Waverly Austin visiting OU officially on Sept. 1

Well, I think what I've been saying is that I believe that Krueger wants a true post. He didn't have one so he signed Arent. I think that he will slide Fitz to the 4. I think that Fitz has a chance to be a decent player in that spot because he will be matching up with people more his size. Then what do you do with Osby? He is probably the best player. The 3? I think he would do just fine. Now Cam. He is a better athlete and defender than Pledger. The 2?. I think he will do just fine. That's it. That aren't that many directions to go if one starts with the premise that Kruger likes the idea of a true post.

Guess it depends on what you consider a true post. Just b/c Arent is big, that doesn't make him a) a true post, or b) a better starting option over a smaller player.

Fitz is a true post. He is a true, old-school PF in the mold of Bookout. There is no rule that if Fitz and Osby start inside, Fitz has to guard the other 5. Maybe Osby matches up better? Maybe we go zone if we're REALLY worried about the other team's 5. Maybe we let Fitz guard him, LK improves Fitz's defense, and maybe we use a double-team.

I just don't like the idea of playing so many guys out of position. If that means Arent (or even Fitz) comes off the bench, I like that idea better than the idea of playing a big lineup. Nobody is going big right now, they are going small. Small doesn't mean height, it means athletic ability/quickness. If we could stick a 6'6 guy at SG and he has that skill set.....fine, that is a great advantage to have. But sticking a guy like Cam at the 2, when most people think he is a true 3 that is closer to being an undersized 4, then a Big 12 caliber SG, that I'm not okay with.

I do think going forward you'll see fewer guys like Fitz being recruited by LK. That I agree with. I think he wants posts with more size, OR the ability to play the 4 and step outside. That isn't really something Fitz can do.

WT, you may be right. M'buy is exactly the type of player that you describing. Arent probably is not that type player. He is not an inside outside guy. He is an inside guy. And I'm sure Kruger knows that. But, the fact remains that Kruger recruited and signed Arent anyway. So I'm thinking. Mayby Kruger wants a guy to do the things that Fitz proved he can not do. Guard the other teams big and rebound. That is it. We will all know in a 100 days or so.

What I am most curious about is where M'Bathe fits in once he is able to play.

Back