New ARENA as part of entertainment District

That doesn't seem accurate. I think most around here thought he was the best realistic option, no? If not him, who did people want? Sure, some thru around the names of star coaches that weren't coming, but realistically, who did the majority want?
I wanted Grant McCasland. (But was very happy with the PM hire as I didn't think he was a realistic candidate.)

Teams that had Porter on their candidate list:
-Oklahoma (obv)
-Marquette
-Indiana

Some one offs:

-Duke columnist brought him up as a candidate
-Boston College writer brought him up as a candidate

Words from the ever-reliable Parker Thune:

"In my eyes, this is the epitome of a slam-dunk hire. I think Moser's coaching philosophy is a perfect fit in a brutally difficult Big 12, and he's the type of subdued-yet-emphatic leader that young men have no choice but to respect. I'll reiterate a sentiment that I've shared on social media several times over the past few weeks: Moser is clearly the ideal candidate for any Power 5 school looking to fill a coaching vacancy. If I were an AD with such a vacancy, Moser would be my first call, and if he was interested in accepting the position, he'd be my only call. No disrespect to McCasland, Sampson, Turgeon or any of the other coaches in the Sooners' pool, but there just isn't a guy I would rather have than Moser."

Edit: Parker clearly knew all along then as well

Also, for the "Moser didn't have an empty cupboard crowd"

"Moser immediately steps into a sticky situation in Norman, as he'll have some huge holes to fill in 2021. Within the past week, the Sooners have lost all three of their double-digit scorers from the 2020-21 season, as Austin Reaves and De'Vion Harmon declared for the NBA draft and Brady Manek hit the transfer portal. Oklahoma also saw reserves Trey Phipps, Anyang Garang and Victor Iwuakor depart via the portal, while 6-foot-10 rim protector Kur Kuath intends to turn pro. With that laundry list of players set to leave the program, Moser will have to replace a whopping 53.4 points per game. Incoming freshman guards Bijan Cortes and C.J. Noland figure to see some run right off the bat, and the Sooners will likely look to bring in a few transfers of their own to round out the roster. However, keep in mind that when Moser took the job at Loyola-Chicago, the program hadn't even made the NCAA tournament field since 1985. It's not the first time the guy has been dealt a tough hand." -PT

Not that this means much now and is par for the course it seems.

I look at it as people keep complaining about the coach (Capel, Kruger’s post 2016, and Moser) and give the guy hiring them a pass. “Joe is GOAT” and yet mens coach after coach struggles to have a .500 record in conference, we have an arena only people who saw Mookie play still love, and no NIL to speak of.

I think Joe should shoulder the blame and right the ship. I don’t give him any ribbons for not running Sampson off. Yay him. If he had done that he would have been an actively bad hire. As is, he seems bad for basketball.
This is the point I was trying to make on Scoop. Under Joe C's watch, basketball has been mostly mediocre or average. I eventually gave up because some fans can't deal with any (slight) slander towards the athletic department. It's not like I want to be critical. I'm not the negative nancy type.

I "love" Joe C just as much as the next (homer) OU fan but...

Whether or not the Moser hire was thought to be good at the time, doesn't really matter, Moser is faltering just like Capel and/or Kruger. You can't take Blake Griffin and/or Buddy Hield away, obviously, but outside of those two, things would have been tragically bad under Joe C.

What do those coaches share in common? I would say it's an athletics department that hasn't invested properly into the program or an athletic department that just doesn't understand how to achieve consistently good results. Some will say all three coaches suck/ed. That may be true as well. If that's true, that's still on the athletics department for making three bad-to-mediocre hires in a row. The same athletics department allowed Coale to linger way too long. Jennie B looks like a really good hire, so far, but that story is just beginning. She was left with a great foundation. The question remains; will she do as well without the players she inherited?

And the people who keep saying the NIL isn't on the AD, flat-out wrong. You can live life under a rock if you want to but of course the AD is ultimately in charge of that. Hence Moser using DePaul to get more "fundraising". OU has been slow to react to a lot of things. NIL being one of them and we got stuck with the chitty C&C because of it.

