Ryan Randolph walking on at OU?

Re: Ryan Randolph

Update: Meeting with Jeff was amazing last night. Ryan has until Friday to decide what he wants to do. I'd say football is out of the equation. It just boils down to if he wants to give up a lot of time to play basketball or just be a regular student. I think he's going to do it though. He can be really really good with some great coaching IMO, and might even earn a scholarship.

And to brettromar, I don't know where you are getting that Ryan takes 25 - 30 shots a game. He doesn't. He was forced to be the McGuinness offense once Orton went down and led them to the playoffs pretty much by himself. I've seen him in Lighthouse games against former D-1 type talent and he can take over in those.

Thanks for the update. Romar would have a different tune if he were from the greater Tulsa area! j/k....kinda.

I hope he decides to walk-on.

Update: Meeting with Jeff was amazing last night. Ryan has until Friday to decide what he wants to do. I'd say football is out of the equation. It just boils down to if he wants to give up a lot of time to play basketball or just be a regular student. I think he's going to do it though. He can be really really good with some great coaching IMO, and might even earn a scholarship.

And to brettromar, I don't know where you are getting that Ryan takes 25 - 30 shots a game. He doesn't. He was forced to be the McGuinness offense once Orton went down and led them to the playoffs pretty much by himself. I've seen him in Lighthouse games against former D-1 type talent and he can take over in those.

I have seen the kid play, he is not an ou type talent, he would not be in the top 5 players in the state, and after the top 2, none of the other three are OU type talent. I have seen him play 6 times the last two years, I did not know who he was until someone said he took so many shots against Union, then I figured it out.

As for Lighthouse, I used to light it up at that court and I suck. I could take over in those games and I could not even walkon at Tulsa Community College basketball team. I am not saying the kid is not good, I just do not think he is an OU type talent, and I do not think what someone does at the lighthouse translates into being a good player.

Last edited:

I have seen the kid play, he is not an ou type talent, he would not be in the top 5 players in the state, and after the top 2, none of the other three are OU type talent. I have seen him play 6 times the last two years, I did not know who he was until someone said he took so many shots against Union, then I figured it out.

As for Lighthouse, I used to light it up at that court and I suck. I could take over in those games and I could not even walkon at Tulsa Community College basketball team. I am not saying the kid is not good, I just do not think he is an OU type talent, and I do not think what someone does at the lighthouse translates into being a good player.

The dude's walking on, he's not stepping into the starting lineup. And who didn't light it up at the Lighthouse. Nobody plays defense their.

Folks, let's not forget we're talking about a potential walk on to the basketball team here, not someone who is expected to come in and have an immediate impact or even contribute to the team next season, or any other season for that matter. It's also possible he could improve enough to be awarded a scholarship and earn his way into the rotation at some point. It certainly wouldn't be the first time a walk on has proven his worth to a college BB team.

Judging by everything I've read about Ryan, he's a good athlete and no worse than a decent basketball player who averaged nearly 22 points per game last season. More importantly, perhaps, he's a great student with a 4.0 average who would contribute to the team's overall GPA, just as Beau Gerber and T. J. Franklin have done this year. That's no small thing in a day when the NCAA is looking over every college basketball team's academic shoulder on an annual basis. I'd dare say no one here would say that Beau and T. J. are not assets to OU's hoops program.

I have a great deal of respect for walk ons who work hard in class and in practice for the good of the team and those few, fleeting minutes in the spotlight.

Three cheers for the walk ons! :woot :woot :woot

Thanks for the update. Romar would have a different tune if he were from the greater Tulsa area! j/k....kinda.

I hope he decides to walk-on.

Bigtime that isn't true. There isn't anyone in the Tulsa area last year or in the next few years I would OU to even look at.

Ryan is not a good athlete, he is better than that. He did well this year and is a good leader. I wasn't trying to knock him when I said he took a lot of shots, as his friend said, he had to. Just because I say someone is not a big12 level player doesn't mean the kid can't play. There are a lot more college playing basketball than just the big 6 conferences. Ryan is a good player, but in my opinion he is not an OU player. I know he is walking on and I am not bashing him. I am just giving my opinion.

He is a better athlete than people realize.
Plays HARD
Decent shooter from 15 but not someone that would scare me from 20

He needs to improve his ball handing and his shooting.

He is a great addition as a walk on. :clap

In the 2 games I saw Ryan this past season he shot the ball a lot for the same reasons you say. That is not a knock on him, just saying that he scored a lot but sometimes shot a lot to get there.

Looks like Ryan will probably give it a go.

That is really good news! I love walks ons who bring a love for the university, a great work ethic on the court and in the classroom as well as a little talent to the team. Ryan will be a nice addition to the program.

I'll be pulling for this guy. You've got to appreciate someone who has the confidence to try.

Stoops should have offered him in my opinion. He looks pretty good to me. Very mobile, very heady. He would thrive at OU in my opinion. He's 6-4 so, to me, he sees the field very well. Would love to see a scrambling QB at OU, it's been a while. I guess since he was not from Texas, Stoops didn't offer.

Too bad Stoops doesn't offer Oklahoma QB's, we could have had the best in the nation if he did. Kid named, uh Brelford ... er Bradhammer ... Sam someone.

Too bad Stoops doesn't offer Oklahoma QB's, we could have had the best in the nation if he did. Kid named, uh Brelford ... er Bradhammer ... Sam someone.

Didn't that kid named after a color have success too? what was his name, Jason Black... Redd... Blue... Greene... Browne

He's starting summer school next week. Its a go. I'm excited for him. Should be a great experience for him regardless of his role.

Back