Transfer Portal Thread

It will not hurt my feelings at all if Hill gets beat out, I just don't think that guy is the one to do it.

Do you think Groves can get beat out? Because truth of the matter is Hill is a lot better than Groves. I would honestly like to see Hill play a little small ball 5 this year.

The part that confuses me about this board is that we complain and whine and groan about not winning...about not going to the dance.....but we get our feelings hurt when we discuss someone potentially beating out guys we "like"?

Some of you need to decide what you really want? a better team.....or a nostalgic walk in the park?

I'D BE GLAD TO SEE HILL START AND BE OUR BEST PLAYER.....but IF HE GETS BEAT OUT it won't hurt my feelings. Either way we get better....which is what I want. One of the things that has to happen for this team to take the next step is for the guys we have to improve (which Hill absolutely needs to do) or guys come in and beat them out (which you want guys coming in to push the guys we have). My worthless 2 cents

Plus alot.

The point is you have to get guys who can compete in the second best league in basketball if not the best. You need athletes. Especially when OU goes SEC which is an all athlete league.

With this portal it’s a trickle down effect. From OU’s perspective, they are competing for the mid and low major guys that can play a level up. You can get fooled by fake stats. Groves was an example of that. Though Groves is a pretty good offensive player, there were times when he couldn’t be played down the stretch. Same thing with Chagrois who wasn’t good enough. Now we are targeting players who are below both of them.

This is because Moser is a system coach. A skilled passing and shooting big man at the high major level is pretty much a pro. OU isn’t going to get those guys. When you get a poor man’s version of those guys, you’re going to get exposed. This is the route Moser is taking in recruiting. If you Get this UMKC kid, you better balance him out with a shot blocking, rebounding, rim finishing type player and see which one pans out.

Have you watched the kids highlights? He looks pretty athletic for a 6'8" guy....he isn't a stiff...he runs the floor well, jumps well and he can shoot the three pretty well. All things we need. Just because someone plays in a smaller conference doesn't mean he cannot be a contributor in our conference. If we can find a better kid I am all for it. I was hoping we got Marble but we didn't......There are some bigs I'd like to see.....Of the St Bonny kids I would like the big the most. There are several bigs in the portal I'd take. I'll trust the staff to find what they need. I was just making the point that this kid has some skill we could use.

Do you think Groves can get beat out? Because truth of the matter is Hill is a lot better than Groves. I would honestly like to see Hill play a little small ball 5 this year.

So you want a 6'6" 218 pound center playing in the Big 12? really?

That is going to make us take the next step? We were murdered on the boards as it is......I will humbly disagree with your take on this. Not attacking you...I just don't agree that Hill can make us successful that way.....and I don't think he is better than Groves...Groves is a WAY better shooter for sure. They are different types of players...at different positions....kind of apples/oranges but they both need to be pushed for us to improve.

the sec will be a much easier league to play basketball in ..

What are you smoking? OU will be playing Arkansas, an LSU that will recover, Texas, Tennesee, Kentucky A&M, and probably one of the Mississippi schools in inter conference play. Not to count the few conference games on the other side.

All of those programs recruit high level athletes. We will be have the Groves boys etc covering them?

What are you smoking? OU will be playing Arkansas, an LSU that will recover, Texas, Tennesee, Kentucky A&M, and probably one of the Mississippi schools in inter conference play. Not to count the few conference games on the other side.

All of those programs recruit high level athletes. We will be have the Groves boys etc covering them?

lol OU has been playing in the best league in the country ..

the SEC is not the second best league .. and often is the 4th or 5th best league

I said "currently" our best player. Who on our roster is a better all around player than Hill? If we end up with Hill as our best player by the time the roster is constructed, we'll be last in the league because scoring will be a major challenge...

but right now, he's the best there is.

