New Arena

The main problem with LNC is the crowd is too far from the court. I can see where an arena on the north side of Norman might increase the attendance of people who live in Moore, OKC and Edmond but I worry that it won't increase student attendance.

At this point, the students aren't coming anyways.

Years ago when my son went to Northwestern the student gov't set up a shuttle bus service for sports and it was very successful. Might help at OU.

that has been tried. it doesn't matter what the university does, students in general don't care.

Was comparing LNC to Smith Center at UNC. More seats actually closer to the floor and no nosebleed sections. I really like the orange seats also.😳

You think the LNC is more intimate and has more seats closer to the floor than the Smith Center?

I think at this point they have to do something even if its off campus which I assume its not that far off campus like 10-15 minutes. Student attendance really cannot be a factor b/c they hardly attend in any numbers and LNC is basically in walking distance.

I think the best place to have put a new arena was North of the Student Union South of Boyd if there was a big enough footprint....something that close to campus corner would have worked out the best for all.

I think at this point they have to do something even if its off campus which I assume its not that far off campus like 10-15 minutes. Student attendance really cannot be a factor b/c they hardly attend in any numbers and LNC is basically in walking distance.

I think the best place to have put a new arena was North of the Student Union South of Boyd if there was a big enough footprint....something that close to campus corner would have worked out the best for all.

the very best place that actually makes sense is the North west corner of Jenkins and brooks ..

but unless someone donates 200+ mil for an arena that is a no go ..

this project is great because OU wouldn't have to pay for it (or not much)

the very best place that actually makes sense is the North west corner of Jenkins and brooks ..

but unless someone donates 200+ mil for an arena that is a no go ..

this project is great because OU wouldn't have to pay for it (or not much)
Agree 100%.

Always have felt an on-campus arena is the best option, with the area of Lindsey/Brooks/Jenkins would be ideal. Or, as a second option- renovate the LNC with some of the ideas that were shown in the survey.

But the reality is neither one of those options will ever happen. The University isn't going to prioritize $200MM for a new arena anywhere in the near future, nor allocate $75-100MM to a renovated LNC. And without a few years of consistent deep tourney runs, like multiple Elite 8, FF type runs, I don't see large donors stepping up to help the funding either.

I wasn't really supportive of UNP 5 years ago, but now with NIL and the SEC, we HAVE to get better facilities as quickly as possible. We now are in a new world where we have to be able to compete to attract coaches, recruits, and fans. If something like the P&L District, The Star, or Texas Live is the way that Norman is willing to fund it, any basketball fan at OU needs to get behind it. Regardless of preference or emotional attachment to the campus.

We can't wait any longer. This is the only option out there, and all of us need to do what we can to support it. Now.

I have been a season ticket holder since the mid 90's when the Sampson era began. I enjoy the games still although my college sports interest is waning with NIL and transfer portal. I can't see where a new arena will do anything for attendance. If interest isn't there, what difference does the building make? Maybe it attracts a few more for a short period of time, but I think that will be short lived. The truth is, these days we don't have much of a basketball fan base and I don't see it getting better anytime soon. I guess I sound like the grumpy old man but I'm just not optimistic about the Sooners fan base in particular and college sports direction in general.

I have been a season ticket holder since the mid 90's when the Sampson era began. I enjoy the games still although my college sports interest is waning with NIL and transfer portal. I can't see where a new arena will do anything for attendance. If interest isn't there, what difference does the building make? Maybe it attracts a few more for a short period of time, but I think that will be short lived. The truth is, these days we don't have much of a basketball fan base and I don't see it getting better anytime soon. I guess I sound like the grumpy old man but I'm just not optimistic about the Sooners fan base in particular and college sports direction in general.

I agree with you in one sense that an upswing in fans SOLELY because of a new arena will be short-lived.

However, a new arena and excitement that will generate with the program, and how OU most likely would market basketball compared to now, will create a buzz that will be more attractive to recruits. And keeping players and coaches. That in itself would, most likely, create better teams, which creates and keeps more fans.

People didn't come to Billyball or the peak years of Kelvin because the LNC- ithe LNC was much worse than compared to now. And they didn't quit coming in the late Capel years or more recently solely because of the arena. It is usually because the entertainment value of the product on the floor.

Bottom line, better teams get more fans. And to get better teams, you need better players.

Ultimately, a new arena and new excitement will make OU Basketball more attractive. For everyone.

I agree with you in one sense that an upswing in fans SOLELY because of a new arena will be short-lived.

However, a new arena and excitement that will generate with the program, and how OU most likely would market basketball compared to now, will create a buzz that will be more attractive to recruits. And keeping players and coaches. That in itself would, most likely, create better teams, which creates and keeps more fans.

People didn't come to Billyball or the peak years of Kelvin because the LNC- ithe LNC was much worse than compared to now. And they didn't quit coming in the late Capel years or more recently solely because of the arena. It is usually because the entertainment value of the product on the floor.

Bottom line, better teams get more fans. And to get better teams, you need better players.

Ultimately, a new arena and new excitement will make OU Basketball more attractive. For everyone.

agree

You think the LNC is more intimate and has more seats closer to the floor than the Smith Center?

As I said, I’ve had season tickets for both and half the seats at the Smith center are upper deck (nosebleed). A third of the seats on the lower level are as far from the floor as the upper level at LNC.

Yeah, I pretty much think this is where we’re at.

