Transfer Portal Thread

this will not happen the NCAA can not do anything to cap pay ..

only federal legislation could do that and that is not going to happen .

They will do something to keep kids from transferring every year

They might be able to if the athletes were considered employees of the school and they collectively bargained the exclusive use of NIL to the schools. But even then I’m not sure.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/TravisBranham_/status/1520070437413163008[/TWEET]

---------------

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1520070475942092800[/TWEET]

I'm all for restricting college athletics to amateur participants and letting all athletes who want to get paid go pro. But how would one enforce it now? Could a scholarship athlete make no money, even by waiting tables or working in retail? And if they could make money that way, how do you prevent them from accepting NIL money?

If it's legally possible to restrict how they can earn money and still retain their amateur status, I'm all for it, but I'm not sure it is (but I am the furthest thing from a legal expert).

Last edited:
Mentioned this name. Could come into play with the NW connections on the staff.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1520073125412622339[/TWEET]

------

Missed the earlier Northweather announcement tweet. He's deciding at noon.

I see Northweather is announcing at noon, down to us and Mizzou. If he picks us, I can only assume he was scared off by the JUCOs that are heading to Columbia. :)

Has he visited OU yet?

Never mind. I see that he has.

Last edited:

Sure they can.

NIL is what is legal. That isn't what is happening right now. All the NCAA or the Feds have to do is step in and call a spade a spade. Put some numbers to paper. OU's 85th player on scholarship isn't making ANY outside entity $50k a year in NIL.

Sure they can.

NIL is what is legal. That isn't what is happening right now. All the NCAA or the Feds have to do is step in and call a spade a spade. Put some numbers to paper. OU's 85th player on scholarship isn't making ANY outside entity $50k a year in NIL.

market value is by definition whatever someone will pay period ..

anything to limit pay is not legal ..

I agree with Boulder on what the NCAA can and cannot do. All you have to do is look at the court decision(s) on NIL, state legislatures actions, and the comments from Justice Cavanaugh on the pay to play issue and realize the NCAA cannot limit what an athlete is able to receive on his N,I,L directly from a business. The NCAA has no jurisdiction over the business, and the courts and laws have sided with the athlete.

Plus, as Boulder said, market value is what someone will pay. Anyone that has tried to sell a house realizes that. Right now market value is most often much higher than appraised value. It is whatever the buyer is willing to pay.

The only thing the NCAA can do is put limits on eligibility or transfers. If they just got rid of the immediate eligibility rule they did last April it would stymie the number and frequency of transfers immediately.

I agree ncaa is toothless when it comes to reining in NIL. They need to work with the NfL to allow players to go pro out of high school. Then update their amateur status definition to say you cannot take any endorsement money and still be considered an amateur. I remember Jeremy bloom had to forfeit playing football at colorado because he did a few tiny endorsements for skying for his Olympic training.

I agree ncaa is toothless when it comes to reining in NIL. They need to work with the NfL to allow players to go pro out of high school. Then update their amateur status definition to say you cannot take any endorsement money and still be considered an amateur. I remember Jeremy bloom had to forfeit playing football at colorado because he did a few tiny endorsements for skying for his Olympic training.

now that the door is open it is never getting closed ..

they need to limit the free transfers ..

As the governing body, ncaa has the authority to review nil deals and if it’s straight pay for play, like some are, they can make player ineligible for college. If there is actual work or the company does use the nil in business or advertising, then it would be legal. Should be easy for a company to throw a player nil into a adver or tv/ radio spot.

But if the company is not using any of that, then it’s not really nil and it’s pay for play, which is technically still against ncaa rules.

As the governing body, ncaa has the authority to review nil deals and if it’s straight pay for play, like some are, they can make player ineligible for college. If there is actual work or the company does use the nil in business or advertising, then it would be legal. Should be easy for a company to throw a player nil into a adver or tv/ radio spot.

But if the company is not using any of that, then it’s not really nil and it’s pay for play, which is technically still against ncaa rules.

attorneys are making these deals ... by the letter of them they are not "pay for play"

the NCAA is not going to touch NIL ..

the "work" legit could be 1 post on social media ..

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/LNorthweather22/status/1520085149781737472[/TWEET]

Was definitely wrong on LN. Figured it would be Mizzou.

Putting the LN in LNC.

It'll be interesting to see his development.

attorneys are making these deals ... by the letter of them they are not "pay for play"

the NCAA is not going to touch NIL ..

the "work" legit could be 1 post on social media ..

I think nil definition is part of issue. Traditional nil is payed when company is using your image such as advertising, video games, magazines…. If a player posts on social media about a company, that is more sponsorship then NIL. But agree it would be fairly easy to write in the contract what is being delivered. My opinion is that definitely should be a part of every deal.

Honestly would have just preferred a set amount upfront for all players in college. Every year the amount goes up, so a senior player would get more then a freshman.

Back