Ryan Randolph walking on at OU?

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
He's meeting with Capel and Stoops to discuss walking on to the progams at OU. I would love to have the leading scorer at McGuiness the past two years at OU.

Re: Ryan Randolph

Sounds like the first Stoops vs. Capel battle. :)

Sounds like the first Stoops vs. Capel battle. :)

Sounds more like a kid who wants to be a Sooner from a family that can well afford to pay his way in college. ;) Cardiovascular surgeons make a buck or two and Ryan's father is known as one of the best in the country.

Judging by everything I've read about this kid, he has some talent as a QB and as a sharpshooter in basketball. I have my doubts if he's good enough to find his way on the football field. But the basketball team can always use a 6' 3" guard who can shoot from the perimeter. He would be a nice get as a walk on for either program.

Anyone know just who offered him in either football or basketball? I've seen some football film of him and he's pretty impressive. Haven't really seen much of him on the basketball court though.

I think he's a better QB prospect than basketball.

OU has 6'5 Landry Jones, 6'5 Drew Allen, and 6'6 Blake Bell, all bigtime prospects at QB. He may be a better QB prospect, but he'll see more mop up time on the Bball court. I like it when a guy comes on and redshirts to a program and the coaches Identify him as a guy who can contribute at other schools and recommends those guys to play elsewhere. Eddie Sutton did it with a kid from Pawnee named Pat Moore.

OU has 6'5 Landry Jones, 6'5 Drew Allen, and 6'6 Blake Bell, all bigtime prospects at QB. He may be a better QB prospect, but he'll see more mop up time on the Bball court. I like it when a guy comes on and redshirts to a program and the coaches Identify him as a guy who can contribute at other schools and recommends those guys to play elsewhere. Eddie Sutton did it with a kid from Pawnee named Pat Moore.

It's possible, but I know the football coaches were considering giving him a scholarship before his senior season last summer. He could always play both.

It's possible, but I know the football coaches were considering giving him a scholarship before his senior season last summer. He could always play both.

They probably would have if Bradford declared.

Randolph would never see the football field at OU.

Ryan is a good player but he is not a big12 basketball player. He is not a sharpshooter, he just shoots the ball a lot. He would score against good teams when they got down. We played them twice this year and he was a non factor in both until the game was out of hand. He is a good athlete, but all we did was back up and make him go left.

Don't think he'd see the field/court either way he goes, but he is a tad bit more talented than your average walk-on. I don't think you're going to see any David Godbold's under Capel. He recruits too well for that too happen, but it's nice to have that practice depth.

And like someone said above, the cupboard isn't going to be empty at quarterback. I haven't been able to find any basketball video of him, but here's his football highlight tape.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bWa_010iWc[/ame]

Not to be overlooked in the pros and cons of signing this kid, he's a great student (somewhere around 4.0 I believe) and he wants to be a Sooner. Walk ons who can boost the team GPA and contribute in practice as well as have a chance to compete for minutes on the court are an asset to any program.

Ryan is a good player but he is not a big12 basketball player. He is not a sharpshooter, he just shoots the ball a lot. He would score against good teams when they got down. We played them twice this year and he was a non factor in both until the game was out of hand. He is a good athlete, but all we did was back up and make him go left.

Wasn't he the leading scorer the last two years and didn't they make it to the finals?

He was but when you shoot in the range of 25 to 30 shots, you will be the leading scorer. In one of our games this year he shot the ball 27 times to score his 22 points. They lost by 18 I think and he got 10 of those in the last few minutes.

Don't get me wrong, Ryan is a good kid, good athlete. He just isn't a sharpshooter or a big 12 type guard. He doesn't dribble that well, he just dribbles well enough to shoot a pull up against smaller guards. He loved shooting from the corners also. I thought he was much better last year but it also helps when you have Daniel to play with.

Stoops should have offered him in my opinion. He looks pretty good to me. Very mobile, very heady. He would thrive at OU in my opinion. He's 6-4 so, to me, he sees the field very well. Would love to see a scrambling QB at OU, it's been a while. I guess since he was not from Texas, Stoops didn't offer.

Stoops should have offered him in my opinion. He looks pretty good to me. Very mobile, very heady. He would thrive at OU in my opinion. He's 6-4 so, to me, he sees the field very well. Would love to see a scrambling QB at OU, it's been a while. I guess since he was not from Texas, Stoops didn't offer.

Yeah thats it, we only offer texas quarterbacks ha. He's a 2 star player on scout and we have the returning Heisman winner, 2 highly touted QB's and the #1 QB next year, that would probably be why we didn't offer him.

Not to be overlooked in the pros and cons of signing this kid, he's a great student (somewhere around 4.0 I believe) and he wants to be a Sooner. Walk ons who can boost the team GPA and contribute in practice as well as have a chance to compete for minutes on the court are an asset to any program.

This! :clap

Cardiovascular surgeons make a buck or two and Ryan's father is known as one of the best in the country.

I am glad to hear this kid is considering OU as a walk-on but I am wondering how anyone possibly knows who the best doctor is? It seems to me to be an awfully subjective standard, even substantially more so than the BCS championship.

I am glad to hear this kid is considering OU as a walk-on but I am wondering how anyone possibly knows who the best doctor is? It seems to me to be an awfully subjective standard, even substantially more so than the BCS championship.

Dr. James Andrews. I am sure you have heard of him. It's a reputation thing. Sometimes undeserved most of the time not. Kinda like the top 25?

Update: Meeting with Jeff was amazing last night. Ryan has until Friday to decide what he wants to do. I'd say football is out of the equation. It just boils down to if he wants to give up a lot of time to play basketball or just be a regular student. I think he's going to do it though. He can be really really good with some great coaching IMO, and might even earn a scholarship.

And to brettromar, I don't know where you are getting that Ryan takes 25 - 30 shots a game. He doesn't. He was forced to be the McGuinness offense once Orton went down and led them to the playoffs pretty much by himself. I've seen him in Lighthouse games against former D-1 type talent and he can take over in those.

Back