Transfer Portal Thread

A very successful coach told his assistants they will only take 2-3 freshmen a year and they have to be ready to play. Everyone else will come from the portal. Take known guys who are physically more developed. If they don’t play early they transfer so no reason to take guys that aren’t ready to play

This. This is the way of future imo. The idea of Moser taking guys like Godwin, and Northweather and developing them over a year or so and then they contribute sounds awesome on paper. Guys that are patient, buy into the system, and work hard to get better. But how do we know they're going to actually stay to do that? What if they both play limited minutes next year then decide to transfer to a place where they can play more? Or heck, a place that offers more money. This is not a reflection on those two young men. But a reflection of the college basketball culture that is prevalent.

For the record I think they're both good gets. But I think their contributions will be mainly felt two years and beyond. But will they stay?

Moved up to HIGH PRIORITY target

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/JamieShaw5/status/1521266052847616002[/TWEET]

Last edited:
If not, and OU doesn't make the Tournament for a second straight year. I would love to hear the positive optimism if they don't.

Imagine being so negative that you post something like this. You’re posting all day on a college sports forum. Life is good, Dude.

This. This is the way of future imo. The idea of Moser taking guys like Godwin, and Northweather and developing them over a year or so and then they contribute sounds awesome on paper. Guys that are patient, buy into the system, and work hard to get better. But how do we know they're going to actually stay to do that? What if they both play limited minutes next year then decide to transfer to a place where they can play more? Or heck, a place that offers more money. This is not a reflection on those two young men. But a reflection of the college basketball culture that is prevalent.

For the record I think they're both good gets. But I think their contributions will be mainly felt two years and beyond. But will they stay?

I completely agree. This is how it works now. You can’t count on 4 year guys developing in your program. If that happens, great, but in todays environment it’s becoming highly unlikely. As far as the portal, It’s almost like taking jucos back when they were immediate impact players.

We have to recruit guys ready to play every year. We can’t depend on development because if they don’t play much, they will transfer.

Moved up to HIGH PRIORITY target

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/JamieShaw5/status/1521266052847616002[/TWEET]

Marble was the prime target clearly. This dude doesn’t excite but maybe he can be chargois replacement.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/playforhim3/status/1521300076177547264[/TWEET]

My guess: Creighton

Last edited:
Not sure anyone else noticed this...when the Allick article went live, there was no visit date. The article now says May 6.

Marble was the prime target clearly. This dude doesn’t excite but maybe he can be chargois replacement.

He’s not good enough. He put up average numbers in one of the worse conferences. For perspective, the Walkon, Godwin is better than him and the 2022 kid.

He needs to get an athletic shot blocking type player for this league.

Last edited:
Imagine being so negative that you post something like this. You’re posting all day on a college sports forum. Life is good, Dude.

Not all day. I don't post much on here that often throughout the day.

Life is very good. Doesn't mean the basketball team is good, though. We need some impact players ASAP. Can't miss the tournament two years in a row. That's just bad.

I think a lot of people on here are missing the main point. Everyone wants the top tier players....everyone....but we competed really well with what we had. We simply need to improve overall to take the next step.

Bamisile and Sherfield (as long as that pans out) are an overall upgrade. I think Allick would be a solid pickup. He doesn't have to come be a superstar....he can come be a quality player. He shoots better than Hill and is bigger. If he moves Hill to the bench and we have Hill coming off the bench we upgrade.

The FR coming in look good....so we very well take another step in the right direction.

We improve our depth and our scoring...win-win

I think a lot of people on here are missing the main point. Everyone wants the top tier players....everyone....but we competed really well with what we had. We simply need to improve overall to take the next step.

Bamisile and Sherfield (as long as that pans out) are an overall upgrade. I think Allick would be a solid pickup. He doesn't have to come be a superstar....he can come be a quality player. He shoots better than Hill and is bigger. If he moves Hill to the bench and we have Hill coming off the bench we upgrade.

The FR coming in look good....so we very well take another step in the right direction.

If Hill goes to the bench, he transfers for sure as soon as he can.

Would love it from every perspective.

He is not a better player than Hill.

He is not a better player than Hill.

He looks more athletic to me on film...he definitely plays more athletic....he is DEFINITELY a better shooter. Rebounding? I don't know.

He shot 57% from the field and over 35% from 3. 15 ppg and 6 rpg

He also is 2 inches taller .......a stat I like.

I like Hill but I wouldn't be held hostage by a kid who would leave because he came off the bench instead of starting. Not saying Allick would beat him out for sure....just saying I think he is an upgrade....but who knows. Everything we talk about now if simply conjecture.

He looks more athletic to me on film...he definitely plays more athletic....he is DEFINITELY a better shooter. Rebounding? I don't know.

I like Hill but I wouldn't be held hostage by a kid who would leave because he came off the bench instead of starting. Not saying Allick would beat him out for sure....just saying I think he is an upgrade....but who knows. Everything we talk about now if simply conjecture.

Better scorer, taller, and clearly better shooter. But yet, because Hill hustles he's better? I just don't know anymore. I hate hyping up okay players at best. But it's done quite a bit.

Scheierman to Creighton. They're going to be really good.

So we are comparing stats between a guy in the best league in America and a guy playing in an atrocious league? People have spent months complaining about/being disappointed by Tanner … but we think this guy will come in and be better than one of our best overall players? Hill is a fantastic defender and a good rebounder and does so many things more than just “hustle.”

Back