OU vs Oklahoma City U 7pm CST on ESPN+

First look thoughts:

Knowns: Bigger, taller, more athletic, more offensively talented, handle the ball better and will have fewer turnovers (compared to last year)

Unknows: Defense. Goldwire, Harkless and Ethan would defend you. To be seen with the new kids.

Take on the new kids: Sherfield and Joe bam are upgrades. Uzan, Oweh and Benny will upgraded depth on the wing. Godwin is an absolute upgrade overall from Ethan, Rick and Mawein (and thought Ethan was a good player). I was shocked at how good Godwin was. Sample size too small to assess YaYa. I will be interested to see Northweather. If he is better than Godwin, he is pretty good and will help.

Returners: Tanner, Jacob and Noland looked to be in better shape and looked more mature and confident, as you would expect. I like Hill but he had an off night. I think he will be fine.

My projected depth chart: Point -- Sherfield, Uzan and cortee
Wing -- Joe bam, Noland, then the 3 freshman
Post -- Tanner, Jacob, Godwin, Keita

Overall: Better record than last year and an NCAA tournament team.

I didn't get to watch, but shooting isn't something I'm worried about this year. We have guys that can shoot it well enough.

I think you will see Uzan and Sherfield play at the same time. I like Grant off the ball and was impressed with Uzan. Seemed very in control. Shooting will come, I believe, but if it does not, OU still has guys who can get their own shot. Big difference than last year. I am excited about how this team develops.

I liked Godwin too, he surprised me in a good way.

Biggest surprise to me was Uzan

Sam Godwin was the biggest surprise to me. Sam is a former Ada boy. He grew up and played basketball with our grandson. I wanted him to play well, but he was even better than I expected. Eight points, five rebounds and a block in 13 minutes is a very good game, especially when you add solid defense. Porter agreed with me, he bragged on Sam in his postgame interview.

I still think Northweather will be Tanner’s backup at the five, but Godwin is good enough on defense to get minutes at the five or the four. He’s an intelligent kid who is not likely to make the same mistakes we saw at his position last year. Porter said in another interview that Sam Godwin will help us this season. I couldn’t agree more!

Sam Godwin was the biggest surprise to me. Sam is a former Ada boy. He grew up and played basketball with our grandson. I wanted him to play well, but he was even better than I expected. Eight points, five rebounds and a block in 13 minutes is a very good game, especially when you add solid defense. Porter agreed with me, he bragged on Sam in his postgame interview.

I still think Northweather will be Tanner’s backup at the five, but Godwin is good enough on defense to get minutes at the five or the four. He’s an intelligent kid who is not likely to make the same mistakes we saw at his position last year. Porter said in another interview that Sam Godwin will help us this season. I couldn’t agree more!

Can Godwin shoot from outside? If so, he can absolutely play the 4. Reminds me a little of the Oklahoma kid that killed us against Utah State last year.

I think Sam will be the backup. College jr vs College freshmen.

Unless Luke is further along than most.

Team looks some much stronger. Groves Thick!

Completely agree on Godwin being a pleasant surprise. I think he's a quality backup. I also think we have more athletic talent across the board and unless the B12 is insanely competitive this year we should have a better record. Only time will tell!

I think Sam will be the backup. College jr vs College freshmen.

Unless Luke is further along than most.

Team looks some much stronger. Groves Thick!

I hope you’re right about Sam as the backup. Nothing would please me more! He’s a fine young man from a great family!

I hope I’m right about this team. I said sometime ago that this year’s team is more athletic and deeper at every position except the five. If Sam and Luke prove to be better than expected, this could be a very good season!

It was great to see all the new guys in action for the first time. Each had at least a moment or two to shine and several were very impressive. I enjoyed watching Godwin and am eager to see how he does as the level of competition improves (that applies to all the new guys, of course, but especially him). Yaya is an impressive specimen (Toby Rowland half-joked during the radio broadcast that if was the coach, that's who he'd have getting off the bus first for road games, for the intimidation factor), so I hope he responds well to coaching and improves quickly as a player.

Still too many turnovers for my taste (last season left some scars, I guess), but it was an exhibition, of course, and the first game action. And as we too often did last season, we at times kept settling for the three, even when it wasn't dropping. Would like to see improvement in those two areas sooner than later.

But overall, I was very happy with what we saw and I wish we could watch this weekend's scrimmage.

So how does this work with him being a college coach and an aau coach? Is there no conflict of interest or anything like that since OC is NAIA?

There’s no conflict because it’s no NCAA. Probably a good deal too because OU is giving his program money.

But Team Griffin hasn’t benefited OU since it’s existence.

Back