New ARENA as part of entertainment District

I think something will get done soon, one way or another.
Joe C does not care about bball as much as football, but he does care about OU's image and he has to know that we are going to be the laughing stock of college SEC basketball with our arena. That will be silenced some if we have a plan in place

Why do people keep saying this falls on Joe C? Joe C allocates funds the way the donors demand them used. If ou fans wanted to be the best at basketball, then Joe C would allocate majority of funds to the basketball program. He has to incentivize fans to buy basketball tickets by giving them better football tickets for crying out loud. Ou fans don’t care about ou basketball, at least not to the extent required to be a top team. We are getting exactly what we are paying for.

Why do people keep saying this falls on Joe C? Joe C allocates funds the way the donors demand them used. If ou fans wanted to be the best at basketball, then Joe C would allocate majority of funds to the basketball program. He has to incentivize fans to buy basketball tickets by giving them better football tickets for crying out loud. Ou fans don’t care about ou basketball, at least not to the extent required to be a top team. We are getting exactly what we are paying for.
Yep this is closer to the truth.

Meh. He could justify more funds going to bball. He’s the director. He decides ultimately. Sure there may be some donors that will only specify the money going to football but he has connections. He could make it work

JoeC is not some poor sop with no agency. He runs the athletic department. He’s the guy. So it literally is his responsibility. If he feels as powerless as that statement then fire his ass and get someone who can do the job.

Exactly. They've spent close to a billion dollars on football facilities in the past decade. The money is there, its on Joe C to get it approved for basketball use.
that is not the way donations work

that is not the way donations work
Agreed, but as mentioned here:
JoeC is not some poor sop with no agency. He runs the athletic department. He’s the guy. So it literally is his responsibility. If he feels as powerless as that statement then fire his ass and get someone who can do the job.
Joe C needs to sell the idea of a basketball arena and new environment for the team. Our donors have money and our donors will always want to donate to football first. If Joe C can't change the latter, then it may never get done with him. It's just like raising money for a business, someone needs to sell the donors on the idea.

We could have easily been looking at a new arena about 20 years ago when it would probably cost half as much and basketball popularity was way higher and you have a coach you could galvanize the program behind.
True. That hurts to think about..

but my position on it is that I understand how tough it is to justify the HUGE expenditures on basketball, when football makes the most money.

We could have easily been looking at a new arena about 20 years ago when it would probably cost half as much and basketball popularity was way higher and you have a coach you could galvanize the program behind.
And if we had, some would now be calling for another new arena.

OU was ... the plan then was a (IIRC) 90 mil renovation of the LNC .... they were having issues raising the money for that then ..

It was for football pretty easily. I think they always just cared more about football and if you ask most OU fans they are the same way now.
The same football stadium that still have multiple phases of renovation that are delayed? That we can't afford?

If you think about how elite our football program is, and what has been renovated (and what HASN'T) over the last 20-25 years, I'd argue that proves my point not yours.

Agreed, but as mentioned here:

Joe C needs to sell the idea of a basketball arena and new environment for the team. Our donors have money and our donors will always want to donate to football first. If Joe C can't change the latter, then it may never get done with him. It's just like raising money for a business, someone needs to sell the donors on the idea.
If our donors had money they were eagerly willing to part ways with, OU's football renovation would be completed. And OU football NIL wouldn't be lagging behind. And we might not have had to rush off to the SEC chasing.....wait for it.....more money.

Joe C. Is smart. It may not be that OU couldn’t get the funds to build a new arena. But since Norman got involved, why would they not take that opportunity and get a better arena without paying for most of it.

My contact with AD office is no longer there, but when he was at the office they were looking to build a new arena in the parking lot of Loyd Noble and engineers were telling them they could not due to water table issues. So they have had plans, but never completed obviously. He said money was not the hold up. It was location decision.

My contact with AD office is no longer there, but when he was at the office they were looking to build a new arena in the parking lot of Loyd Noble and engineers were telling them they could not due to water table issues. So they have had plans, but never completed obviously. He said money was not the hold up. It was location decision.

there have long been LNC renovation plans ... I don't know of any plans that ever existed for a new arena in the LNC parking lot ..

Back