Big 12 Tournament Day 5 #1 Houston vs #7 ISU in the final

But what would be the rush? I mean....what's the difference between now and April 1st? And $4 million saved is $4 million saved. OSU isn't going anywhere and Boynton is also well liked by all available evidence. I'm sure they've already started a back-channel search and sent informal feelers out.
yep this is not like a big football job where you need a "head start" .. if it dropped on may 1st ..sure fire him now .. but april 1st is fine

If there is a donor that will pony up it'll happen sooner rather than later. Look at ATM with Fisher. They could have waited till after the season to fire Jimbo and saved money but instead fired him before the season ended. If they end up 1-12 or something like that they may fire him.
osu is not aTm and there is ZERO benefit to firing him before April 1. You can back channel communication before then and find your guy.

Same with OU vs. Ku for that matter. We hate them and want very badly to beat them. To me, that's a very different kind of rivalry. No OU coach is getting in serious hot water for struggling against KU (nor did Gundy ever really get in hot water for his longtime lack of success against OU since he was successful otherwise). But OU-Texas, tOSU-Michigan... those are rivalries that can get a coach fired.
I’d push back on this big time. Being successful against UT would help/hurt a little on the margin but it’s so low down the list compared to FB. Just think the OU MBB booster pressure would be so insignificant if a coach was consistently making the tournament/.500 conference record etc.

I’d push back on this big time. Being successful against UT would help/hurt a little on the margin but it’s so low down the list compared to FB. Just think the OU MBB booster pressure would be so insignificant if a coach was consistently making the tournament/.500 conference record etc.
I'm not saying OU-texas in football and in hoops are equivalent; nothing about OU football and basketball are equivalent. But OU fans still care very much about beating texas in hoops. It's not just another game, even in basketball, and I think that was evident on this board after last week's defeat. The loss was bad enough on its own terms, but the fact that it was at the hands of texas made it that much worse.

OU lost six in a row to texas twice, a record Moser is at risk of matching -- from 2010-2012 and from 2006-2008. All but three of those 12 losses were during Capel's tenure. He began his career at OU with five straight losses to UT. He then went 2-1 over the next three games before losing another four straight.

Of course, many factors contributed to Capel being shown the door, but going 2-10 against texas was one of those factors, there's no doubt in my mind. So it would behoove Coach Moser to figure out how to win against texas (I would include oswho, too, if Bedlam were not ending), and soon.

yep this is not like a big football job where you need a "head start" .. if it dropped on may 1st ..sure fire him now .. but april 1st is fine
season actually ends a week later than usual. waiting until april is perfect because they still have a shot at any coach who makes a run into the second weekend of the tourney.

I'm not saying OU-texas in football and in hoops are equivalent; nothing about OU football and basketball are equivalent. But OU fans still care very much about beating texas in hoops.

Of course, many factors contributed to Capel being shown the door, but going 2-10 against texas was one of those factors, there's no doubt in my mind. So it would behoove Coach Moser to figure out how to win against texas (I would include oswho, too, if Bedlam were not ending), and soon.
Yeah, I’m just going to have to disagree or say that Capel’s record against UT was a very very minor factor in Capel getting fired. His post-BG teams being bad & the compliance issues were the issues he got fired. If he went undefeated against UT and had comparable overall record/trajectory he would have been fired no doubt in my mind.

Sure sure our fanbase hates losing to UT but it would be very hard for me to see an OU MBB coach getting run out of town if they were consistently losing to UT/Ok State while making the tournament. To me it’s just goal alignment, it’s much harder in FB to hit OU’s goals without beating UT/Ok State than it is in basketball. Frustrating for fans yeah for sure but at most a very marginal factor IMO. Does it matter more than beating other teams? Certainly. But again IMO way down the list.

And the Sooner women beat #2 Baylor. It's just the second victory over a team ranked in the Top 2 in program history.

It was against kstate but point remains. Helluva win for the Sooners! Coach B is awesome!

I am scarred by too many visits to Allen to think that Houston will actually pull off the win Saturday, but I can't wait to see that game. Houston's defense is ridiculously good, but not quite as impenetrable on the road, and KU scores it well at home. They run such good offense that I expect them to fare better than other teams against Houston. A couple things worry me for Houston -- first, they are an awful FT shooting team. Second, their bigs are athletic and play very hard, but aren't the best finishers. And with the physical style Houston plays, it will be hard for them to stay out of foul trouble.

Houston only averages 8.5 turnovers, which is crazy good, especially in this conference. I hope they can maintain that Saturday, and make a few more shots than usual. Ideally, Cryer and/or Shead gets hot. But Self is just remarkable in these games -- I think he is 11-1 at home against top 5 teams. He also rarely, if ever, loses games that they desperately need to stay in the race. I won't be surprised if Houston makes this close, maybe even pulls the upset, but it also wouldn't stun me if KU plays their best game in months and wins comfortably. Self won't let them get bullied and completely destroyed on the glass. I could see Adams being a key to the game. I just would love to see Kelvin go in there and win for the first time.

It was against kstate but point remains. Helluva win for the Sooners! Coach B is awesome!
Thanks! I watched the game and so knew very well that it was KSU, but somehow my fingers thought otherwise. I appreciate the correction.

Same with OU vs. Ku for that matter. We hate them and want very badly to beat them. To me, that's a very different kind of rivalry. No OU coach is getting in serious hot water for struggling against KU (nor did Gundy ever really get in hot water for his longtime lack of success against OU since he was successful otherwise). But OU-Texas, tOSU-Michigan... those are rivalries that can get a coach fired.

No one is going to take the interim HC title.

Texas losing to TCU again. They are about to fall to what 6 or 7 losses in conference? Pokes getting beat by Kansas State. Both early

Texas is down 8 with only 8 points the first 8 minutes of this game.

But looking at their remaining schedule. They still have Houston, Kansas, Tech, Baylor on the road. Us and Iowa State at home. Assuming they win the other games and none of those are easy in this league they would need to go 3-3 or better to get 8 wins in conference in those 6 games.

Texas dominated most of the final 12 minutes or so of the half. 43-32 Texas at the break.

Kansas State is down 29-27 at halftime. They led 24-17 but went ice cold only scoring 3 points the last 8 minutes or so.

Back