Transfer Portal Thread

I like what we have done in offseason but I wish mawein had stayed. He would have played a ton for us next year imo. He is going to be a nobody in that terrible league he is playing in now.

I like what we have done in offseason but I wish mawein had stayed. He would have played a ton for us next year imo. He is going to be a nobody in that terrible league he is playing in now.

agreed but he was patricks guy ..

I agree. I was quite encouraged by him when he had to step up in Chag's absence midseason. If he didn't see himself getting more than spot minutes next season, I can understand why he left, but I would be more confident with him going into next year than in the current backups.

you can't say we didn't fill any of the big spots .. when we signed a big

and 2 guard?? Uzan Otewh Bamasile all can play the 2 .. and between Uzan and Bijan we are better at the back up pg then we were almost all of last season ..

If Tanner gets injured, you're comfortable going into the meat of the Big 12 season with Northweather and Godwin at the 5? I like both and think they'll be great contributors for us, but that's just not enough at the 5.

Two wing positions. Pencil Bam in at the starter. CJ can start, Oweh can start, shoot, Schroeder might start. I'm mostly worried about the combo/second ball handler role. Sherfield and Uzan are our only ball handlers / lead guards that I think can compete with the ball in their hands. That's a minor improvement from last year, but we're a couple of bumps and bruises away from starting a true freshman PG and a true freshman 5 in a league full of 5th year seniors at those positions.

I love the guys we do have ... but that's not an optimal roster situation.

We don't need to take guys just to take guys.

I feel pretty good about our depth 1-4. If somebody is available that can backup the 5 that is better than what we have, I wouldn't mind another capable body there.

Otherwise, at this point, probably just need to roll with what we have.

The hopes is that the league will be not as good with bigs than last year for Groves to be successful. If there are any decent bigs that are athletic or strong, it’s going to be a long year.

lol pretty much no team plays 12 guys ..

and if you take 2 more multi year guys you only have 1 scholarship for next years recruiting class ..

This logic relies on 3 assumptions:
1. Everyone stays healthy (very possible)
2. All incoming players are ready to contribute at big 12 level (unlikely, based on past experience)
3. We need to save scholarships to be able to bring in multiple players next year (very unlikely in portal era)

I agree we don't take just anyone, but if we get any chance at serviceable post depth I think we have reason to roll the dice.

If Tanner gets injured, you're comfortable going into the meat of the Big 12 season with Northweather and Godwin at the 5?

Not really, but here is my follow up question:

What portal bigs do we have a legitimate shot at that are definitively better options than those two?

I really don't think next year's team is the OU team that is going to make a bunch of noise. A lot of new faces. A lot of youth. So while I'll be pretty upset if we don't have the kind of season I'd like to have at a minimum, I also think we should be looking to 2023-2024 moreso than next season.

After looking things over, I do agree that we probably need another experienced guard to either come off the bench, or challenge Noland for the other starting spot. I'm not expecting the freshman to come in and start, but I also don't like the idea of them and Cortes as the only guards off the bench, so I'm changing my tune there just a bit.

Still, at this point, the biggest issue is that most of the impact portal players that we had a shot with are gone. What's left doesn't really move the needle.

My thoughts:

At the 5: Tanner -- I think he will be improved.
Jacob -- primary backup 5
Godwin -- backup 5
Northweather -- backup 5

At the 4: Hill -- I think he will be improved
Jacob -- primary backup 4
B. Schroeder

At the wings: Bamisile and Noland
Oweh, Schroeder and Uzan -- primary backups

Point: Sherfield
Cortes -- primary backup
Uzan

Of course, this assume Sherfield and Bamisile get waivers and we don't get any other players that are good enough to get in the rotation.

all in all, this looks like a better team than last year to me

My thoughts:

At the 5: Tanner -- I think he will be improved.
Jacob -- primary backup 5
Godwin -- backup 5
Northweather -- backup 5

At the 4: Hill -- I think he will be improved
Jacob -- primary backup 4
B. Schroeder

At the wings: Bamisile and Noland
Oweh, Schroeder and Uzan -- primary backups

Point: Sherfield
Cortes -- primary backup
Uzan

Of course, this assume Sherfield and Bamisile get waivers and we don't get any other players that are good enough to get in the rotation.

all in all, this looks like a better team than last year to me

Jacob probably won't play a single minute at the 5. More of a 3/4. Definitely not a 5.

Jacob needs to add strength this offseason(which he's doing I hope) and back up Hill at the 4. He's nowhere near quick or athletic enough to guard anything close to a guard. He needs to learn to rebound and mix it up as he's almost 6-10. Because, his only other thing was outside shooting, and that was inconsistent last year. He did mix it up and get some rebounds against Baylor and Tech in the conference tournament, but he needs to do that every night next year.

Looks like Ramey is going to pick Arizona.

As far as OU, it's so quiet. If anything is happening, it's certainly hushed/behind-the-scenes right now.

Last edited:
Jacob needs to add strength this offseason(which he's doing I hope) and back up Hill at the 4. He's nowhere near quick or athletic enough to guard anything close to a guard. He needs to learn to rebound and mix it up as he's almost 6-10. Because, his only other thing was outside shooting, and that was inconsistent last year. He did mix it up and get some rebounds against Baylor and Tech in the conference tournament, but he needs to do that every night next year.
The idea that a player entering his 4th year can somehow figure out how to become physical and add necessary mass is always far-fetched. Maybe from freshman to sopohmore year, but I gurantee you all the "effort in the gym" the Groves bros are claiming to put in this summer will amount to zero change in their play.

From the start of big 12 play through the rest of the year. Ou was out rebounded 9x. 3 of those 9 were by 1 reb.

I know a few games we were hammered but we also hammered a few teams on the glass in season.

I think every guy will
Be bigger and stronger when season rolls around again.

The idea that a player entering his 4th year can somehow figure out how to become physical and add necessary mass is always far-fetched. Maybe from freshman to sopohmore year, but I gurantee you all the "effort in the gym" the Groves bros are claiming to put in this summer will amount to zero change in their play.

Odd take. Guys keep getting better from college to nba. Saying a 21 year old is what he is… especially lifting wise is a tad short sided.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/HeatCheckHoops/status/1534623325439283200[/TWEET]

The one good thing about the transfer portal?

It keeps message boards interesting in the off-season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stacy King says hi.

Mind you, I'm not saying for a second that JGroves is the next Stacy King. But your broad-brush pronouncement has been proven wrong many times.

From the start of big 12 play through the rest of the year. Ou was out rebounded 9x. 3 of those 9 were by 1 reb.

I know a few games we were hammered but we also hammered a few teams on the glass in season.

I think every guy will
Be bigger and stronger when season rolls around again.

Groves and Hill are both good rebounders. Jacob Groves is long and does compete for boards. He had an okay rebounding rate last year -- better offensively than defensively.

I think Bamisile can be a very good rebounder, and Sherfield showed that he has a knack for tracking down the ball. I think rebounding will be a strength. Athleticism will be MUCH improved.

Ball-handling outside of Sherfield and depth at the center position are the really big questions for us.

Back