Sports guy tweeting about Perry Jones...

elmocarp

Reaction score
Is it too early to get excited about Perry Jones? And how the eff did Baylor get him?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quxsxSe1YTo"]He included this link: [/ame]

The highlights look great for him, but I keep wondering why the guys that see the most of him don't rate him as highly as the national services. I assume there are some plays that don't make highlight tapes that are a little less impressive. Regardless, I'm certainly not looking forward to facing him next year...

video has been around for a month causing a sensation in the Baylor world. Here is a link to the top 20 players in the nation for 2010 according to Rivals. Some OU prospects included

[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16w1ipmBYv8"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16w1ipmBYv8[/ame]

I keep wondering why the guys that see the most of him don't rate him as highly as the national services.

doesn't always play hard. has stretches where he doesn't do much of anything.

doesn't always play hard. has stretches where he doesn't do much of anything.

The ultra talented big men usually have stretches in high school where they don't play hard. The game comes too easy for them. Perry has improved a lot in the last year. He has worked very hard on his ball handling and outside shot.

I think it is likely that Perry averages 20 pts, 8 rebs and 3 blocks per game at Baylor for the one year that he is there. He will be their focal guy offensively along with Lace Dunn. He is just oozing with talent and the competition in practice against guys like Ekpe Udoh, Cory Jefferson, Anthony Jones and Quincy Acy will sharpen his focus and effort.

I feel sad for Perry Jones. He's obviously an ultratalented kid, but he's going to one of the worst X&O coaches in college basketball.

The ultra talented big men usually have stretches in high school where they don't play hard. The game comes too easy for them. Perry has improved a lot in the last year. He has worked very hard on his ball handling and outside shot.

I think it is likely that Perry averages 20 pts, 8 rebs and 3 blocks per game at Baylor for the one year that he is there. He will be their focal guy offensively along with Lace Dunn. He is just oozing with talent and the competition in practice against guys like Ekpe Udoh, Cory Jefferson, Anthony Jones and Quincy Acy will sharpen his focus and effort.

Want_A_Cookie.jpg

But seriously, you deserve a gold star for you positive attitude about Baylor.

Want_A_Cookie.jpg

But seriously, you deserve a gold star for you positive attitude about Baylor.

Soonersam- very clever reference to Quincy Acy aka "The Cookie Monster".

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/acy_quincy00.html

DM- Baylor ranked 3rd in the big 12 and 13th in the nation in offensive efficiency. They had problems on defense because they started 3 guys under 6'1". But don't let the facts get in the way of your opinions on Scott Drew:

http://www.kenpom.com/stats.php?y=2009&s=8

Soonersam- very clever reference to Quincy Acy aka "The Cookie Monster".

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/acy_quincy00.html

DM- Baylor ranked 3rd in the big 12 and 13th in the nation in offensive efficiency. They had problems on defense because they started 3 guys under 6'1". But don't let the facts get in the way of your opinions on Scott Drew:

http://www.kenpom.com/stats.php?y=2009&s=8

I am still waiting on your inbound play stats, DFW.

I also think you are setting yourself up to be disappointed if you think that Perry will come in and average 20 ppg as a true freshman. Very unlikely imo.

The video looks good though. Kid can play, and he really improved this summer at a much higher level then I anticipated. Should be a good player.

BT- I haven't talked to the coach that gave me that stat. And he could have been pulling it out of his butt... But Baylor coaches are stat geeks so I bet it had some substance behind it. I watched every Baylor game last year and remember them being very efficient on inbound plays- alley oops to Rogers or picks for Dunn. I will commit to have something for you when we meet in Waco in January either some substance or a humiliating retraction :)

I am probably overzealous about Perry Jones' scoring. I think he is the type of guy that will rise to the occasion against OU, UT and Kansas and score over 20 in those games but will not be as assertive against the teams on the schedule that are easier to deal with. That has certainly been his pattern in the past.

So I am revising my predictions to 14 pts, 8 rebs and 3 blocks after re-thinking it

BT- I haven't talked to the coach that gave me that stat. And he could have been pulling it out of his butt... But Baylor coaches are stat geeks so I bet it had some substance behind it. I watched every Baylor game last year and remember them being very efficient on inbound plays- alley oops to Rogers or picks for Dunn. I will commit to have something for you when we meet in Waco in January either some substance or a humiliating retraction :)

I am probably overzealous about Perry Jones' scoring. I think he is the type of guy that will rise to the occasion against OU, UT and Kansas and score over 20 in those games but will not be as assertive against the teams on the schedule that are easier to deal with. That has certainly been his pattern in the past.

