Staff member
Reaction score
picture2ap.png

picture3bw.png

OU-Northern Colorado Postgame Quotes >>> SoonerSports.com

Source

Oklahoma Head Coach Jeff Capel
Opening comment:
“I’m frustrated with a lot of stuff tonight. It’s everything. We didn’t deserve to win. I feel bad for this Northern Colorado team because they outplayed us, they deserved the win. They had their guys ready to play.”

On Cade Davis and Tony Crocker:
“Cade (Davis) played well. Cade really saved us in the first half and down the stretch. I really feel like that is probably the reason that we won. That stretch right there when they made a push, I thought Cade was really good and I thought Crock (Tony Crocker) did some really good stuff. That shot (Crocker) took late was not a smart decision, but he battled against bigger guys and still got a double-double.”

On if pulling out the win after his team might not have earlier in the year means it has progressed:
“No. This was a step-backwards. Nothing associated with this game today was progress.”

On if finals week factored into today’s game:
“That’s an excuse for how we played. Those guys from Northern Colorado had finals and were travelling and they still played their butts off. No excuses. That is one of the things that I tried to talk to our guys about. Obviously I haven’t done a good job in teaching them how to become men. There are no excuses in life, let alone sports. We live in a result-driven world, where you have to get results. Today, we had excuses. In the first half, I heard every excuse coming back to the bench coming from several of our guys. That’s how I knew it was going to be a long night.”

On his team’s turnovers:
“It was almost like our guards didn’t want the ball. Especially in that stretch when they made that run. It was surprising to me. They are a really good defensive team, they force a lot of turnovers, they switch their defenses up, they are really good in man-to-man. (Yahosh) Bonner is very, very good on the ball. They might not be big in size, but Bonner is very strong. They can really pressure. (Will) Figures is very small but very quick. The main thing is that they have a lot of heart and a lot of effort. They are very determined as a team and have a lot of pride. We have been that way at times this year, unfortunately we haven’t been that way every game. To become a good team we have to be consistent in doing that.”

On the quick turnaround for Monday’s game against UTEP in the All-College Classic:
“It’s what it is. We play a very good team. If our effort is not better, our focus, our attention to detail, our execution, our urgency, it won’t even be close. Northern Colorado is a very good team, but I’ve had a little bit of time to watch UTEP on tape and they are probably the most talented team we have played so far this year -- definitely the most athletic, the biggest. And they are hungry because they are coming off two losses.”

Senior Guard Tony Crocker
On the offensive performance in the first half:
“We weren’t executing well and running our offense. They did a good job on defense. Cade (Davis) came through towards the end and hit a lot of big 3’s for us.”

On the reason for his rebounding success this season:
“We lost Taylor (Griffin) and Blake (Griffin). It’s more available now and I’m closer to the goal. It’s easier to go grab them. It’s just trying to see where the ball is going to bounce and boxing your man out -- really, just trying to keep them from getting the ball and making it easier for me to get it. It’s seeing where the ball hits the rim and trying to go get it.”

On where the team is heading into Big 12 play:
“I think we are a pretty good team, we just have a lot of work to do. This is my last year and we have a lot of young guys. Cade and I are the upperclassmen that have played, so we have to do a better job of getting everybody on the right page and make sure everyone focuses and concentrates. Once we start conference, those games are way more intense and the teams are better so we have to pick it up.”

On forward Derrick Caracter of UTEP (OU’s Monday opponent):
“I’ve played with him before in a tournament in New York. He was on my team. I know he is a big guy that has a soft touch. He can shoot the ball and he’s pretty strong down there. He’s a good player.”

Junior Guard Cade Davis
On his shooting performance in the first half:
“We’re an unselfish ball club. I hit a few shots early. Tiny (Gallon) was finding me because he was getting doubled. I was just trying to make plays for the team.”

On letting eight-point cushion disappear at the end of the game:
“We have to make free throws. Somebody needs to step up and knock those down. We slacked off. Coach (Capel) was telling us to switch on screens, guard wise, the next possession on defense, and we had a mental break and didn’t do that. Our minds weren’t there.”

On the All-College Classic Monday:
“It’s nice and the atmosphere is great. A lot of people get to come and watch, maybe someone that is not an OU fan. When the coaches talk about this weekend having games so close back-to-back, it’s like the NCAA tournament. It is something to prepare your minds for to get a feel for how that will be.”