I think the importance of the quality of the basketball is, I hate to say, overstated. We've had excellent teams from time to time and it's made little difference in attendance. Even the attendance during Billy's era has been burnished by the passage of time--it wasn't as great as is often stated--some games were packed and frenzied, but plenty weren't--and BillyBall was a bit of lightning in a bottle. OU hadn't been very good in basketball and now we were and with a crazy style of play that was almost unique across the country. Throw in Wayman and you've got a phenomenon that's difficult to duplicate. It's why so many fans were unwilling to embrace Sampson despite his success on the court--he wasn't Billy.

With competition from the Thunder and the huge increase in television coverage of games and any coach at OU faces an uphill battle in increasing attendance. If Buddy and Co. weren't enough to spark a major increase in attendance, I don't know what you do. Maybe another huge star, ala Wayman, Blake or Trey (one who sticks around for at least three years) and several years of major success--top 10 rankings, Elite Eight or better in the tourney--would do it, but that's a big ask of any coach.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the survey but my issue with this is if this is a city project what kind of cut will they want? Right now I pay $1800 for two MBB donor seats and season tickets. I doubt OU wants to give any of that away. So how much extra do you think will be added to what I am paying already? I also have season tickets for four other sports, so I'm not too inclined to dish out more. Especially if any of the other sports are moved there. Will parking be free or will I have to pay an additional $20 to park per game?

I haven't seen the survey but my issue with this is if this is a city project what kind of cut will they want? Right now I pay $1800 for two MBB donor seats and season tickets. I doubt OU wants to give any of that away. So how much extra do you think will be added to what I am paying already? I also have season tickets for four other sports, so I'm not too inclined to dish out more. Especially if any of the other sports are moved there. Will parking be free or will I have to pay an additional $20 to park per game?

the city will not get a cut of the OU ticket donor revenue ..

maybe concessions %

I think the importance of the quality of the basketball is, I hate to say, overstated. We've had excellent teams from time to time and it's made little difference in attendance. Even the attendance during Billy's era has been burnished by the passage of time--it wasn't as great as is often stated--some games were packed and frenzied, but plenty weren't--and BillyBall was a bit of lightning in a ball. OU hadn't been very good in basketball and now we were and with a crazy style of play that was almost unique across the country. Throw in Wayman and you've got a phenomenon that's difficult to duplicate. It's why so many fans were unwilling to embrace Sampson despite his success on the court--he wasn't Billy.

With competition from the Thunder and the huge increase in television coverage of games and any coach at OU faces an uphill battle in increasing attendance. If Buddy and Co. weren't enough to spark a major increase in attendance, I don't know what you do. Maybe another huge star, ala Wayman, Blake or Trey (one who sticks around for at least three years) and several years of major success--top 10 rankings, Elite Eight or better in the tourney--would do it, but that's a big ask of any coach.

Disagree. Thunder have little to do with attendance. It is all about how good OU is and who the opponent is. We had some pretty good crowds in big 12 play with BG and buddy's teams

Disagree. Thunder have little to do with attendance. It is all about how good OU is and who the opponent is. We had some pretty good crowds in big 12 play with BG and buddy's teams

I think the bar should be higher than accepting “some” good crowds against select opponents when we had a team that spent part of the season ranked number one and spent the entire season in the top 10, and had one of the most beloved players in school history. That should be more than enough to have the place full, and loud, just about every night, even if it means people have to stay up later than 9:00 to attend the game.

I think the bar should be higher than accepting “some” good crowds against select opponents when we had a team that spent part of the season ranked number one and spent the entire season in the top 10, and had one of the most beloved players in school history. That should be more than enough to have the place full, and loud, just about every night, even if it means people have to stay up later than 9:00 to attend the game.
We did have good crowds in 2015-16, and even the year before too. We averaged like 11K in 2014-15 and 10K in 2015-16. The FF year includes the lulls in the pre Christmas attendance playing like McNeese State, and IIRC, we had bad weather for one of the Big XII games.

The same thing happened in Trae's year, even though the team wasn't as good. After the USC and WSU games, I don't think we had less than 10K at the LNC, with several sellouts in conference play. Even a couple of SRO games.

The point is, when we have good teams and/or star players, people do show up. That has always been the issue- attracting the base group of fans who are already there to consistently come.

And it is also why these ideas about a 7500 seat arena or remodeling the FH are so preposterous. We can fill a 10K arena when season ticket holders, students, and existing fans show up.

Which is why new/better facilities are needed. ASAP. Need a pop to attract no only fans, but also new recruits/players/coaches to build better teams, which attracts and keeps fans interested.

We did have good crowds in 2015-16, and even the year before too. We averaged like 11K in 2014-15 and 10K in 2015-16. The FF year includes the lulls in the pre Christmas attendance playing like McNeese State, and IIRC, we had bad weather for one of the Big XII games.

The same thing happened in Trae's year, even though the team wasn't as good. After the USC and WSU games, I don't think we had less than 10K at the LNC, with several sellouts in conference play. Even a couple of SRO games.

The point is, when we have good teams and/or star players, people do show up. That has always been the issue- attracting the base group of fans who are already there to consistently come.

And it is also why these ideas about a 7500 seat arena or remodeling the FH are so preposterous. We can fill a 10K arena when season ticket holders, students, and existing fans show up.

Which is why new/better facilities are needed. ASAP. Need a pop to attract no only fans, but also new recruits/players/coaches to build better teams, which attracts and keeps fans interested.

Boom

How many people were at OU softball games before they became dominant? A few parents and a couple of squirrels? LOL

Boom

How many people were at OU softball games before they became dominant? A few parents and a couple of squirrels? LOL

softball tickets are cheap ... and even when the new stadium opens .. there will still be more people at a terrible OU mens basketball non con game ..

Back