New ARENA as part of entertainment District

They have wasted a ton of money renovating the LNC twice. It’s nearly impossible to tell the difference.
Joe C might be a great AD but his ability to generate a profit is poor. OU has revenues of nearly 300 million and a profit of less than a million dollars. It’s terrible margins.
I will always say he doesn’t do a good job with basketball.

They have wasted a ton of money renovating the LNC twice. It’s nearly impossible to tell the difference.
Joe C might be a great AD but his ability to generate a profit is poor. OU has revenues of nearly 300 million and a profit of less than a million dollars. It’s terrible margins.
How many are better?

Not many.

when?

It's not a business. It's not about profit. Fans would complain if he had a pile of money that went unspent. How many schools are turning any profit? Very few.

Joe Castiglione is the best money managing AD I’ve ever seen. He has had multiple years when OU had top 2 profit margins in the country (with far less total revenue yet still way more successful athletics than other top revenue programs).

Joe Castiglione is the best money managing AD I’ve ever seen. He has had multiple years when OU had top 2 profit margins in the country (with far less total revenue yet still way more successful athletics than other top revenue programs).
I agree Joe C is a magician with the books and P&L but that’s not always a good thing when building athletic programs.

If he’s still able to run a profit when revenues are down that means cuts were made somewhere or dollars aren’t allocated to support as during a “normal” year. The athletic department isn’t a business that tries to maximize profits to create shareholder value. The goal should be to create top revenues to support the programs, not have millions leftover.

And I think the hoops program(s) are perfect examples. They need support more than they are getting but, IMO, Joe C is more concerned about managing the balance sheet. He seems more comfortable in being good and controlling P&L vs. putting support into it to be great. If they happen to blow up like Jennie B, awesome, but that’s not his expectation or standard. At least that’s the way it seems.

Maybe it’s because him and Joe H. aren’t great at the fundraising and partnering part of the roles.

Of course I don’t know what goes on behind the scenes but the only statements we’ve heard on the critical timing and importance of a new arena is when Joe H threatens Norman. Mainly because the proposal is a financial win for the University that still gets an arena.

Great with the books- just would like to see more visible results on support other than a comment of veiled extortion for an off campus arena paid for by someone else.

That’s not the all-in support we need for basketball from the AD and Prez.

I agree Joe C is a magician with the books and P&L but that’s not always a good thing when building athletic programs.

If he’s still able to run a profit when revenues are down that means cuts were made somewhere or dollars aren’t allocated to support as during a “normal” year. The athletic department isn’t a business that tries to maximize profits to create shareholder value. The goal should be to create top revenues to support the programs, not have millions leftover.

And I think the hoops program(s) are perfect examples. They need support more than they are getting but, IMO, Joe C is more concerned about managing the balance sheet. He seems more comfortable in being good and controlling P&L vs. putting support into it to be great. If they happen to blow up like Jennie B, awesome, but that’s not his expectation or standard. At least that’s the way it seems.

Maybe it’s because him and Joe H. aren’t great at the fundraising and partnering part of the roles.

Of course I don’t know what goes on behind the scenes but the only statements we’ve heard on the critical timing and importance of a new arena is when Joe H threatens Norman. Mainly because the proposal is a financial win for the University that still gets an arena.

Great with the books- just would like to see more visible results on support other than a comment of veiled extortion for an off campus arena paid for by someone else.

I think Joes are good at fundraising too. We don’t have a ton of whale donors unfortunately. There’s nothing they can do about that. I don’t like how the leadership is handling NIL but I also understand it because they are attorneys. They are waiting for the new state bill to pass that allows them to take over the NIL themselves essentially and use donor funds (at least that’s my understanding anyway).

NIL isn’t the problem with Joe .. it is that he has overseen the decay of our program. We’ve had more losing seasons under his coaches than the previous 40 years *combined*.

OU doesn't get money from the college. It is self-sustaining. So it is hard to go over budget.

Boulder it was renovated in 2001 and 2013. There is also a current renovation of locker rooms and coaches office occurring.

Athletic departments aren’t supposed to be making profits however when the budget is 300 million you shouldn’t have issues obtaining what you need. Of course we also carry a bunch of debt. Don’t worry they will just keep asking us to donate more. For those of you who have football tickets it’s great when you see the extra pledge you made. They add to everyone whether you pledged it or not. I’m sure many pay it thinking it’s required.

NIL isn’t the problem with Joe .. it is that he has overseen the decay of our program. We’ve had more losing seasons under his coaches than the previous 40 years *combined*.
That isn't true. At least, not how it's worded its not. Not even close, really.

That isn't true. At least, not how it's worded its not. Not even close, really.
It is literally true. From Mccloud to Sampson we had 3 losing seasons, From Capel to Moser (Joe’s hires) we have had 5.

It is literally true. From Mccloud to Sampson we had 3 losing seasons, From Capel to Moser (Joe’s hires) we have had 5.

40 years going "back" from when Joe C. was hired in 1998 is 1958. That takes you back into an era when OU had a decade straight of losing records.

I guess the way you worded it, if you don't count Joe C's coaches until starting with Capel, but the 40 years going back starts at the end of Sampson's tenure, even though Joe C. kept Sampson employed for 9 of his 12 seasons, you are correct. Just a weird way to word it or look at it IMO. Joe C. didn't hire Sampson, but I'd give him credit for much of his tenure. JMO.

I started my "40 years back" from 1998 when Joe C. was brought in. Again, we're just looking at the starting points differently.

Still pretty dumb to suggest Joe C. has failed OU basketball though, IMO. I'm guessing you were ecstatic about the Moser hire when it happened. Most were. You don't get to back off that and blame Joe C. for a "bad hire" now.

I'm guessing you were ecstatic about the Moser hire when it happened. Most were. You don't get to back off that and blame Joe C. for a "bad hire" now.
Many liked the hire, but I'm not sure it was most. And no more than a tiny minority were actually ecstatic.

Many liked the hire, but I'm not sure it was most. And no more than a tiny minority were actually ecstatic.
That doesn't seem accurate. I think most around here thought he was the best realistic option, no? If not him, who did people want? Sure, some thru around the names of star coaches that weren't coming, but realistically, who did the majority want?

That doesn't seem accurate. I think most around here thought he was the best realistic option, no? If not him, who did people want? Sure, some thru around the names of star coaches that weren't coming, but realistically, who did the majority want?
"Best we can do" does not equal "ecstatic."

It's on a very short list for biggest splash hires Joe C has made in any sport. It may not work out as we'd hoped, but he went big on this one, and it brought a lot of excitement. It's easy to criticize now, but he was considered a pipedream target when Lon announced his retirement.

It's on a very short list for biggest splash hires Joe C has made in any sport. It may not work out as we'd hoped, but he went big on this one, and it brought a lot of excitement. It's easy to criticize now, but he was considered a pipedream target when Lon announced his retirement.
That's how I remember it.

I look at it as people keep complaining about the coach (Capel, Kruger’s post 2016, and Moser) and give the guy hiring them a pass. “Joe is GOAT” and yet mens coach after coach struggles to have a .500 record in conference, we have an arena only people who saw Mookie play still love, and no NIL to speak of.

I think Joe should shoulder the blame and right the ship. I don’t give him any ribbons for not running Sampson off. Yay him. If he had done that he would have been an actively bad hire. As is, he seems bad for basketball.

Back