Northern Colorado Head Coach Tad Boyle
Opening comment:
“It was a heck of a game. Our guys never gave up, I know that. We (played) a good basketball team. Oklahoma’s terrific, very talented. They have what, three McDonald’s All Americans? Our whole deal coming into this game was we wanted them to have to beat us on the outside and make jump shots over a hand. We were giving up size at every position except for one. They made enough shots to beat us. Our hats go off to them. I told our team before we took the floor that when we leave this arena, let’s leave all of our effort on the floor and be able to look each other in the eye and feel good about our effort and the way we played. I feel that way. I can’t ask any more of my team, as a coach. Sometimes you get beat. I think Oklahoma won this game and I don’t think Northern Colorado lost it. We showed a lot of heart.”

On Northern Colorado’s defense:
“We have guys that can really guard the ball. Yahosh Bonner is as good as anybody I’ve seen in college basketball. I’m not saying he’s the best, but he’s in the top five. He can really pressure the ball. Will Figures did a great job tonight on (Tommy Mason-Griffin). Looking back, I wish we would’ve pressured more in the full court. I was a little afraid of their athleticism and giving them wide open 3’s. We went more with a half court defense tonight, but the pressure was good. It’s something we hang our hat on as a defense. We did good tonight. “

On handling pressure on the road:
“One thing we have to do better as a basketball team is we have to handle pressure better when we’re on the road. The crowd got into it. There was one good possession where we made them pay in their zone, but we kind of let that get away from us. They did a good job with their pressure at the end of the half; I thought that was a key part of the game. There are some things we can do better, certainly.”

OU-Northern Colorado Postgame Notes >>> SoonerSports.com

Source

• Oklahoma (8-3) won its sixth straight contest Saturday, 80-79, over Northern Colorado (9-3).

• Oklahoma had runs of 12-2 (first half) and 11-2 (second half) in a game that featured three ties and eight lead changes. The Sooners trailed 38-27 in the first half before cutting the lead to two (38-36) on three-straight 3-point makes from Cade Davis in a span of 0:59 seconds. Northern Colorado led 40-39 at halftime.

• OU’s 14 3-point makes marked a season high. It was the fourth game this season the Sooners have hit at least 10 3-pointers.

• OU scored 18 second-chance points on eight offensive rebounds.

• The Sooners were 10-of-11 (.909) from the free throw line in the first half, but missed six of their eight second-half attempts from the stripe (.250), including three front ends of one-and-ones in the final 41 seconds. Oklahoma entered the contest ranked first in the Big 12 and fourth nationally with its .794 free throw percentage. On the year, OU has made more free throws (193) than its opponents have attempted (168).

• Cade Davis scored a career-high 25 points (20 in the first half) on 8-of-13 shooting (6-of-10 from 3-point distance) in a game-high 40 minutes. Davis’ six makes from long range in the first half were one shy of the Big 12 record of seven in a half (Tony Crocker, Dec. 9, versus Centenary).

• Davis’ 20 points in the first half marked the second straight home contest a Sooner scored at least 20 in the opening 20 minutes (Tony Crocker poured in 29 against Centenary).

• Davis set career highs in points, field goals (eight), field goal attempts (13), 3-point makes (six) and 3-point attempts (10). His one blocked shot tied a personal best.

• Tony Crocker, who has started 77 consecutive games, scored 24 points and added 10 rebounds for his fourth career double-double. All four double-doubles for the senior guard have come over the last five games.

• Crocker added two assists, two blocks and two steals in 39 minutes.

• Crocker is averaging 18.6 points and 9.5 rebounds over the past six outings. He is 18-of-36 (.500) from behind the 3-point arc during the stretch.

• Crocker surpassed Willie Rogers for 26th on OU’s career scoring list with 1,167 points. Crocker needs just seven points to surpass Brent Price for 25th.

• OU has won its last three contests when trailing at the half (40-39 today, 42-36 at Utah and 39-37 against Nicholls State in the Sooners’ final game of the Great Alaska Shootout).

• The Sooners have won 76 of their last 78 home non-conference games, including each of the last 18.

• Northern Colorado fell to 9-3 overall and 4-2 on the road.

• OU plays UTEP in the All-College Classic Monday in Oklahoma City (tip is at 5:30 p.m. CT).

Back