Transfer Portal Thread

PLEASE

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/TravisGrafHoops/status/1520936296981671936[/TWEET]

Is it me or did Walker say some derogatory things about OU?

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/TJEckertKTUL/status/1496904651165347849?s=20&t=r7yG5Hkf__hyXSq_SIk5ZQ[/TWEET]

Well, his class only had to wait a couple more days. I don't know, it would be cool to get a guy with his size and athleticism. But again, just seems.....messed up.

I’ve always supported the players and their right to transfer when coaches leave, etc. However, a player changing schools every year or playing for 5 different teams in their college career is not good for a players development or getting an employable degree.

There has to be more structure to protect players and to protect the schools and the sport. This current environment isn’t good for anyone.

Most of your ideas there are good and I would agree with them.

I was driving today and heard an interesting discussion on ESPN radio. Jay Bilas was leading the discussion, and there were a couple of current coaches. Leonard Hamilton was talking a lot, and he said some interesting things.

He said: He's not against NIL, but what we are dealing with now isn't NIL, but pay to play. He talked about boosters pooling upwards of 100 million dollars to pay for certain players, at certain schools. He also told a story about how coaches have no leverage or say so with the players, because agents and handlers have completely taken over.

He mentioned a well-known coach who is a good friend of his, who noticed two high-level players were interested in transferring to his school. He was never contacted by the players or their families, and he had no conversation with them at all. He said the players had an agent, and the agent negotiated with a booster affiliated with the school. Once an amount was agreed upon, the players announced they were transferring to his school on Twitter.

He also mentioned only 25 schools actually make money off of basketball, and how important a college degree is for 98% of the guys who play college hoops. He said education is completely off the table and not even discussed during recruiting with most elite athletes.

Bilas said the NCAA isn't going to do anything because they don't want to risk another lawsuit like the NIL lawsuit they are still dealing with. None of the panel was confident there will be a solution soon, but all agreed the current direction is destroying college basketball, and it's happening faster than anyone imagined... Bilas also said if every player who is currently in the portal got a scholarship, there would be about 200 still left because the scholarships will run out...

Very interesting discussion.

Well, his class only had to wait a couple more days. I don't know, it would be cool to get a guy with his size and athleticism. But again, just seems.....messed up.

No thanks. Offensive efficiency is off the charts in a bad way. Bad shooter, lacks basic skills on the offensive end. Good defender, good hustle guy, but not what we need.

I was driving today and heard an interesting discussion on ESPN radio. Jay Bilas was leading the discussion, and there were a couple of current coaches. Leonard Hamilton was talking a lot, and he said some interesting things.

He said: He's not against NIL, but what we are dealing with now isn't NIL, but pay to play. He talked about boosters pooling upwards of 100 million dollars to pay for certain players, at certain schools. He also told a story about how coaches have no leverage or say so with the players, because agents and handlers have completely taken over.

He mentioned a well-known coach who is a good friend of his, who noticed two high-level players were interested in transferring to his school. He was never contacted by the players or their families, and he had no conversation with them at all. He said the players had an agent, and the agent negotiated with a booster affiliated with the school. Once an amount was agreed upon, the players announced they were transferring to his school on Twitter.

He also mentioned only 25 schools actually make money off of basketball, and how important a college degree is for 98% of the guys who play college hoops. He said education is completely off the table and not even discussed during recruiting with most elite athletes.

Bilas said the NCAA isn't going to do anything because they don't want to risk another lawsuit like the NIL lawsuit they are still dealing with. None of the panel was confident there will be a solution soon, but all agreed the current direction is destroying college basketball, and it's happening faster than anyone imagined... Bilas also said if every player who is currently in the portal got a scholarship, there would be about 200 still left because the scholarships will run out...

Interesting indeed. I don’t believe this current environment is sustainable. It will destroy college basketball. There will be the NBA and a minor league development league. College basketball will be eradicated.

I would say it's a sad discussion.

Again, why do people think these older coaches are retiring? Majority don't want to deal with this stuff. And who could blame them?

Interesting indeed. I don’t believe this current environment is sustainable. It will destroy college basketball. There will be the NBA and a minor league development league. College basketball will be eradicated.

I disagree only because the only reason there’s this amount of money involved is due to extreme brand loyalty to colleges. A development league could never raise the kind of money being paid to college players now. That’s not to say it won’t destroy college basketball as we know it, though. But it will be around for better or worse.

I don’t think football will be as affected. There are too many players and for the most part any one guy won’t change things as much as basketball. There’s a reason teams tank in the NBA. Talent is more easily identifiable and those who have it make a much larger impact on team success.

The problem is, the G-League is costing these Owners millions per year, and only producing a few players that make the NBA and do anything. Developmental League isn't the answer either.

The problem is, the G-League is costing these Owners millions per year, and only producing a few players that make the NBA and do anything. Developmental League isn't the answer either.

45% of players in the NBA were in the G league at some point ..

much more then "a few players"

45% of players in the NBA were in the G league at some point ..

much more then "a few players"

Only a few make an impact, which was my main point (hence the do anything). Name one impact starter that came from the G-League besides Fred Van Fleet. I like how you ignored the fact they're losing millions.

My FIL works for the NBA. That's LITERALLY what he told me the other night.

Only a few make an impact, which was my main point (hence the do anything). Name one impact starter that came from the G-League besides Fred Van Fleet. I like how you ignored the fact they're losing millions.

Alex Caruso is pretty decent....he was a g leaguer

I would say it's a sad discussion.

Again, why do people think these older coaches are retiring? Majority don't want to deal with this stuff. And who could blame them?

They talked about that as well. Hamilton said that's exactly why so many are retiring, and many will follow in the near future.....

the G league just like minor league baseball ... can't be looked at a a separate thing ... it is the NBA

and very soon more then half the league will have had g league experience ..

it is not going anywhere ..

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/CBBcontent/status/1521115759530942469[/TWEET]

Few and far between. As I stated. Gary Payton II was a G-Leaguer as well.

Neither of those guys start consistently, unlike Van Fleet. FYI.

I was just talking from an impact situation

but also:

Khris Middleton
Pascal Siakam
Danny Green
Rudy Gobert
Jordan Clarkson
Chris Anderson
Hassan Whiteside

All spent some time in the G-League...some more time than others.......some were short stints.

Back