2019 NCAA Coaching Carousel Thread

SoonerTraveler

Reaction score
Suggestion: Post news and comments on coaching changes here.

Texas A&M: Billy Kennedy Fired
https://www.theeagle.com/news/local...cle_0ca282a6-476e-11e9-9d6f-87d79fbf7dd5.html

The 55-year-old Kennedy coached the Aggies for eight seasons, going 151-116. He made the NCAA tournament in 2016 and ’18, reaching the Sweet 16 both times. That matched the program’s previous number of Sweet 16 seasons since 1980, when the tournament went to 48 teams.

Kennedy’s tenure ended with a 80-54 loss to Mississippi State in the second round of the Southeastern Conference tournament Thursday. The Aggies opened the tournament by beating Vanderbilt 69-52 on Wednesday. A&M was 14-18 this season, including a 6-12 league record for 11th place. His SEC record was 62-64, with only two winning years *— 11-7 in 2015 to tie for third and 13-5 the following year to tie Kentucky for the league title.

Kennedy’s annual salary was $2.4 million and ran through 2021. He has a $3.5 million buyout.

A candidate mentioned as a possible replacement is Texas native and Virginia Tech head coach Buzz Williams, who was an A&M assistant under Billy Gillispie from 2004 to 2006. Virginia Tech is expected to make its third straight NCAA tournament after going only once in the 18 years before Williams arrived.

Tulane: Mike Dunleavy Sr. Fired
http://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa...h-mike-dunleavy-sr/16c88itd3jwym1ncdtibrp3kod

... But Dunleavy's three seasons at the Tulane helm certainly didn't go as he or (athletic director) Dannen expected. The Green Wave finished 6-25 in his first season, improved to 14-17 last year, but stumbled badly this year. Dunleavy finishes with a 24-69 mark at Tulane.

Dunleavy, who had three years remaining on his contract, played 14 seasons in the NBA and had a 613-716 record in 17 seasons as an NBA coach for the Bucks, Lakers, Trail Blazers and Clippers. He won NBA coach of the year honors with Portland in 1999.

The next coach will take over a program that hasn’t played an NCAA Tournament game since 1992.

UNLV: Marvin Menzies Fired

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sport...fired-as-unlv-basketball-coach-video-1619137/

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv/unlv-basketball/whos-next-at-unlv-1619489/

These coaches could be considered for the UNLV men’s basketball job:

Nathan Davis, Bucknell — Made the NCAA Tournament the past two seasons. Won Patriot League Coach of the Year in back-to-back seasons.

Fred Hoiberg — Went 115-56 in five seasons at Iowa State before taking over the Chicago Bulls, who fired him in December. Is the leading candidate at Nebraska.

Frank Martin — The South Carolina coach long has been enamored with UNLV and Las Vegas. He participates in Coaches vs. Cancer events in Las Vegas every year.

Thad Matta — Took Ohio State to two Final Fours and five Big Ten Conference championships in 13 years.

Tim Miles — Job is on the line at Nebraska. Coached in the Mountain West at Colorado State, leading the Rams to the 2012 NCAA Tournament.

Wes Miller, UNC Greensboro — Led Greensboro last season to its first NCAA Tournament since 2001, and at 28-6 this season is a bubble team.

Mike Rhoades, Virginia Commonwealth — Named Atlantic 10 Conference Coach of the Year and is 25-7.

Shaka Smart — Questions about his job status at Texas have been raised, but a story in the Austin American-Statesman said he will return for a fifth season. If he doesn’t, Smart is owed a $12.9 million buyout. He took Virginia Commonwealth to five NCAA Tournaments, including the 2011 Final Four.

Craig Smith, Utah State — Mountain West Coach of the Year after taking a team picked ninth to a share of the regular-season conference championship.

Maybe Lon wants to go back to Vegas? ;)

A lot of OU fans wanted Buzz at OU when we hired Lon. Wonder how that would have turned out? He reminds me a lot of Kelvin. Maybe a slightly lower ceiling than Kruger (MAYBE), but you are going to get a tougher, more consistent program.

Maybe Lon wants to go back to Vegas? ;)

A lot of OU fans wanted Buzz at OU when we hired Lon. Wonder how that would have turned out? He reminds me a lot of Kelvin. Maybe a slightly lower ceiling than Kruger (MAYBE), but you are going to get a tougher, more consistent program.

Yeah, I'm sure you would be pumped if Lon was on the verge of his third tournament appearance in five years, which is what old Buzz is about to pull off.

Yeah, I'm sure you would be pumped if Lon was on the verge of his third tournament appearance in five years, which is what old Buzz is about to pull off.

That's some silly statistic twisting. Virginia Tech has a terrible basketball program, and Buzz has the best winning percentage of any coach there in the past 30 years. He was building the program up his first two years, and is on the verge of taking a non-basketball school to their 3rd straight NCAA tournament.

Going to the NCAA Tournament 3 years in a row is nearly a miracle for a program that had gone to the NCAA Tournament twice since 1986 before he took over.

But I'm sure you already knew all this.

That's some silly statistic twisting. Virginia Tech has a terrible basketball program, and Buzz has the best winning percentage of any coach there in the past 30 years. He was building the program up his first two years, and is on the verge of taking a non-basketball school to their 3rd straight NCAA tournament.

Going to the NCAA Tournament 3 years in a row is nearly a miracle for a program that had gone to the NCAA Tournament twice since 1986 before he took over.

Yep. They had made the NCAA Tourney twice in the 28 years proceeding Buzz taking over as coach. And he is about to take them to their 3rd in a row, and 3rd in 5 years. lol

Dude is a solid/good coach.

I was one to have wanted Buzz but Lon might have been the best guy for OUs situation.

Yep. They had made the NCAA Tourney twice in the 28 years proceeding Buzz taking over as coach. And he is about to take them to their 3rd in a row, and 3rd in 5 years. lol

Dude is a solid/good coach.

He's a darn good coach, and I was really hoping Wichita would come back to defend his Buzz criticism. It's pretty tough to criticize the work Buzz has done.

He didn't. He just likes to *****

I was one to have wanted Buzz but Lon might have been the best guy for OUs situation.

I agree 100%. I loved Buzz (and still do) and wanted him to come to OU but considering the situation the school was in, Lon was probably the best choice. Obviously, I have no idea if Buzz would've even been interested at the time.

How is Danny Manning hanging on at Wake Forest? Does he have a big buy out.
I guess his Dad can get him a truck driving gig unless Larry Brown comes back into coaching and he could hire the Manning family again.

Frank Martin looks the part for unlv...lol.

Old mafia gangsta type..

I was at a coaching conf years ago there...KS was there...so was Huggins..saw him and the his wife at the pool....lol. They def looked the gangsta style..his gold chains and I'm ALMOST sure his wife had on high heels at the pool. At the time she was pretty decent looking that I REMEMBER. (like 2000)

How is Danny Manning hanging on at Wake Forest? Does he have a big buy out.
I guess his Dad can get him a truck driving gig unless Larry Brown comes back into coaching and he could hire the Manning family again.

That’d be a pretty nifty trick, what with his dad having passed away 8 years ago & all.

Bryce Drew out at Vanderbilt

I think he fits the bill of a young, personable coach who was viewed as a potential star based on his success at a mid major school. Another reminder that those things don't always work out. So many people assume that if a guy wins at a place like that, they'll be great at a place where they can recruit better talent. Not always true.

Back