From a pure statistical standpoint he average .1 more rebounds than Groves, shot .4% better from 2....but .18% worse from3......average .1 less TO's and a half steal per game more than Groves. They are very similar from those. He is definitely more athletic although I feel like he is playing out of position. He is undersized and gets pushed around trying to rebound in the Big 12.

there are no divisions in the SEC basketball

OU will likely play all 15 teams once ... and then texas arkansas and missouri (or tamu) an extra time ..

Last edited:
who also shot 67% from 2 and had a TS% of .641 and was overwelmingly positive in BPM and WS and is a great defender ..

o and got much better then he was the year prior ... (which i would bet a lot he does again)

and best +/- on the team.

I don't dislike Hill....read my posts. I just think we need guys who push the ones we have for time on the floor...exactly how you build better teams.

We need better players period. We got people clamoring for a role player that at best is okay-solid over a player that is taller, a better shooter, and could argue better rebounder.

lol OU has been playing in the best league in the country ..

the SEC is not the second best league .. and often is the 4th or 5th best league

I think it varies year to year, but I'd say the Big 10 and SEC are in the running for second best. They are both clearly better than the PAC 12, and the ACC has a lot of room to make up after last season. The SEC seems to be trending up, and from a pure athleticism standpoint, takes a backseat to no one. There are some bad teams at the bottom, but we will be competing against a lot of elite athletes and future pros.

I think Hill is okay, but he's not some can't miss guy that can't be played over. Hell, half the roster can be played over with better players.

I think it varies year to year, but I'd say the Big 10 and SEC are in the running for second best. They are both clearly better than the PAC 12, and the ACC has a lot of room to make up after last season. The SEC seems to be trending up, and from a pure athleticism standpoint, takes a backseat to no one. There are some bad teams at the bottom, but we will be competing against a lot of elite athletes and future pros.

Didn't the ACC have the most teams of any Conference in the Sweet 16? I could be wrong, but I think so.

We need better players period. We got people clamoring for a role player that at best is okay-solid over a player that is taller, a better shooter, and could argue better rebounder.

No, we have people recognizing that level of competition matters. I mean, my best friend in high school averaged more per game than Hill did last season, and shot a higher percentage from 3. I guess that means he is better, even though he did it against high school kids. Again, lots of people on this board were/are disappointed in Tanner because they apparently thought the numbers he put up as the best player in a bad league would carry over to the Big 12. Tanner was a more coveted player than this guy, yet here you are putting stock in stats with no context.

No, we have people recognizing that level of competition matters. I mean, my best friend in high school averaged more per game than Hill did last season, and shot a higher percentage from 3. I guess that means he is better, even though he did it against high school kids. Again, lots of people on this board were/are disappointed in Tanner because they apparently thought the numbers he put up as the best player in a bad league would carry over to the Big 12. Tanner was a more coveted player than this guy, yet here you are putting stock in stats with no context.

I mean, Alondis Williams sucked because the Big 12 was so difficult? Is that what you're telling me? Manek was average in the Big 12, but torched everyone else in the Tournament because the Big 12 is so hard? I mean, if that's what you're saying. Goodness. That's a reach.

The context is he has some skills that translate....he POTENTIALLY could end up being better. At worst he is a skilled 6'8" guy that could give us good bench minutes......at best he beats out Hill and Hill is out best guy off the bench.

Why does that hurt your feelings so much? You are pretty aggressive about a guy who is good but not exactly elite. We all want the same thing......for OU basketball to improve.

The context is he has some skills that translate....he POTENTIALLY could end up being better. At worst he is a skilled 6'8" guy that could give us good bench minutes......at best he beats out Hill and Hill is out best guy off the bench.

Why does that hurt your feelings so much? You are pretty aggressive about a guy who is good but not exactly elite. We all want the same thing......for OU basketball to improve.

You're seeing it, my good sir. You're seeing it.

I want this team to consistently make the Tournament, and certain players I know can be played over by better players. They think that's negativity. I just don't know man. Harkless had a ton of crapped talked about him, and that was fine. But don't talk about Jalen Hill and his explosive okayness that he shows on the court. :ez-laugh:

Back