New Arena

OUBasketball09

Reaction score
How much money would it take to build a new arena and how long would it take to build? I really want a new one. I was thinking that while it was being built we could just play at the Ford Center if LNC was being torn down.

New Arena= Happy :capelspin= More and more great recruits

Missouri's new arena cost 75 million when it was built, and Virginia's new arena cost 129 million. So I'm guessing it would have to be somewhere between those numbers.

That being said, they are apparently going to be renovating the current facilities (locker rooms etc.) at some point soon so I think that probably puts the nail in the coffin on the hopes of a brand new arena for a while.

That being said, they are apparently going to be renovating the current facilities (locker rooms etc.) at some point soon so I think that probably puts the nail in the coffin on the hopes of a brand new arena for a while.

I will try and keep the hope alive by saying that the arena could be built on the other side of the practice facility, so the new locker rooms ect...could still be relevant.

Or they could just gut the inside, keep the exsisting infrastructure, and just replace the current oval with a more square court fan friendly setup. I to am holding out hope as it is long overdue IMO.

Last edited:
Or they could just gut the insider, keep the exsisting infrastructure, and just replace the current oval with a more square court friendly setup. I to am holding out hope as it is long overdue IMO.

this is what will happen ... when is the big ?

Oregon is getting ready to spend in excess of $200 million to build their new arena. Of course they have some guy named Phil Knight helping to bankroll their program.

Oregon is getting ready to spend in excess of $200 million to build their new arena. Of course they have some guy named Phil Knight helping to bankroll their program.

They need a new one, but Mac Court is a timeless treasure...highly suggest anyone checking it out if they're in the area. Right up there with Hinkle Fieldhouse.

As for OU...Lloyd Noble is fine, an interior infrastructure change would be the best alternative. If New Mexico can do it for The Pit, OU can do it as well.

Besides, the press box at the Gay is next for a face lift.

They need a new one, but Mac Court is a timeless treasure...highly suggest anyone checking it out if they're in the area. Right up there with Hinkle Fieldhouse.

As for OU...Lloyd Noble is fine, an interior infrastructure change would be the best alternative. If New Mexico can do it for The Pit, OU can do it as well.

Besides, the press box at the Gay is next for a face lift.

I happen to not think it is "fine". An interior infrastructure change is good and all, but they really need to also fix the eye sore that is the outside structure.

That is why at the end of the day, I think it would be more cost effective to just go ahead and build another one that will last another 25 plus years...

Its time for Joe C to step up and use the football money stream to make an investment in Capel and in the basketball program. If Virginia can muster up $129M so can we.

I happen to not think it is "fine". An interior infrastructure change is good and all, but they really need to also fix the eye sore that is the outside structure.

That is why at the end of the day, I think it would be more cost effective to just go ahead and build another one that will last another 25 plus years...

You may be right, but the priority is the press box, like it or not. Just depends on what you want, would OU fans rather have an infrastructure alteration now or a new arena in 10-15 years? In my opinion, those are the two likely scenarioa.

As for "football money" that pays for a good majority of all programs right now, it is the cash cow. Hopefully we reach the point where Men's Basketball has a comparable impact proportionally. If you can, get your hands on the copy of OU's financial statements for the past athletic year...good info.

Also, UNM is refurbishing the outside as well as the inside.

I wonder if there's some sort of announcement coming before the season starts about the locker room renovations (that the recruit mentioned Capel said would be similar to the football changes) as well as an announcement on changes to the LNC?

It would seem to me if there's going to be a major announcement, and since they haven't said anything about the facility changes they're mentioning to recruits, that something could be announced to coincide with the beginning of the season?

I really hope this is the case and there are some plans to massively renovate the LNC along with the locker room facilities.

You may be right, but the priority is the press box, like it or not. Just depends on what you want, would OU fans rather have an infrastructure alteration now or a new arena in 10-15 years? In my opinion, those are the two likely scenarioa.

As for "football money" that pays for a good majority of all programs right now, it is the cash cow. Hopefully we reach the point where Men's Basketball has a comparable impact proportionally. If you can, get your hands on the copy of OU's financial statements for the past athletic year...good info.

Also, UNM is refurbishing the outside as well as the inside.

Not denying that football will always come first (as it should).

I really don't think that we will have to wait 10-15 years to get a new arena. jmo

5-7 is more like it.

And I guess to answer your question, I would rather wait the 5-7 years and get a brand spankin new arena that will take care of mens and womens basketball for the next 20 something years, then to slap a few band-aids on the current LNC, and then prolong our new arena for another 10-15 years.

I hope they do some stuff with the lockerrooms, but don't put any money into the arena. We can still use the practice facility and the lockerrooms with the new arena built right next door! :woot

And I guess to answer your question, I would rather wait the 5-7 years and get a brand spankin new arena that will take care of mens and womens basketball for the next 20 something years, then to slap a few band-aids on the current LNC, and then prolong our new arena for another 10-15 years.

I hope they do some stuff with the lockerrooms, but don't put any money into the arena. We can still use the practice facility and the lockerrooms with the new arena built right next door! :woot

I definitely agree with you on the new arena, but the problem is where is the money going to come from? At the very least to build it to equal the Mizzou arena it would take at least 75 million. I just can't see any group of OU donors willing to step up to do that any time soon in this economy for basketball. Hope I'm wrong.

I would rather wait the 5-7 years and get a brand spankin new arena that will take care of mens and womens basketball for the next 20 something years

I've never been on the new areana bandwagon, particularly, but if we do get a new one at some point, I certainly hope it's designed to serve us well for more than 20-something years.

I've never been on the new areana bandwagon, particularly, but if we do get a new one at some point, I certainly hope it's designed to serve us well for more than 20-something years.

Bingo.

Building an arena to service any collegiate team for just 20 something years is not only economically inefficient, it's just plain stupid. Any athletic director who budgets like that should be immediately fired. The LNC is what, 34 years old? Don't be surprised if OU is going to try to get another 10 years out of it with minor alterations (locker rooms, etc.) before they build another.

Also, the Mizzou arena was almost predominantly financed by the Lawrie family, who is the direct lineage to the Walton family (Wal-Mart). It was also a ploy to get their son or nephew Spencer (Mr. Missouri Basketball 2003) to come to Columbia. Turns out, he was a huge bust on at the Big XII level and flamed out. Another funny fact is the arena was initially named for the Lawrie's daughter, who was at the time a student at USC. Well she got busted cheating on all her exams, so the university dropped the Lawrie's name and that's why it's called the Mizzou Sports Arena.

Guys,

The 20 something years was not anything set in stone. Sorry. Change it to 40 years. Happy now? :eek:

That's not the point. The point is that I would rather wait the 5-7 years and get the new thing, then have to wait the 10 plus. LNC is fine now. Let's not pump a bunch of money into it, and prolong getting a new arena.

The thing that OU has going for it that most colleges don't is that we have big donors for both mens and womens' basketball. There are a different group of folks that would support both programs. That's double the possiblities to get something done. You saw that with the practice facility upgrade.

I think something gets done in 5-7 years....hopefully the economy will comply.

Back