OU vs Butler 8pm CST on ESPN2

All season thus far, when the offense has sputtered, Tanner Groves is completely uninvolved. He didn't score after the first half. I only remember him taking one shot after halftime. Especially when facing a zone, you have to get the ball into the key, and we couldn't do that and completely fell apart.

Blowing a double digit lead always stings a little more. We had it.

I kept waiting for him to flash to the middle of the zone but it never happened. College teams routinely look braid dead against a zone, but that was as bad as I’ve ever seen. Since our starting guards can’t create, we need to figure out how to run the offense through one of the bigs in the high post when teams zone us.

Well, thats disappointing. I watched the first half and deduced we would win by 15-20. I just looked at the score. What in the... They were not very good and we looked like we wanted to play defense at least, in the first. On offense it looked like we didn't have a scorer.

The good i guess is that we can see how good Porter can coach em up. Let's see if we can fix this zone offense. Goldwire is unimpressing me. He may need for someone to step up and take his spot. Brother Groves, come on man. Hit a shot. I had not got to see much but from the stats in earlier game I thought Hill had turned the corner. Didn't look like it tonight. Hopefully better days ahead.

The most concerning thing to me was how they attacked the zone. Guys are going to miss shots and this isn't the best offensive team, anyway.

I'm not sure what they were doing against that 1-2-2 zone. They just stood around and allowed Butler to match up instead of moving to the open areas. It was weird for sure.

We really needed Gibson to come through and he didn't. When this team loses, it's going to be the offense that lets them down.

We can't run our offense through Gibson. Goldwire has to be the man. Cortes is at least a year away. He's not ready. The problem is that many times Gibson is our only offensive threat. If I was game-planning against us I would let Harkless, Goldwire, Noland, Cortes, Hill and Tanner Groves shoot as many threes as they want (obviously I would still have defenders close out on them but I would not want them driving to the basket). I would make Gibson and Jacob Groves put it on the floor. We are way too easy to defend if Tanner Groves isn't going to be the offensive player we thought he was going to be.

The most concerning thing to me was how they attacked the zone. Guys are going to miss shots and this isn't the best offensive team, anyway.

I'm not sure what they were doing against that 1-2-2 zone. They just stood around and allowed Butler to match up instead of moving to the open areas. It was weird for sure.

We really needed Gibson to come through and he didn't. When this team loses, it's going to be the offense that lets them down.

Was pretty obvious we haven’t practiced against a 3-2 zone much yet. Just didn’t even now what to do or where to go. Screens were in strange spots, no high post entry, no one working short corners when zone was extended.

And Al Bundy scored 4 touchdowns in a game lol

He is our leading scorer and rebounder and is shooting a high percentage overall and from three. His second half last night was bad and illustrates his athletic limitations. But I don’t know how anyone who has watched us play nine games can come to the conclusion that he is disappointing and unimpressive. I don’t know of anyone who realistically expected much more from him than what he has done. He needed to find a way to impact the game in the second half last night, and that specific performance was disappointing. But even last night, I think the lion’s share of the blame should go to our guards, who wilted against the zone and settled for jumper after jumper. I’m fine with Mo doing that because that is his role, but the other guards need to find a way to attack the zone. Goldwire has played 125 college basketball games at the point, and looked like he had never seen a zone.

Only seen OU few times but this is first time I notice they are really small or Butler really big ...Anyway get better is the only option, they will

Last edited:
He is our leading scorer and rebounder and is shooting a high percentage overall and from three. His second half last night was bad and illustrates his athletic limitations. But I don’t know how anyone who has watched us play nine games can come to the conclusion that he is disappointing and unimpressive. I don’t know of anyone who realistically expected much more from him than what he has done. He needed to find a way to impact the game in the second half last night, and that specific performance was disappointing. But even last night, I think the lion’s share of the blame should go to our guards, who wilted against the zone and settled for jumper after jumper. I’m fine with Mo doing that because that is his role, but the other guards need to find a way to attack the zone. Goldwire has played 125 college basketball games at the point, and looked like he had never seen a zone.

Oh I'm not absolving the guards of blame, there's plenty of blame to go around for last night's debacle.

I'm just saying that I don't think T. Groves is as good as advertised and is going to have trouble against Big12 teams who have athletic big men. He isn't quick enough to guard away from the basket and will be in foul trouble a lot. I don't disagree that he's our best inside player. I hope I'm wrong and last night was an outlier and the Florida game was more of what should be expected from this team.

Oh I'm not absolving the guards of blame, there's plenty of blame to go around for last night's debacle.

I'm just saying that I don't think T. Groves is as good as advertised and is going to have trouble against Big12 teams who have athletic big men. He isn't quick enough to guard away from the basket and will be in foul trouble a lot. I don't disagree that he's our best inside player. I hope I'm wrong and last night was an outlier and the Florida game was more of what should be expected from this team.

I definitely agree that his defense will be a struggle. We will need the team defense to cover for him in a lot of ways. I get very nervous when he and his brother are on the floor together. Athletic teams will feast on that. Offensively, I wish he would become a better passer. Fran alluded to that last night. He seems to have a couple careless turnovers per game. If he could get better at passing out of double teams or from the high post, he would get his teammates some easy baskets, which we desperately need.

Was pretty obvious we haven’t practiced against a 3-2 zone much yet. Just didn’t even now what to do or where to go. Screens were in strange spots, no high post entry, no one working short corners when zone was extended.

Crazy thing is that Mosner said in his post-game that wasn't the case - https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/cricket/porter-moser-12-7-butler-postgame/vi-AARAAzb

"...we've worked so much on getting the ball in the middle of the zone...we literally worked on it for 3-4 days...every day we did a zone segment in practice...even though they've (Butler) only played 8 possessions (of zone) all year, we felt if we were really getting our man going, they were going to go to that zone..."

He commented on it further about what Butler did and what he expected his team to do.

We knew from Day One that we were not going to be a consistently good offensive team. However, I do like how Coach Moser is responding to these losses, and appreciated his most recent candor in the link below.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ou-vs-butler-mens-basketball-044334857.html

Absolutely. It’s year 1 and he had to cobble a team together quickly. I like the direction we’re headed. I look forward to Coach Moser’s response to the zone because every opponent will go to it if/when needed. Probably won’t have the full answer this year but hoping we don’t see anything as bad as last night again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BINGO....

We had an offense we ran against a 3/2 in HIGH SCHOOL...

oh i'm not absolving the guards of blame, there's plenty of blame to go around for last night's debacle.

I'm just saying that i don't think t. Groves is as good as advertised and is going to have trouble against big12 teams who have athletic big men. He isn't quick enough to guard away from the basket and will be in foul trouble a lot. I don't disagree that he's our best inside player. I hope i'm wrong and last night was an outlier and the florida game was more of what should be expected from this team.

yup

Back