Big 12 North vs. Big 12 South

thebigabd

Reaction score
Grace and I plan to keep tabs on who proves to be the better division this year. I will continue to update this thread throughout the conference year as games get played, and the most updated tally will always be edited here on this top post. I will just bump it as it falls off the front page.

We will see who has the better record, who wins the regular season, and who wins the conference championship. Whoever gets 2 of these 3 categories will win.

Updated Record: 0-0

Last edited:
Which division do you predict will win the head to head series this year, abd? Who won it last year?

I think the North has the best combined top two teams (Kansas and Kansas State), but I think the South has the better top-to-bottom 6 teams.

I know it is meaningless, but it will be interesting to see which division comes out on top. One thing is for sure in that the Big 12 has plenty of really solid teams.

Which division do you predict will win the head to head series this year, abd? Who won it last year?

I think the North has the best combined top two teams (Kansas and Kansas State), but I think the South has the better top-to-bottom 6 teams.

I know it is meaningless, but it will be interesting to see which division comes out on top. One thing is for sure in that the Big 12 has plenty of really solid teams.

This might be the most balanced year I can remember, in terms of North/South.

Both have one elite team (Kansas, Texas), two seemingly decent teams (Kansas State/Missouri, Baylor/Tech), and four mystery teams that may be good or bad, depending on the night.

What might tip the thing in the South's favor is that the team that is clearly the worst in the league is in the North (Colorado).

This might be the most balanced year I can remember, in terms of North/South.

Both have one elite team (Kansas, Texas), two seemingly decent teams (Kansas State/Missouri, Baylor/Tech), and four mystery teams that may be good or bad, depending on the night.

What might tip the thing in the South's favor is that the team that is clearly the worst in the league is in the North (Colorado).

Biased post. KSU is "seemingly decent"? They are 10th in the nation. The South has 1 ranked team.
If you're going to say Colorado is clearly the worst team I think at this point it's only fair to say KSU is clearly the 3rd best team.
The North is better because it's much tougher to win on the road in the North.

I am gonna go with the North this year.

Top to bottom, there are no easy games in the Big 12 this year. I remember in the past when Baylor, A&M, Tech at times, Nebraska at times, KSU at times, and Colorado were at times were considered gimmies.

ku-ksu-mu are definately better than ut-and whoever are the next 2 south teams. cu is probably the worst team in the league, but i don't think it's by an incredible margin. and i don't believe in tech at all.

i'd be very surprised if the north teams don't have a better overall record.

Isn't Tech ranked 22nd?

I guess they are in the AP poll. They aren't in the coaches.

LMAO. Guess what? We are all biased, and so are our posts. No need to point it out.

Not to the point of calling a top 10 team "seemingly decent".

The North is clearly better this year.

I guess they are in the AP poll. They aren't in the coaches.

Not to the point of calling a top 10 team "seemingly decent".

The North is clearly better this year.

No division is "clearly" better than the other.

I have to be honest.....

Who gives a ****?

People always give Kansas a hard time (myself included) for having the easiest division, and people often point to that when discrediting regular season championships.

With that being said, I don't even believe in the regular season championship. In basketball championships are decided by tournaments, so I never understood why the conference recognizes the team with the best record with t-shirts, trophies, etc. We don't reward the team with the best record at the end of the year with a regular season national championship, so why do we do it in conference?

People always give Kansas a hard time (myself included) for having the easiest division, and people often point to that when discrediting regular season championships.

With that being said, I don't even believe in the regular season championship. In basketball championships are decided by tournaments, so I never understood why the conference recognizes the team with the best record with t-shirts, trophies, etc. We don't reward the team with the best record at the end of the year with a regular season national championship, so why do we do it in conference?
Ahh, I see.

Yea I'm not much into regular season titles either. The automatic bid goes to the tourney winner for a reason. It's not just to get another team in, and it rarely works out that way. (if ever?) Sport's decide things with tournaments or playoffs, including NCAA football since 1998. Do the Dallas Cowboys really care that they won the NFC East if they lose to Philly today? Will the ruthless Dallas talk radio callers say "oh, well we won the division, it doesn't matter that we haven't won a playoff game since '96?"

Last edited:
Here are the current Pomeroy rankings and projections for the conference:
Code:
[B]		Current	Predicted								
Team  		Overall Conf  	Pomeroy Rank	AdjO  	Rank	AdjD  	Rank	AdjT  	Rank[/B]
Kansas 		14-0 	14-2	0.9888	1	120.9	2	81.9	3	71.0	71
Texas 		14-0 	13-3	0.9796	3	113.8	23	81.3	1	76.5	5
Missouri 	12-3 	11-5	0.958	9	111.8	32	85.2	9	74.3	13
Kansas St. 	13-1 	10-6	0.9465	12	116.3	12	90.6	38	73.2	30
Texas A&M 	11-3 	8-8	0.8995	37	110.2	47	91.1	44	68.9	153
Baylor 		12-1 	8-8	0.8854	45	109.6	56	91.8	49	66.7	249
Oklahoma St. 	12-2 	6-10	0.8398	64	106.6	87	92.3	55	68.1	189
Iowa St. 	10-4 	6-10	0.8338	67	107.5	71	93.5	68	70.0	105
Nebraska 	12-3 	6-10	0.8154	77	106.3	91	93.4	67	65.7	278
Texas Tech 	12-2 	6-10	0.8103	78	109.2	59	96.2	100	73.9	19
Oklahoma 	9-5 	5-11	0.7459	93	113.5	26	103.3	212	66.8	245
Colorado 	9-5 	3-13	0.6274	124	107.2	79	102.4	202	69.0	149

If this came true, the totals would be:
North 50-46
South 46-50

Ummm... we don't do that because there are like 300 teams, so there is no possible way that you could have a regular season long enough to come close for something like that to award a fair champion. Using a robust tournament to crown a champion is the only fair way to do it.

OTOH, in the conference, everybody plays everybody else... even if the intra-division games are unbalanced in terms of home/away, you actually do get a chance to play every other team in the conference at least once.

That's why it's much more meaningful to be the regular season champion... it's a testament to your play against every other team in the conference over two-plus months... not if you can get hot and win three games over a weekend where you might not even end up playing the other best teams in the conference because of upsets.

Oh... and from Cheno earlier in the thread.... yes K-State is only "seemingly decent"... there's no way they were a top 10 team, and we saw that yesterday.

They are a good, solid top 25-type team... no more.

Oh... and from Cheno earlier in the thread.... yes K-State is only "seemingly decent"... there's no way they were a top 10 team, and we saw that yesterday.

That or Mizzou is as good as they are. If two teams are evenly matched, losing by 6 away is no great sin.

I think Mizzou and K St. may both be borderline top 10 teams. Probably top 15 teams.

Top 25 isn't even seemingly decent. And going into Mizzou and barely losing proves nothing. In case you don't know, Mizzou has the 2nd longest home winning streak in the nation behind KU. That says something about winning on the road in the North. Trying to win on the road in the North is no easy task.

Back