Recruiting

Yes it would. I'll say it again because I've been so critical of her recruiting the last several years:

Sherri is do a tremendous job recruiting the last two years and next year.

I wouldnt say "tremendous" but it's so much better than it has been that I'm impressed. I wonder what has brought this about?

After a bad period, like Stoops had, sometimes coaches (and just working people in general) get a renewed drive to reach the highest points professionally once more before retirement, especially if they've had a period of being down professionally.

I think Sherri may be in the midst of that again. Sort of like a second half burst that puts a team back in a game.

Perhaps, as some people have alluded, Joe C. may have talked to her in a performance review sometime over the last two seasons and told her she better pick it up.

Whatever the case may be, she has turned it up a notch, that's for sure.

Agreed. I think this may be her last big push before retirement, and since she's getting the type of athletes we had 8 years ago, I could see another final four, at least an elite eight in the horizon. I will also say that SC does a lot more when she's able to actually get the talent in than the other Big 12 coaches. Think about how many excellent classes Baylor has had come in and how many actual final fours they've been to, same with Texas. If Oklahoma brought in the same caliber of players year in and year out like them, we definitely would have been to another final four, in my opinion anyway

At 53, I don't think Sherri wants to be coaching at 60. I wonder if she didn't almost quit as a result of Jan's illness, and I suspect that she and Jan will make one last push. I wonder if Jan has been unable to help as much as normal during her illness?

I don't know how much we have "failed." We have been in the final discussions of about as many prospects as we were last year many times. The difference is that we got two highly-rated prospects this year. Well, we had two with Dungee and Mulkey. We barely missed out on several others who ended up being very good when we were in the final four or so. Luck?

As someone noted, Baylor only wins if they really have a lot of stars---or do they? Which Baylor team was best: the 2005 or 2012. The 2005 wasn't highly recruited. With great recruits, Baylor has been relatively unsuccessful other than winning the Big Twelve.

Sherri has been pretty good with less talent. Even with Courtney, we desperately needed an outside game. All of our talent wanted to play post or power forward.

i agree completely. SC does more with less 'talent' than Mulkey or any other Big 12 coach. I think if you bring all of those mcdonald's all american's UT got over the years to Oklahoma, you'd see them get further than UT has gotten. And I will say this, if Baylor doesn't become a final four team this year or next year with who they have down low, plus the outstanding newcomers, Mulkey will be a overrated coach in my book. Time will only tell. I'm seriously counting down for the season to start!

I'm just hoping, despite the learning curve that we all know will occur, that our talent really comes through this year at a consistent, high level.

We all know that's a big part of what is needed. We can't have players going dead on the court for games the way we have over the last several seasons.

I don't look for a great record. I see a lot of talented, but green players making good plays and bad plays as they learn. I'm not sure the post is covered well, offensively or defensively. I strongly suspect that we will be improved in the 2-5 positions, as well as having a useful bench.

OU in the top 12 for 2020 Texas point guard Sarah Andrews...

Amihere has an official visit set for Kentucky this weekend, I believe she has one set for ND next month as well.... hopefully OU can get one of her official visits... Amihere or Scott would really fit a need for the team, I would like OU to land Brown, but not sure Sherri would allow her to play that stretch four role she’s hoping for vs Center at OU.

I'd like to think we'd see an official visitor or two for UCLA weekend?
If not then Baylor at the end of the month.
October is a complete washout if she want to use a football weekend
until the 27th with KSU.
Probably the last weekend before signing day.

Closest school to home by far. Hopefully that is a benefit or distance may not be a factor based on her other choices.

I kind of feel like OSU is the early favorite because she wants to play power forward at the next level... not sure Sherri would let her face up instead of consistently posting up if she picks OU because we need a center, even though the team could use a Forward as well. But Brown would really help turn the program around, It would be the 1st time OU has signed back to back McDonald’s All Americans since 05-06 and She could possible be the best post player OU has signed since Courtney...

If we can add Brown and Liz to our team I think we could be super competitive with Baylor and Texas again.

I kind of feel like OSU is the early favorite because she wants to play power forward at the next level... not sure Sherri would let her face up instead of consistently posting up if she picks OU because we need a center, even though the team could use a Forward as well. But Brown would really help turn the program around, It would be the 1st time OU has signed back to back McDonald’s All Americans since 05-06 and She could possible be the best post player OU has signed since Courtney...

If we can add Brown and Liz to our team I think we could be super competitive with Baylor and Texas again.

Per the OSU roster the Beavers have three 6'4" and one 6'6" girls returning for next year from a roster that won 26 games and made the Elite Eight so early playing time might be more difficult to earn in Corvallis than in Norman.

2021 Moore is there as well, she looks to be about the same height as Dee...

Very positive sign of the 2020/2021 kids on campus unofficially.
Especially right after the Blake Griffin Center opened.
You can bet the recruits got a nice long tour of that facility as well.

Chante Embry sounds a lot like Gabby Williams who played at Uconn, I think she will be a high impact player at the next level and if not for her injury would have had a great summer and be one of the top players in her class, Moore is also coming off a strong summer and I expect her to be ranked when the recruiting services rank the 2021 kids...

I wouldn’t mind adding Katelyn Levings from the 2020 class to the mix of Oklahoma kids who I would like to see Sherri sign. She hasn’t been the player I thought she would be, but she has a unique skill set, and looks like a 6’3 Manning....

Back