Transfer Portal Thread

I know no one wants to admit this, but Hill is currently our best and most important player. He will start every game this year and probably work his way onto an all conference team.

He is the glue guy. Period. It would take a tremendous effort by multiple players to move him to the bench.

If Hill hit the portal, he would have had a who's who list of suitors. He rebounds at a high %, defends 5 positions, hustles his ass off, doesn't make mistakes, and makes winning basketball plays at the ends of games (offensive rebounds, defensive stops, tipped balls, blocked shots, protects the ball, etc.).

He shot 67% from 2 point range.

He needs to improve his corner 3 and his ability to get to the rim off the dribble, but he is a great and important college basketball player.

I know no one wants to admit this, but Hill is currently our best and most important player. He will start every game this year and probably work his way onto an all conference team.

He is the glue guy. Period. It would take a tremendous effort by multiple players to move him to the bench.

If Hill hit the portal, he would have had a who's who list of suitors. He rebounds at a high %, defends 5 positions, hustles his ass off, doesn't make mistakes, and makes winning basketball plays at the ends of games (offensive rebounds, defensive stops, tipped balls, blocked shots, protects the ball, etc.).

He needs to improve his corner 3 and his ability to get to the rim off the dribble, but he is a great and important college basketball player.

yep all of this ...

He looks more athletic to me on film...he definitely plays more athletic....he is DEFINITELY a better shooter. Rebounding? I don't know.

He shot 57% from the field and over 35% from 3. 15 ppg and 6 rpg

He also is 2 inches taller .......a stat I like.

I like Hill but I wouldn't be held hostage by a kid who would leave because he came off the bench instead of starting. Not saying Allick would beat him out for sure....just saying I think he is an upgrade....but who knows. Everything we talk about now if simply conjecture.

All good points I agree with!

I’m a HUGE Jalen Hill fan! But, I’m not the only one who has wanted him to be more aggressive inside, and stop passing on open shots he is definitely capable of completing at a respectable percentage. If an incoming player sends him to the bench, he has no one to blame but himself.

So we are comparing stats between a guy in the best league in America and a guy playing in an atrocious league? People have spent months complaining about/being disappointed by Tanner … but we think this guy will come in and be better than one of our best overall players? Hill is a fantastic defender and a good rebounder and does so many things more than just “hustle.”

I was comparing skill sets...but you do you. I said I like Hill but Allick brings some skill Hill hasn't shown. He may not beat Hill out...but he has tools we need.....whether it be starting or coming off the bench.

I don't dislike Hill....read my posts. I just think we need guys who push the ones we have for time on the floor...exactly how you build better teams.

He's a good role player but let's not get carried away. "Glue guys" are great but if he's our best player or close to our best player next year we are in for a world of hurt.

He's a good role player but let's not get carried away. "Glue guys" are great but if he's our best player or close to our best player next year we are in for a world of hurt.

I said "currently" our best player. Who on our roster is a better all around player than Hill? If we end up with Hill as our best player by the time the roster is constructed, we'll be last in the league because scoring will be a major challenge...

but right now, he's the best there is.

So we are comparing stats between a guy in the best league in America and a guy playing in an atrocious league? People have spent months complaining about/being disappointed by Tanner … but we think this guy will come in and be better than one of our best overall players? Hill is a fantastic defender and a good rebounder and does so many things more than just “hustle.”

So, we are debating a guy POTENTIALLY getting minutes from a guy who averaged 9 ppg and shot 20% from three?

We want to debate leagues but we slobber all over guys from Nevada, St Bonnie, and Louisiana?

Ok...I guess.

If that guys comes in and beats out Hill I'll be in disbelief. Hill was OU's most improved player & he will continue to do so. He changed his body so much to be able to guard in the post, now I believe his shot will be much improved because he strikes me as a guy who'll work his butt off.

So, we are debating a guy POTENTIALLY getting minutes from a guy who averaged 9 ppg and shot 20% from three?

We want to debate leagues but we slobber all over guys from Nevada, St Bonnie, and Louisiana?

Ok...I guess.

who also shot 67% from 2 and had a TS% of .641 and was overwelmingly positive in BPM and WS and is a great defender ..

o and got much better then he was the year prior ... (which i would bet a lot he does again)

who also shot 67% from 2 and had a TS% of .641 and was overwelmingly positive in BPM and WS and is a great defender ..

o and got much better then he was the year prior ... (which i would bet a lot he does again)

The part that confuses me about this board is that we complain and whine and groan about not winning...about not going to the dance.....but we get our feelings hurt when we discuss someone potentially beating out guys we "like"?

