#7 OU @ KSU 8pm CST on ESPN2

I got no clue... is that a yes? PM me..

It is a doc Holliday reference from tombstone heh. If you are saying ou won’t make it out of the first round, then I will take the other side of that bet for any amount you want.

Dropped from Lunardi's #9 overall seed to #12, so still on the 3 line. Plenty of chances to make up for tonight down the stretch.

Well, I honestly see us splitting with osu. Then we have the horns in Norman. We’d need that win... IMHO.

It is a doc Holliday reference from tombstone heh. If you are saying ou won’t make it out of the first round, then I will take the other side of that bet for any amount you want.

I said 1 maybe 2. I’ll take 2 drop 3 for $50

My point being we are not a FF team... not even top 10. Too inconsistent and no post scoring.

Invite = top 64
Rnd 1 win = top 32
Rnd 2 win = top 16

That’s the best I see us. Which isn’t bad.

Let me know through PM.

Been playing with fire for a few games now. Hopefully this is a reality check. These guys aren't good enough to just coast to easy wins. Gotta get that underdog mentality back.

I was thinking the same thing. This team has blown late leads in 4 straight games. Tonight was a sh!tshow for several reasons....but I can't say that I am surprised. This loss really stings because a 2-seed was in our grasp, but is totally out of the question now. This was a horrific loss from a NET perspective. Every decent team has gone up to Manhattan and beat the hell out of KSU....but us...nope. And if we continue our routine over the last several games of not finishing off opponents, then it will be an unfortunate early exit from the tournament.

This awful loss is still fresh, so I just can't find much to be optimistic about right now.

Last edited:
Dropped from Lunardi's #9 overall seed to #12, so still on the 3 line. Plenty of chances to make up for tonight down the stretch.

Don’t worry too much about one of the least accurate bracketologists. This was a damaging loss and certainly dropped us to a three, but we were almost certainly a two before tonight. But with so many games left to play, this will all change a million times anyway.

But with so many games left to play, this will all change a million times anyway.

And that is why trying to figure out seeding, region, brackets, etc is time not well spent, and tonight's debacle just reinforces this observation.

I said 1 maybe 2. I’ll take 2 drop 3 for $50

My point being we are not a FF team... not even top 10. Too inconsistent and no post scoring.

Invite = top 64
Rnd 1 win = top 32
Rnd 2 win = top 16

That’s the best I see us. Which isn’t bad.

Let me know through PM.

Would agree... except I don’t see a round 2 win.

And that is why trying to figure out seeding, region, brackets, etc is time not well spent, and tonight's debacle just reinforces this observation.

I think it’s worth keeping an eye in general on seed lines and pay attention to teams with similar profiles, but fully agree there is no point in looking at specific opponents or any of that. Not even the best bracketologists can project that. But following seed projections is helpful IMHO because so many fans don’t pay much attention to other games around the country.

Legit this team could lose 3 out of last 4 possibly then drop overall and in Big 12 standings.. Should have been a 2/3 at worst now we could be the 6-7 seed in big 12 tourney. Gotta win 2 I say to finish out and win 1 for sure in big 12 tourney to be a overall 3/4 seed in NCAA tourney.

Why do so many people here hate Reaves? He’s the only player on this team who can create ANY offense.

This game was peak Lon Kruger. It shouldn’t be surprising at all to anybody who has paid any bit of attention for the last decade. Lon CANNOT beat this garbage K-State program, no matter how good we are or how bad they are. It is always the same. There is quite clearly something mental with him coaching against his alma mater and it is frustrating as hell. Not to mention the fact that he just lets opponents go on 11-0 runs with 3 minutes left when we have THREE TIME OUTS and he won’t call one.

Reaves is very much like Russell Westbrook (in terms of his mentality). He is super confident, tough, and he has some serious stones. If your team is struggling and everyone is deer in headlights (as often happens with our offense) Reaves is a guy that can save you. He’s not afraid to take risks or big shots. But like many risk takers, it doesn’t always work out and you live with the results. And when it fails, it often looks stupid or selfish— and sometimes it is, but that’s what you live with to get the good stuff.

Last night, I would have called a TO there. Down by three and we did not have any sort of open court situation. It’s really hard in that situation to just run your offense and get a good look from deep-/ the defense is obviously playing for that. So you usually wind up with a ball handler trying to get himself loose. It wasn’t a good look at all. He did get fouled, but that’s not a call you are always going to get. I think a TO there and at least an attempt to run something specific is the better move. So I put the final play more on Lon than Reaves. If you have a player like Reaves, sometimes you have to coach to his strengths and weaknesses. I think 95% of OU would have told you Reaves was going to take a pull up three there. If that’s what Lon wanted, then fine. If it’s not, he should have called TO because he should have known it was coming.

Been playing with fire for a few games now. Hopefully this is a reality check. These guys aren't good enough to just coast to easy wins. Gotta get that underdog mentality back.

This post clearly states how and why we lost last night. I have nothing more to add, except that was not the OU team we saw in wins over four members of the top ten in January. That was a return to one on one offense and a defense that seemed to forget how OU went from obscurity to nationally ranked in a little more than two weeks.

MrAnderson has it right: Gotta get that underdog mentality back!

Shouldn’t Iowa State have been the reality check?

Anderson is right. Very simply, the kids coasted on this one and lost. KSU got to every loose ball, got inside position in the paint on both ends, and besides overhelping on the perimeter, OU was always late to shooters.

Oh well, I like this team and enjoy watching them. Like most games (the game of basketball is designed for this to be the case), the game came down to a few possessions going one way or the other. If they call the blatant foul on Austin's last 3 (plainly hit on the elbow), we might have won in overtime.

I heard lon once say that if, during the year, you have 10 games come down to whether 1 or 3 shots fall, you are not a better or worse coach because more of those didn't go your way as opposed to more of them going your way.

Generally, this team plays unselfishly and hard. This is a sign of good coaching. This isn't going to be the case in every game. Clunkers will occur.

Real question with this team, is "what in the hell has happened to Manek this year?".

Shouldn’t Iowa State have been the reality check?
That was my hope. Blowing a 20-point lead to a team with zip for conference victories "should" have led to a more inspiring effort in Manhattan.

Alas.

For a quick reference, here is a list of the teams vanquished by the mighty Kansas State Wildcats in the 2020-21 season:

Missouri-Kansas City
Milwaukee
Iowa State
Jacksonville (Artis Gilmore was out due to contact tracing).
Omaha
Texas Christian
Oklahoma

What heady company. I am so gutted today.

Real question with this team, is "what in the hell has happened to Manek this year?".

Who knows, but perhaps he does not like sharing the limelight with the rest of the players who have asserted themselves and are now garnering most of the attention. Seems like the role Reaves finds himself in is different from last year, but he seems to have handled the transition fine.

Finally got a chance to watch the game on DVR and hoo-boy that was bad. We really didn't play worse than we did against Texas or the second half against ISU though. As someone else said upthread, it finally caught up with us.

For a quick reference, here is a list of the teams vanquished by the mighty Kansas State Wildcats in the 2020-21 season:

Missouri-Kansas City
Milwaukee
Iowa State
Jacksonville (Artis Gilmore was out due to contact tracing).
Omaha
Texas Christian
Oklahoma

What heady company. I am so gutted today.

Love the Artis Gilmore reference!!!

I do believe KSU is a lot better at this point in the season but that is still no excuse. We didn’t handle their physical bumping well at all and never do.

Where I really got concerned though is when Manek kept missing badly on wide open attempts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back