2019 NCAA Coaching Carousel Thread

UCLA should hire Chris beard. Pay him whatever he wants.

He was GS' top assistant and went 39-4 when he took over in Kerr's absence. He's had some unfortunate circumstances in LA that have kept him from truly being able to show how good of a coach he is (or isn't). He'd recruit well at UCLA, and I think they'd have very good teams. Coach can laugh all he wants at Luke while praising Lon at every turn, but guess who has the better NBA record?

He played for Lute Olson, Rudy Tomjanovich, and Phil Jackson. He's the son of Bill Walton. He's played with Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol. He's coached under Kerr and Pastner. He's spent over a decade in LA with the Lakers. He has practically been raised for this job. I'm not saying he's the best/safest hire they could possibly make, but he makes a lot of sense.

I know who he is and what he's done. I just dont see how that means he'll be a top notch college coach.

I know who he is and what he's done. I just dont see how that means he'll be a top notch college coach.

FACTS! Coolm and every other person on this board could coach the warriors to 39-4.

Not sure UCLA is going to be able to hire somebody that can't deal with being in LA. I never could picture Kelvin in that setting. Plenty of other suggested hires that I feel the same about. They need to find somebody that fits. I'm not sure who that is, but I have some ideas on who it isn't.

Agree. Has to be some one with a lot of LA in them.

FACTS! Coolm and every other person on this board could coach the warriors to 39-4.

Yes, of course! Any one of us could take over the Warriors and lead them to the greatest start in NBA history. Nevermind the fact that Steve Kerr, a guy that has won NBA Coach of the Year, has never been able to replicate it, even after adding Kevin Durant. And I'm sure this team is so unbeatable that they probably just swept the playoffs, right? Or wait...was that the year that they needed some questionable officiating to beat the Thunder in the WCF, and then lost to the Cavs in the Finals? I'm sure if you were their coach they would have won the championship.

Arkansas is looking at Musselman from Nevada. He would be a heck of a hire. He can recruit 5-stars to Nevada. He would be able to recruit them to Arkansas.

Arkansas is looking at Musselman from Nevada. He would be a heck of a hire. He can recruit 5-stars to Nevada. He would be able to recruit them to Arkansas.

He's gotten 1 5* recruit that I can see. I went back to the 2015 class or so, and every other recruit he's gotten has been 3* or lower. Not hard to get lucky with a big west coast recruit, given the client of west coast basketball right now. MUCH more competition for kids in the midwest.

I don't know what the recruiting rankings for the twins were, but he didn't recruit them out of HS, they transferred. I was actually pretty unimpressed with what he did with the talent he had on his roster the last couple of years. Especially this year. That team looked like they hadn't been coached at all. Total free for all on offense, and little defense at times.

Not saying it'd be a bad hire for Arky, but I woudn't come away expecting big things from them any time soon.

Oh, and his current class for next year is ranked 140th. I'd think they would need a few bodies, as I know of at least 3 seniors, so it's not a body count issue.

Nevada has lived off the transfer market. According to Verbal Commits, Nevada had 6 D-1 inbound transfers in 2017; and 4 more D-1 inbound transfers in 2018. Ten (10) inbound Division-1 transfers in the last two years. That is rather amazing.

I guess Reno has an appeal that is hard to match, at least to some players.

Last edited:
Thought perhaps Dan Majerus at Grand Canyon might get a look for a bigger job.
Is Steve Henson got a shot at moving up?
And Danny Manning still has a job at Wake,his buyout must be awful for him to still be there. *Maybe Danny can find a top 5 Star and give the kid's Dad a job as an assistant.

Musselman to AR is done.

Rumors of Rick Barnes to UCLA.

Musselman to AR is done.

Rumors of Rick Barnes to UCLA.

An LA times reporter is reporting Lon interviewed for the job. He thinks Barnes is their first choice though. I would be ecstatic if we could get rid of lon without having to insult him by firing him.

An LA times reporter is reporting Lon interviewed for the job. He thinks Barnes is their first choice though. I would be ecstatic if we could get rid of lon without having to insult him by firing him.

My thoughts exactly.

Lon Kruger to UCLA... Mike Anderson to OU.

I would be ecstatic.

"fastest 40 minutes" comes to Norman... return of an actual recognizable system. He would do really well in Norman.

Interesting.

If Lon did leave, offer Chris beard whatever he wants. Make him say no.

Steve Alford goes to Nevada (Reno). Ought to be interesting when they go to the Pit for the first time.

Back