Some of you need to decide what you really want? a better team.....or a nostalgic walk in the park?

I'D BE GLAD TO SEE HILL START AND BE OUR BEST PLAYER.....but IF HE GETS BEAT OUT it won't hurt my feelings. Either way we get better....which is what I want. One of the things that has to happen for this team to take the next step is for the guys we have to improve (which Hill absolutely needs to do) or guys come in and beat them out (which you want guys coming in to push the guys we have). My worthless 2 cents

Ok...I guess.

Are you really compare those leagues and players to someone from Kansas City?

It's amazing, though not surprising, how many people still focus solely on scoring numbers. I imagine Bill Self is glad he didn't listen to all the KU fans who believed that his team had no chance to win the national title because his PG was a poor shooter who didn't score much.

The part that confuses me about this board is that we complain and whine and groan about not winning...about not going to the dance.....but we get our feelings hurt when we discuss someone potentially beating out guys we "like"?

Some of you need to decide what you really want? a better team.....or a nostalgic walk in the park?

I'D BE GLAD TO SEE HILL START AND BE OUR BEST PLAYER.....but IF HE GETS BEAT OUT it won't hurt my feelings. Either way we get better....which is what I want. One of the things that has to happen for this team to take the next step is for the guys we have to improve (which Hill absolutely needs to do) or guys come in and beat them out (which you want guys coming in to push the guys we have). My worthless 2 cents

It will not hurt my feelings at all if Hill gets beat out, I just don't think that guy is the one to do it.

I'd not be upset at all if Hill got beat out by a better player. Just don't see any universe in which the guy currently being discussed is that guy.

100%! Hill is a team guy. When he's at his best is when the offense is being run and he is able to utilize his strengths of cutting, slashing, screen and roll, or pick and pop. ISO one-on-one basketball is not an environment that Hill will ever be overly successful at. That's why he underperformed under Kruger. His best games this season will win the offense was flowing well.

I think a lot of people on here are missing the main point. Everyone wants the top tier players....everyone....but we competed really well with what we had. We simply need to improve overall to take the next step.

Bamisile and Sherfield (as long as that pans out) are an overall upgrade. I think Allick would be a solid pickup. He doesn't have to come be a superstar....he can come be a quality player. He shoots better than Hill and is bigger. If he moves Hill to the bench and we have Hill coming off the bench we upgrade.

The FR coming in look good....so we very well take another step in the right direction.

We improve our depth and our scoring...win-win

The point is you have to get guys who can compete in the second best league in basketball if not the best. You need athletes. Especially when OU goes SEC which is an all athlete league.

With this portal it’s a trickle down effect. From OU’s perspective, they are competing for the mid and low major guys that can play a level up. You can get fooled by fake stats. Groves was an example of that. Though Groves is a pretty good offensive player, there were times when he couldn’t be played down the stretch. Same thing with Chagrois who wasn’t good enough. Now we are targeting players who are below both of them.

This is because Moser is a system coach. A skilled passing and shooting big man at the high major level is pretty much a pro. OU isn’t going to get those guys. When you get a poor man’s version of those guys, you’re going to get exposed. This is the route Moser is taking in recruiting. If you Get this UMKC kid, you better balance him out with a shot blocking, rebounding, rim finishing type player and see which one pans out.

100%! Hill is a team guy. When he's at his best is when the offense is being run and he is able to utilize his strengths of cutting, slashing, screen and roll, or pick and pop. ISO one-on-one basketball is not an environment that Hill will ever be overly successful at. That's why he underperformed under Kruger. His best games this season will win the offense was flowing well.

Hill is OU’s best player because he gives you everything. If he can improve his scoring a bit, that would be a huge plus. Biggest thing I love about Hill is he makes his free throws.

The point is you have to get guys who can compete in the second best league in basketball if not the best. You need athletes. Especially when OU goes SEC which is an all athlete league.

With this portal it’s a trickle down effect. From OU’s perspective, they are competing for the mid and low major guys that can play a level up. You can get fooled by fake stats. Groves was an example of that. Though Groves is a pretty good offensive player, there were times when he couldn’t be played down the stretch. Same thing with Chagrois who wasn’t good enough. Now we are targeting players who are below both of them.

This is because Moser is a system coach. A skilled passing and shooting big man at the high major level is pretty much a pro. OU isn’t going to get those guys. When you get a poor man’s version of those guys, you’re going to get exposed. This is the route Moser is taking in recruiting. If you Get this UMKC kid, you better balance him out with a shot blocking, rebounding, rim finishing type player and see which one pans out.

the sec will be a much easier league to play basketball in ..

Back