Waverly Austin visiting OU officially on Sept. 1

When recruits visit campus, and get on the court with some current players, is it almost like a try-out or audition for the recruit?

I know there are some instances where it is obvious that the guy is a gamer, but sometimes, do the coaches tell their players, "find out if the guy can really play" ?

found this on an article written back in May, apparently OU, Texas, and South Florida (originally signed with out of high school) are his early favorites. Austin averaged 18 points, 10 rebounds and 3 blocks per game this year while shooting 59 percent from the field and 82 percent from the free throw line. He wants to play in an up tempo offense

82% from the FT? Wow, sign this dude up immediately!

Depending on whom we sign this year, minutes are going to be HARD to come by in 2012-2013.

Guards:
Blair, Grooms, Pledger, Newell, Cam, Neal, and maybe Clarke

Osby, Fitz, M'Baye, Arent, and maybe a guy like Austin?

That is a TON of post depth. I'd still like to see us grab a stud guard, or upgrade the guards in general, but that is most certainly an NCAA team.

Depending on whom we sign this year, minutes are going to be HARD to come by in 2012-2013.

Guards:

That is a TON of post depth. I'd still like to see us grab a stud guard, or upgrade the guards in general, but that is most certainly an NCAA team.

What little video I could dig up would lead one to think that Austin is a better prospect than Arent. Mayby a high seed.

Guards:

I think we need 5 forwards, at least. Osby could easily move over to SF with his skillset, IMO, too. M'Baye is another guy with great versatility. If we do not add another big guy, I could see us getting beat up on the boards again.

Also, I think one of the above guards is going to transfer before the 2012-13 season. We will most definitely be adding another guard next season. Hopefully J-Mychel Reese, but it looks like Texas A&M may have taken a huge lead by hiring his dad..a page out of KU's book.

I think we need 5 forwards, at least. Osby could easily move over to SF with his skillset, IMO, too. M'Baye is another guy with great versatility. If we do not add another big guy, I could see us getting beat up on the boards again.

Also, I think one of the above guards is going to transfer before the 2012-13 season. We will most definitely be adding another guard next season. Hopefully J-Mychel Reese, but it looks like Texas A&M may have taken a huge lead by hiring his dad..a page out of KU's book.

I agree that if the post depth is as good as advertised, you could see Osby/M'Baye playing the 3. The only downside to that is it also move Cam over to the 2. I don't like Cam at the 2. So it's kind of a catch 22. It's a good problem to have though.

Good point, WT.

Cam is better suited for the 3 right now.

I kind of like the idea of having three guys on the floor who are legit 3s who big enough to equally play the "4" position. Then balancing them with two guys who are legit 1s who can score. A very athletic team that could be scary good on offense.

Keep a "5" on hand when you really have to bang, but guys in college who are true tweeners, a 3/4, can be nightmares to defend against.

A little more info (sounds like Kruger might really want this guy):

Source Link

Waverly Austin, one of the most sought after 2012 JC post players, has confirmed that he has set up an official visit with Oklahoma. He will be on campus September 2-4. Austin averaged 18 points and 10 rebounds per night as a freshman at Palm Beach State last season. Lon Kruger and the Sooners’ staff have been aggressively recruiting the 6-11 power forward since taking the reigns in Norman.

They might be pushing hard for a JUCO to help balance out the classes. That would give them another guy graduating after the 2013-2014 season ends.

I think that they are pushing for a guy that looks like he could come in and help win games right away.

Those two thoughts don't have to be mutually exclusive.

I kind of like the idea of having three guys on the floor who are legit 3s who big enough to equally play the "4" position. Then balancing them with two guys who are legit 1s who can score. A very athletic team that could be scary good on offense.

Keep a "5" on hand when you really have to bang, but guys in college who are true tweeners, a 3/4, can be nightmares to defend against.

I like that idea to an extent. I have coached for 17 years and I have always tried to put one solid, true post on the floor and 2 guys that are probably more like threes. . .I look for a 'long' three that can shoot outside to be my 4. Over the years I have had my 4 hit 80, 54, 44 and 43 threes and 3-4 others who have hovered close to 40. We try to use it to spread the floor a little more. . . That being said I have usually coached teams that were a little smaller so we tried to get out and run and spread the floor in half court sets.

I like that idea to an extent. I have coached for 17 years and I have always tried to put one solid, true post on the floor and 2 guys that are probably more like threes. . .I look for a 'long' three that can shoot outside to be my 4. Over the years I have had my 4 hit 80, 54, 44 and 43 threes and 3-4 others who have hovered close to 40. We try to use it to spread the floor a little more. . . That being said I have usually coached teams that were a little smaller so we tried to get out and run and spread the floor in half court sets.

That is what I've been trying to say. I just couldn't explain it like a coach. I really think that is what Kruger wants to do. Sometimes he just hasn't had the players to do it. Like last season when he made it to the tourney with 3 short guys and two forwards. Illinois, a longer more athletic team, just took them apart.

That is what I've been trying to say. I just couldn't explain it like a coach. I really think that is what Kruger wants to do. Sometimes he just hasn't had the players to do it. Like last season when he made it to the tourney with 3 short guys and two forwards. Illinois, a longer more athletic team, just took them apart.

I don't think NCS's explanation really supports the lineups you've been projecting. Or maybe it does, but my problem with your lineups has NOTHING to do with who plays the 4, as much as who plays the 3, and in OU's current case, gets pushed to the 2 (Cam).

There are a lot of ways to put together a team/offense. I'd say the "in" thing right now is 3 guards, a 4 that is probably undersized, but can stretch the court some, and a true post/center-type to round things out.

OU has a lot of those 3/4 tweeners. Osby. M'Bathe. Neal to some degree. And we're probably recruiting others. Gonna be interesting to see where guys get their minutes.

Well, I think what I've been saying is that I believe that Krueger wants a true post. He didn't have one so he signed Arent. I think that he will slide Fitz to the 4. I think that Fitz has a chance to be a decent player in that spot because he will be matching up with people more his size. Then what do you do with Osby? He is probably the best player. The 3? I think he would do just fine. Now Cam. He is a better athlete and defender than Pledger. The 2?. I think he will do just fine. That's it. That aren't that many directions to go if one starts with the premise that Kruger likes the idea of a true post.

Back