I don't even know what we can do at this point. Accept the mediocrity. Accept that they won't get the arena issue right. In 20-30 years (post-build), people will call the UNP stupid IMO....because it fuccing is. But if you question anything, you're called stupid, or you're told, "OU doesn't have the money". Fuccing invest in the program, find the money. Knock on every metaphorical door there is. It's my opinion that they aren't interested in finding the money for an on-campus arena because they want the UNP. I know, "they've tried". I've never seen an official on-campus plan. Why not? Why can't OU nation see what might be possible? Why can't we crowdfund? Or at least have it as a public talking point?

For basketball only, OU has the wrong leadership. I don't care if "Joe C loves basketball". He's done a really bad job making sure this program is in a good place now and heading towards the future.

Last edited:
And...

OU basketball has slipped down the list(s) when it comes to revenue (and by extension, spending). They aren't even in the top 20 IIRC (based on the last time I looked).

They make about $2M in profit. It could be much more....at least $1-2M more.

Also, for the "Moser didn't have an empty cupboard crowd"

"Moser immediately steps into a sticky situation in Norman, as he'll have some huge holes to fill in 2021. Within the past week, the Sooners have lost all three of their double-digit scorers from the 2020-21 season, as Austin Reaves and De'Vion Harmon declared for the NBA draft and Brady Manek hit the transfer portal. Oklahoma also saw reserves Trey Phipps, Anyang Garang and Victor Iwuakor depart via the portal, while 6-foot-10 rim protector Kur Kuath intends to turn pro. With that laundry list of players set to leave the program, Moser will have to replace a whopping 53.4 points per game. Incoming freshman guards Bijan Cortes and C.J. Noland figure to see some run right off the bat, and the Sooners will likely look to bring in a few transfers of their own to round out the roster. However, keep in mind that when Moser took the job at Loyola-Chicago, the program hadn't even made the NCAA tournament field since 1985. It's not the first time the guy has been dealt a tough hand." -PT

Not that this means much now and is par for the course it seems.
Kruger's three best players left; Alondes, Brady, and/or AR.

His HS commit class was; Noland and/or Bijan (LOLOLOLOL).

The cupboard was bare af.

It's his fault that he added more mid-major talent like the Groves. To say he had no idea what to expect in the Big 12 is an understatement.

Last edited:
This is the point I was trying to make on Scoop. Under Joe C's watch, basketball has been mostly mediocre or average. I eventually gave up because some fans can't deal with any (slight) slander towards the athletic department. It's not like I want to be critical. I'm not the negative nancy type.

I "love" Joe C just as much as the next (homer) OU fan but...

Whether or not the Moser hire was thought to be good at the time, doesn't really matter, Moser is faltering just like Capel and/or Kruger. You can't take Blake Griffin and/or Buddy Hield away, obviously, but outside of those two, things would have been tragically bad under Joe C.

What do those coaches share in common? I would say it's an athletics department that hasn't invested properly into the program or an athletic department that just doesn't understand how to achieve consistently good results. Some will say all three coaches suck/ed. That may be true as well. If that's true, that's still on the athletics department for making three bad-to-mediocre hires in a row. The same athletics department allowed Coale to linger way too long. Jennie B looks like a really good hire, so far, but that story is just beginning. She was left with a great foundation. The question remains; will she do as well without the players she inherited?

And the people who keep saying the NIL isn't on the AD, flat-out wrong. You can live life under a rock if you want to but of course the AD is ultimately in charge of that. Hence Moser using DePaul to get more "fundraising". OU has been slow to react to a lot of things. NIL being one of them and we got stuck with the chitty C&C because of it.

I don't even know what we can do at this point. Accept the mediocrity. Accept that they won't get the arena issue right. In 20-30 years (post-build), people will call the UNP stupid IMO....because it fuccing is. But if you question anything, you're called stupid, or you're told, "OU doesn't have the money". Fuccing invest in the program, find the money. Knock on every metaphorical door there is. It's my opinion that they aren't interested in finding the money for an on-campus arena because they want the UNP. I know, "they've tried". I've never seen an official on-campus plan. Why not? Why can't OU nation see what might be possible? Why can't we crowdfund? Or at least have it as a public talking point?

For basketball only, OU has the wrong leadership. I don't care if "Joe C loves basketball". He's done a really bad job making sure this program is in a good place now and heading towards the future.
Agree, the only justification I can see for the way Castiliogne has treated men’s basketball (& baseball) is the relative bang for the buck that women’s sports is generating. As someone who grew up with Sampson’s teams, it’s personally disappointing but I can understand from a dollars & cents aspect in a way especially with football needs.

