurt.

Did you know he was leaving a few weeks ago? Why would you play him...?

Bashing players? I told the truth. not an opinion. facts. Facts hurt.

Did you know he was leaving a few weeks ago? Why would you play him...?

Saying that Grant wasn't playing hard/didn't care certainly seems more opinion than fact. That, and saying Uzan would be a front-runner if he left, is what I'm referring to.

Saying that Grant wasn't playing hard/didn't care certainly seems more opinion than fact. That, and saying Uzan would be a front-runner if he left, is what I'm referring to.

Switching gears on me. I was referring to noland. The one we were talking about in this thread.

I agreed with someone that looked like grant mailed in last night.

What excuses? His leash is short. He knows that. Heck he may not be here next year. Still a real possibility.

Don’t just drop this in here and not follow it up coach! No way he’s getting fired so it has to be thinking about going somewhere else. Assuming ND, but several other openings now. He’s seemed pretty emphatic with shutting that down though.

Switching gears on me. I was referring to noland. The one we were talking about in this thread.

I agreed with someone that looked like grant mailed in last night.

I believe "mailed it in" is a poor phrase to use. No doubt GS had a terrible shooting night that was way below what we would expect from him. I think mailed it in is more appropriate for someone not trying hard and I saw no evidence GS was not trying hard to help us win.

Some intriguing names in the portal (or have announced intentions) so far (it's early)...

Guards/Wings

Nick Timberlake (Towson)

6'4 shooter. Great stroke. 17.7 ppg, about 4 rpg. Decent defender. My opinion is somewhat due to recency bias (watched him this week) but I feel like he's the type of player that would help OU tremendously. His averages would likely go down in a (much) better conference but he's still a kid who'd take pressure off other players (like Uzan/Cooper) by forcing defenses to respect/guard him closer/not help as often. If they don't, and leave him open, he can hit open shots. Sadly, he'll be a target for some big-time programs and would be a hard target to land. 1 year to play.

Nate Calmese (Lamar)

6'2 combo guard type. 17.6 ppg as a true frosh. A bit erratic but with 3 years to play, plenty of time to learn/mature. From Arizona. A lot of potential. Another kid who could be recruited by some high majors.

Kevin "Boopie" Miller (Central Michigan)

6'0 point guard. Averaged 13 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 4.6 apg as a true frosh in '21-22. Was a MAC all-freshman selection. Only played in 4 games this season due to (a foot) injury. The assumption is that he'd get a injury RS granted and be eligible to play 3 more years. From Chicago.

Bigs

Josh Cohen (St. Francis PA)

6'10. Averaged 21.8 ppg and about 8 rpg. He reminds me of Nikola Jokic, somewhat. He's not imposing athletically but is cerebral/is effective. Not sure how he'd translate in a league like the B12. 2 years to play.

Fardaws Aimaq (Texas Tech)

Obviously a player we've all seen and a player Moser/staff recruited last offseason. I think he gained some bad weight due to his foot injury and needs to shed some of it. It really limited his mobility. I saw a Tech fan call him Fardaws Bigmaq. I laughed (because I'm a grown child). But it's easy to see that Tech's season improved with Aimaq in the lineup. If healthy from the start of the season, Tech is probably a tourney team...even with a head coach who wasn't 100% coaching/bought in (affair, etc...his firing wasn't due to the stuff that's been reported, not entirely anyway but it was used to show cause). About 11 ppg/8 rpg. Should have 1 year to play.

BJ Mack (Wofford)

6'8 245. Wofford is the school OU plucked Godwin from, Mack/Godwin are, reportedly, friends. 16.6 ppg, 5.6 rpg...his shooting numbers took a dip this year but Mack has the ability to pick/pop/stretch the floor. 1 year to play.

Chris Ledlum (Harvard)

6'6 225. Wing or Big...I'll call him a stretch big. OU is one of like 40 schools to reach out already. Due to the Ivy League rules about not being able to play 5 years, Ledlum has 1 year to play elsewhere. Ledlum was the Mass Gatorade POY and had numerous high major offers coming out of HS. 4 star/top 100. 18.8 ppg, 8.5 rpg this season. Needs to improve his shooting numbers from 3P.

Can any of these guys jump/dunk the ball?? I feel like Ledlum or Timberlake would be my top two choices out of this group so far.

Good stuff as always, NAIA! I’m betting Mack is a Sooner next year. I think he would be a good addition. I’d take him over hill at the 4 rn.

Good stuff as always, NAIA! I’m betting Mack is a Sooner next year. I think he would be a good addition. I’d take him over hill at the 4 rn.

How's his defense?

How's his defense?

Good question. I have little doubt Hill is the better defender. I just am tired of having a 6-6 guy masquerading as a pf in the most difficult conference in the country. Osu had better PFs than hill on their bench (tyreke or Boone).

Good question. I have little doubt Hill is the better defender. I just am tired of having a 6-6 guy masquerading as a pf in the most difficult conference in the country. Osu had better PFs than hill on their bench (tyreke or Boone).

Yeah, I'm here with you. I kept asking myself all year if Hill was really an elite defender, or was just a good defender on a team with not many other good defenders with size.

I love his hustle and don't-quit attitude, but I was never sold on him being a great defender. Hopefully, we can find someone who impacts the game more on offense. If he wants to come back, that's great but I certainly wouldn't be held hostage by NIL deals if that's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back