OU and KSU are the only two Big 12 teams without 2012 commits

Sam

Reaction score
With less that two months till the early signing day occurs, who will clear off their goose egg first?

Tech recently grabbed a juco guard that is supposedly a good scorer.

OSU has 4 commits, headlined by Smart and Forte.

Kansas just added Perry Ellis to go along with Zach Peters.

Iowa St has three commits, two of them top 100 types (Georges Niang and recently Sherron Dorsey-Walker).

Baylor now has two big men out of Dallas in top 10 kid Isaiah Austin and recently Chad Ryhoek and Houston top 100 PG L.J. Rose.

Missouri has a juco big man (Quantel Denson, not sure on his status after an arrest), then went east for a prep big man from North Carolina (Aaron Scales) and to Florida for a prep guard (Shawn Smith).

Texas has one of the top PGs in the nation in Louisiana's Javan Felix to go along with Houston big man Cameron Ridley, a top 25 in the nation type.

Even soon to be departed A&M has locked up a pair of Texas based top 100 guards, J-Mychal Reese and Alex Caruso.

As Summer comes to a close, that leaves just OU and KSU from having made a splash on the recruiting trail.

KSU is chasing local product Willie Cauley but are fighting SEC schools Alabama, Kentucky and Florida to keep him home.

For OU it appears Buddy Hield is at the top of the big board, but Marquette, Colorado and Nebraska are also firmly in the hunt. Hield also seems to be an option for recruiting power houses Kansas and Memphis as well.

So which school will capture a commit first and generate some momentum? Will it be their top targets in Cauley and Hield or will it come out of left field?

Why hasn't OU received a commitment yet? Is it because Kruger is missing out on the guys they hoped to land?

Eh, the 2012 class means very little to me. We have what 2 spots open? Maybe 3? Doubtful we recruit anybody that will unseat the top 7 or so players we already have coming back in 2012. I think LK tried to get a stud (Smart), and now that he is going elsewhere, I'm not sure LK is in a big hurry. Waverly is still out there. Hield is probably the priority. I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

Why hasn't OU received a commitment yet? Is it because Kruger is missing out on the guys they hoped to land?
Three of the players they seemed to target and recruited heavily chose other schools (Grant, Smart & Forte). Right now outside Hield the picture is a little murky.

Eh, the 2012 class means very little to me. We have what 2 spots open? Maybe 3? Doubtful we recruit anybody that will unseat the top 7 or so players we already have coming back in 2012. I think LK tried to get a stud (Smart), and now that he is going elsewhere, I'm not sure LK is in a big hurry. Waverly is still out there. Hield is probably the priority. I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

OU is expected to sign three players. There are currently 11 on scholarship this year and C.J. Washington graduating, so baring NCAA sanctions OU will have 3 open ships to bring in kids. I think its important to start getting diversity in the scholarship situation with so many upperclassmen and no current scholarship freshmen.

Waverly Austin is down to four and OU is not among them Miami, South Florida, Kansas and Florida.

Tech is doing well in recruiting. They got Cameron Forte (#6 scorer in all of high school basketball) for this year, along with some other pretty decent players.

For 2012 they got the juco guard who is a very good scorer, was KC player of the year, and his coach compares him to Tyronn Lue. "I've had some great players at Raytown, but I haven't had a playmaker-type kid like this since Tyronn Lue."

They also got Dejan Kravic out of Canada. He is a 6'11'' 230 power forward who will probably start from day one at Tech. He averaged 15.6 points, 9.6 rebounds and 2.3 blocks as a sophomore at York, which has an enrollment of 48,000 students. He has to sit out this year as a transfer.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTdpnpndK0E[/ame]

They are likely to be good after this season. Quick turnaround for Billy G.

Kruger will briing stability to the program,but his forte has never been recruiting top 50 players..Look at the players he put in the NBA(I can think of one)We as fans just need to set back & get ready for mediocrity!!OU will get to the NCAA,but will never go deep into the tourney again..Go Sooners!!!!!!

Kruger will briing stability to the program,but his forte has never been recruiting top 50 players..Look at the players he put in the NBA(I can think of one)We as fans just need to set back & get ready for mediocrity!!OU will get to the NCAA,but will never go deep into the tourney again..Go Sooners!!!!!!

No thanks!!!!!!

I expect OU to make the ncaa tourney every year and Kruger should be able to recruit players that make OU one of the top four teams in the big 12.

Who are the guys that CTSooner and others on the other board were so sure we were going to get, that had Jeff Webster as their AAU coach, etc. Was that Perry Ellis? Wow, they made it sound like Kruger was about to clean up.

our best players under kruger will be jucos and transfers... that's been the mo for lon... no reason for it to change here...

Sure we wanted to land a top flight high school recruit but I think everybody including Lon knew that was unlikely to happen after the last 2 years performance and a new coach.

The best way to get the recruiting mojo back is to win and advance in the dance. I think Kruger knows we should have an elite team in 2012. The last thing we should be doing right now is chasing a marginal recruit to fill spots. We should be waiting to see exactly what weakness we need to fill for 2012 and be recruiting top jucos to fill those gaps to make a run at the elite 8 that year.

our best players under kruger will be jucos and transfers... that's been the mo for lon... no reason for it to change here...

OU is probably the easiest place to recruit to out of all of Lon's stop, if you take into account the level of the programs when Lon was there. Illinois MIGHT be the lone exception to that.

We'll do just fine in recruiting. Probably get 2-3 top 100 kids next year. Still might get one or two this year.

Sure we wanted to land a top flight high school recruit but I think everybody including Lon knew that was unlikely to happen after the last 2 years performance and a new coach.

The best way to get the recruiting mojo back is to win and advance in the dance.
I think Kruger knows we should have an elite team in 2012. The last thing we should be doing right now is chasing a marginal recruit to fill spots. We should be waiting to see exactly what weakness we need to fill for 2012 and be recruiting top jucos to fill those gaps to make a run at the elite 8 that year.

This.

Back