Transfer Portal Thread

OU isn't offering anything. The "1Oklahoma" collective might be.

And while I get that OU is going to be "associated" with that collective, people really need to quit saying/suggesting that schools are paying this or that. They aren't.

You say that but the Miami kids rep was telling the school that he will leave. So the school is involved some how. If this kid leaves Miami, does his current deal go with him? Probably not, so most of these nil deals are worked and tied into the school.

I hope they all go down like the Hindenburg.

I wouldn’t hate that either. It’s a big risk for everyone on both sides of NIL — if anything this just shows how much a risk it is on the collective side. Wong could also easily have his power play blow up in his face. But these types of power plays are going to be what gets things in check. When “investors” see their early money isn’t a sure thing to retain talent, they might think twice.

The NCAA is going to have to make some rules governing this or the fans are going to check out. If we want to watch professional basketball there's already a superior product that exists.

NIL is already completely out of control. We know there are rich guys all over the country with more money than brains who are going to love showering their favorite team's players with cash.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/HeatCheckHoops/status/1520058015453483008[/TWEET]

Announcing today

The NCAA is going to have to make some rules governing this or the fans are going to check out. If we want to watch professional basketball there's already a superior product that exists.

NIL is already completely out of control. We know there are rich guys all over the country with more money than brains who are going to love showering their favorite team's players with cash.

the only thing the NCAA can do is limit the transfer window and or eliminate waivers/direct eligibility ..

they can't do anything about NIL

You say that but the Miami kids rep was telling the school that he will leave. So the school is involved some how. If this kid leaves Miami, does his current deal go with him? Probably not, so most of these nil deals are worked and tied into the school.

The deal certainly won't follow him to a new school. We all know how it works in practice. No one working for the school can be directly involved in the payment, but they can make sure the players know how to connect with the boosters and NIL folks. The people who are paying the players are doing because they want them to play for the school they support, so if a kid transfers, the deal won't go with him.

I don’t think it’s good for college sports as a fan, but I don’t think asking for a raise makes anyone a moron. Call me crazy, but I’ll pull for the college kid over the billionaire financier.

Both sides bear some responsibility. A kid wants to get paid and signs a contract. Then he asks for a raise? That’s not how it works. The negotiating period is over when you sign the contract. That’s life.

This situation was entirely predictable. It’s already out of control. If there aren’t firm rules put in place, college sports will die.

the only thing the NCAA can do is limit the transfer window and or eliminate waivers/direct eligibility ..

I don't see why they can't put a cap on it and tie it to eligibility. If the professional leagues can have a salary cap then so can the NCAA.

Both sides bear some responsibility. A kid wants to get paid and signs a contract. Then he asks for a raise? That’s not how it works. The negotiating period is over when you sign the contract. That’s life.

This situation was entirely predictable. It’s already out of control. If there aren’t firm rules put in place, college sports will die.

That's not "life" in the world of sports. The NFL contracts are heavily weighted towards the teams who can cut players any time, even after both sides have signed a contract. Players negotiate new contracts all the time while they are under contract. They hold out for more money, years, bonuses etc.

I don't see why they can't put a cap on it and tie it to eligibility. If the professional leagues can have a salary cap then so can the NCAA.

pro leagues have a CBA ..with a union ..

the NCAA can not cap pay in any way ..

Disagree. Yes they can do something about the NIL. They have every right in the world to define what an amateur is or isn't. They can't keep kids from getting endorsement money, but they can declare that if they do, they are no longer amateurs. This ability would be contingent upon their eliminating any rules limiting their ability to turn pro. The greedy idiots that run college sports have historically wanted their cake and to eat it to. They force kids to college where they can't get paid for play. This is wrong. However, if you get out of the business of screwing kids and making them work for free, you can simply reserve amateur athletics to the kids that are willing to exchange a free education for participating.

If a kid is good enough to go pro or talk someone into giving them an NIL deal in or out of high school, fine and good on them. We all know this will quickly dry up as the only reason these NIL deals exist is to get them to attend a particular college. It is pay to play.

If you want to stop it, just stop it. Universities have to just quit screwing and exploiting kids for profit and live with playing the games with kids that are willing to play for an education.

Disagree. Yes they can do something about the NIL. They have every right in the world to define what an amateur is or isn't. They can't keep kids from getting endorsement money, but they can declare that if they do, they are no longer amateurs. This ability would be contingent upon their eliminating any rules limiting their ability to turn pro. The greedy idiots that run college sports have historically wanted their cake and to eat it to. They force kids to college where they can't get paid for play. This is wrong. However, if you get out of the business of screwing kids and making them work for free, you can simply reserve amateur athletics to the kids that are willing to exchange a free education for participating.

If a kid is good enough to go pro or talk someone into giving them an NIL deal in or out of high school, fine and good on them. We all know this will quickly dry up as the only reason these NIL deals exist is to get them to attend a particular college. It is pay to play.

If you want to stop it, just stop it. Universities have to just quit screwing and exploiting kids for profit and live with playing the games with kids that are willing to play for an education.

Well the courts have ruled that college athletes have a right to sell their NIL, so you can't just "stop it." They must find a way to regulate it however or it's the end of college athletics. This is not sustainable.

Well the courts have ruled that college athletes have a right to sell their NIL, so you can't just "stop it." They must find a way to regulate it however or it's the end of college athletics. This is not sustainable.

they can not cap pay period .. . that would get crushed in court ..

The NCAA doesn't set rules defining when kids can turn pro. The pro leagues are the ones in charge of that.

Stopping free transfers is key. Nobody really cares if a kid is making 400k, people do care if they keep having 8 kids in & out of the program they cheer for. Leaving a school for a pay raise has got to stop, I definitely see them capping earnings to keep kids from continuing to do this.

It depends on what the contract says. The contract probably doesn’t require that he play for Miami (although it might), but it may be hard for him to perform on the contract if he is not in the Miami area. It’s very hard to require someone to perform on a contract, but there may be damages specified in the contract for breach. Anyway, my main point was I don’t think the players are morons for wanting more money. Whether they can succeed in getting it…that’s a different story.

I definitely see them capping earnings to keep kids from continuing to do this.

this will not happen the NCAA can not do anything to cap pay ..

only federal legislation could do that and that is not going to happen .

Stopping free transfers is key. Nobody really cares if a kid is making 400k, people do care if they keep having 8 kids in & out of the program they cheer for. Leaving a school for a pay raise has got to stop, I definitely see them capping earnings to keep kids from continuing to do this.

I agree with this. It either needs to be hard limited to one transfer or go back to sitting out a year and strictly apply waivers (but perhaps make the criteria a bit more broad).

Back