My Official Preseason Prediction on the Team

cowboysooner

Reaction score
2nd or 3d in the Big 12

Finals of the Big 12 Tournament

Elite 8 participant.

My Thinking: Every 4 or 5 years Lon builds a senior dominated team that is really good. Last one was Buddy's last year, and we are due.

This is a senior laden team with a lot of young talent in the wings that will be energetic to play.

We have good size, depth on the inside (Rick, Victor, Hill and AG), and good guard play (really good if Gibson gets to play). These are essential elements of a good tournament team.

Defining issue: Outside shooting percentage -- first. Inside defense and rebounding by Manek and KK -- second.

We should be a low turnover team. A team that shoots a high percentage from the free throw line. We should shoot a lot of free throws (harman, reaves and williams all penetrate well). We should be a decent defensive team with KK in the lineup and a seasoned harmon at point.

I'll have what you're having. Sign me up for that immediately

2nd or 3d in the Big 12

Finals of the Big 12 Tournament

Elite 8 participant.

My Thinking: Every 4 or 5 years Lon builds a senior dominated team that is really good. Last one was Buddy's last year, and we are due.

This is a senior laden team with a lot of young talent in the wings that will be energetic to play.

We have good size, depth on the inside (Rick, Victor, Hill and AG), and good guard play (really good if Gibson gets to play). These are essential elements of a good tournament team.

Defining issue: Outside shooting percentage -- first. Inside defense and rebounding by Manek and KK -- second.

We should be a low turnover team. A team that shoots a high percentage from the free throw line. We should shoot a lot of free throws (harman, reaves and williams all penetrate well). We should be a decent defensive team with KK in the lineup and a seasoned harmon at point.

You will get 3 or 4 "likes" for sure.

I fear this team could be a lot like 2 years ago. Sr. laden team/young talent, (new players via transfer), but it just never meshes well and the results are less than hoped for.

Nothing against Calixte and Reynolds but it seems to me that the ones we have now are much better than those guys. Time will tell I guess. I don't think he had much talent, but I absolutely loved Reynolds' attitude. He became a great Sooner!

My prediction Harmon does not play the point. Reaves starts at point. Mo will likely be in the starting lineup

Harmon. Gibson. AR12. Manek. Kur. Should start.

Williams. Hill. Victor. Phipps. Top 9
Harkless #10

Rick. Anyang.

I think finish top 4

I think this team can finish 3rd in the Big 12, maybe with a bit more authority than the 3rd place finish last year. We have two players that should at least make the 2nd All Big 12 squad (maybe 1st) and another two that could be in the mix in Harmon and Gibson depending on how they develop. That's a good starting 4. I'm not a believer in Kur. Lon's project bigs never really turn out into anything but good off the bench energy players and that's what Kur is.

I think the other thing that keeps this team from making the Elite 8, as OP suggested, is that we have no great players. There's no one on this team that NBA scouts are excited about.

It would be nice if Manek could make that next step and turn into a Big 12 player of the year contender or Hill or Victor could be good enough to keep Kur on the bench. Maybe one of those happens.

Rebounding is going to be a challenge. Reaves and Manek are going to have to hit the boards.

Rebounding is going to be a challenge. Reaves and Manek are going to have to hit the boards.

Good point. Our best rebounder from last year (Doolittle) is gone. JB was our best rebounding guard, and he’s no longer around.

As I see it, our only option may be to rebound by committee. If most or all of our players rush to get back in transition as soon as a shot goes up, the way they did last season, we’re going to make it easy for our opponents to control the defensive boards.

Good point. Our best rebounder from last year (Doolittle) is gone. JB was our best rebounding guard, and he’s no longer around.

As I see it, our only option may be to rebound by committee. If most or all of our players rush to get back in transition as soon as a shot goes up, the way they did last season, we’re going to make it easy for our opponents to control the defensive boards.

Statisically, Reaves was our best rebounding guard (and third-best on the team) last season -- he was averaging 5.3 per game to JB's 4.

Simple solution: we'll shoot a high percentage on the offensive side and be able to focus on defensive rebounding.

Statisically, Reaves was our best rebounding guard (and third-best on the team) last season -- he was averaging 5.3 per game to JB's 4.

You’re right, Sky. Guess I had a mental block when I looked at the stats. Thanks for the correction!

I'm going to really try and just enjoy the season...hopefully season will go well.

Back