So I am revising my predictions to 14 pts, 8 rebs and 3 blocks after re-thinking it

Those are a little more reasonable. I don't know much about his ability as a rebounder, but the guy can dribble the ball like a small forward. Reminds me of Blake a little in that department.

Then don't start those guys. Especially when you have a 6'8 wing, a 6'3 athlete in Dugat and a 6'4 guy in Dunn. But two of those three guys can't play defense either. Maybe the problem isn't who they started at defense, but who they have coaching it. Tyrell Reid, Sherron Collins, Morningstar, and Taylor aren't giants, but they seem to do quite fine. Fact is your boy's philosophy omits alot of important components needed in having a successful basketball program.

And yes, I give him credit, he's a decent recruiter, but as I pointed out with Capel today, Drew has yet to sign an elite recruit. Jones is probably that first guy.

DM- Drew obviously thought a line-up of Dugat, Carter, Jerrells, Dunn and Rogers gave them the best opportunity to win. Based on the prior season I can see why he thought that. He made adjustments during the postseason by going to a 2-3 zone with Lomers or Diene in the middle and that was a good adjustment. Should have done it earlier and he would be the first to admit that. The x and o for Drew offensively has been good since he has been there.

Dugat is 5'11" by the way. This is a pivotal year for Drew. He has a radically different roster that is built for defense- Udoh and length at the wings. Drew needs to make the tourney because he has some very good recruiting momentum going. If he makes the dance, he will have a strong foundation going into 2010-2011 where they only lose Carter and Lomers and add Perry Jones and possibly a great PG (Selby, Pressey or Franklin)

DM- Drew obviously thought a line-up of Dugat, Carter, Jerrells, Dunn and Rogers gave them the best opportunity to win. Based on the prior season I can see why he thought that. He made adjustments during the postseason by going to a 2-3 zone with Lomers or Diene in the middle and that was a good adjustment. Should have done it earlier and he would be the first to admit that. The x and o for Drew offensively has been good since he has been there.

Dugat is 5'11" by the way. This is a pivotal year for Drew. He has a radically different roster that is built for defense- Udoh and length at the wings. Drew needs to make the tourney because he has some very good recruiting momentum going. If he makes the dance, he will have a strong foundation going into 2010-2011 where they only lose Carter and Lomers and add Perry Jones and possibly a great PG (Selby, Pressey or Franklin)

You don't really think that Baylor is getting Selby, do you?

Drew obviously thought a line-up of Dugat, Carter, Jerrells, Dunn and Rogers gave them the best opportunity to win

Yeah, which is why they lost by almost 50 to OU and gave up bucket after bucket to Ku down the stretch. The line-up gave Baylor it's best opportunity to score, not to win. Which is why he's a bad coach.

He made adjustments during the postseason by going to a 2-3 zone with Lomers or Diene in the middle and that was a good adjustment

First off, he made the adjustment in the twilight of his season. Why? Because a 2-3 zone with proper scouting get's dissected by guys like Barnes, Self, Capel, Anderson, Ford, etc. Second, a 2-3 zone is a bandaid to a team that can't play M2M. Baylor couldn't play M2M. My biggest petpeeve is hearing people rave about Boheim being a 2-3 genius when the fact is he sucks as a M2M coach.

Udoh and length at the wings

Udoh will provide a defensive Boost, but as we have alway seen, when you have a guy like that as the last line of defense for a week defensive team, that guy ends up in foul trouble or giving up points on the backside. He'll have an affect on the many offensive players that Baylor can't stay in front of, but he'll also be in alot of foul trouble.

Selby, Pressey, or Franklin

Thanks for the humor.

I bet Perry Jones could dominate Tim Duncan.

So if Udoh is Tim Duncan, what does that make Jones?

Last edited:
You don't really think that Baylor is getting Selby, do you?

No- but Knight appears headed to UK and UConn will take a commitment from Irving if he commits first. If those two things happen, it gets interesting. I prefer Pressey but I have to admit I think Mizzou will land him. Franklin- USC decommit- is probably Baylor's best shot of the 3.

Back