Regardless, while the OU alumni base is not Texas or Michigan it should still be possible to support top half of league facilities & especially a competitive NIL apparatus, increasingly convinced there is no institutional will/competency outside of FB/women’s & Olympic sports.

The UNP is great IMO since there appears to be no alternative but seeing Harroz argue in public (even if a hollow talking point) that they will move the team out of Norman makes me think they have no ****ing clue what they’re doing.

It's his fault that he added more mid-major talent like the Groves. To say he had no idea what to expect in the Big 12 is an understatement.
Again, it’s all relative. 3 returning starters from a round of 32 team is a much better situation than many/most coaches find themselves in these days. No one is suggesting that he inherited a ready made, top 10-15 team. He absolutely took over a program that should not go 3 seasons without making the tournament.

Last edited:

Most of the players cited above left AFTER Moser was hired. That matters. He had a chance to retain them. I'm not saying it's easy but it happens.

And LOLing at Noland is hindsight. He was as highly rated (or very nearly so) as Oweh and Uzan (unless we're LOLing at them too now--Moser has been credited for recruiting them up till now but maybe that's changed).

Is this happening? I know the president said if the city won't approve it they will move our athletic events to another city that will, such as Moore...I really hope it gets approved. Both basketball programs deserve something new and nice, and I believe it'll help with recruiting as well. Fingers crossed!

Is this happening? I know the president said if the city won't approve it they will move our athletic events to another city that will, such as Moore...I really hope it gets approved. Both basketball programs deserve something new and nice, and I believe it'll help with recruiting as well. Fingers crossed!
OU fans always over-estimate how much stuff like this will matter. I can't see an off-campus arena moving the needle much in terms of recruiting.

Reminds me of when OU football fans thought being a "Jordan school" would have a huge impact. Literally never anything any of the recruits ever mention.

OU fans always over-estimate how much stuff like this will matter. I can't see an off-campus arena moving the needle much in terms of recruiting.

Reminds me of when OU football fans thought being a "Jordan school" would have a huge impact. Literally never anything any of the recruits ever mention.
Where you are wrong is the perception that visiting the LNC vs visiting a new arena brings.
You take a recruit to the LNC after he visits UT or baylor or Kansas and they probably laugh.
You take them to a new arena in a new district with housing and bars and entertainment, it would leave an impression that OU is invested in the program.

Where you are wrong is the perception that visiting the LNC vs visiting a new arena brings.
You take a recruit to the LNC after he visits UT or baylor or Kansas and they probably laugh.
You take them to a new arena in a new district with housing and bars and entertainment, it would leave an impression that OU is invested in the program.
I just don't agree with that. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'm not saying it wouldn't matter at all, I just don't think it would have a tangible impact on the program. I honestly don't. Especially one off campus.

well, i hope it doesn't come to the new arena (if approved) being off-campus. Students wouldn't go, that's one thing. but, other folks that live outside of Norman and wouldn't necessarily go to the game could be attracted there, especially if there are other businesses attached, such as restaurants, shopping, etc. I think it would be a good thing either way, just hope it ends up in Norman vs. outside of it.

well, i hope it doesn't come to the new arena (if approved) being off-campus. Students wouldn't go, that's one thing. but, other folks that live outside of Norman and wouldn't necessarily go to the game could be attracted there, especially if there are other businesses attached, such as restaurants, shopping, etc. I think it would be a good thing either way, just hope it ends up in Norman vs. outside of it.
Sad. Going to games when I was a student was so enjoyable. But then again, I grew up watching Kelvin and those teams and always had a huge love for OU bball. Our students have sucked with football and bball attendance for several years. I blame social media and technology advancements. These kids would rather stay alone in their dorms/apartments than be around a lot of other people.

ON CAMPUS

Parking garage.

Statues of the GOAT Wayman, Buddy, & Griffin. Maybe Tubbs? A play on Heisman Park.
I think we have to incorporate the culture wall in the design. Maybe build the arena within the wall, kind of like the baseball stadiums in Baltimore and San Diego utilize existing structures to really capture the identity and feel of the area.

Back