Big 12 Tournament Day 5 #1 Houston vs #7 ISU in the final

Looking at OSU's remaining schedule

Kansas State this weekend is winnable. Maybe they split one with us because that's a rivalry game. UCF at home is probably their only other winnable game left. Every other game they play is a loss IMO. Boynton may be fired before the season ends.

Looking at OSU's remaining schedule

Kansas State this weekend is winnable. Maybe they split one with us because that's a rivalry game. UCF at home is probably their only other winnable game left. Every other game they play is a loss IMO. Boynton may be fired before the season ends.
Given our penchant for playing poorly against rivals (and having seen what a rough time they gave Baylor at GIA), I'm not counting my Bedlam chickens until those eggs are fully hatched.

Given our penchant for playing poorly against rivals (and having seen what a rough time they gave Baylor at GIA), I'm not counting my Bedlam chickens until those eggs are fully hatched.
True but they are not looking good to win more than 5 games the rest of the year. They are looking at 12 or 13 win range.

Not beating his school's top rivals can get an otherwise successful coach fired. Any coach who thinks that losses to rivals are no worse than losses to non-rivals is a coach who's at risk of being taught a hard lesson. Just ask Ryan Day, who is on the hot seat (from the fans' POV, anyway), despite having a top 10 football team year in and year out, because he's lost three in a row to Michigan. Moser is not yet a successful coach at OU--his situation might fairly be described as more precarious than Day's--and a 1-9 record against OU's top two rivals (I'll leave ku out of the equation) creates a different kind of pressure than losses to other conference teams. Whether he grasps this reality is an open question. That's why I wonder if Loyola-Chicago has any truly heated rivalries.
I think theres an obvious HUGE difference between football (10 or so total games, once a week and only once a year against rivals normally) versus basketball as to rivalries..

I think theres an obvious HUGE difference between football (10 or so total games, once a week and only once a year against rivals normally) versus basketball as to rivalries..
On the whole, OU fans care more about football, but you're actually making my point for me: When you have two (sometimes even three) games against your rival in a season and you lose them both/all, that's really bad. And when it's texas and you've lost five in a row in three years (three of those games at home with a road game still to go this season)... yikes.

Not to hijack your thought, but Baylor is a team I'm NOT sold on yet. They have lost three in a row (including to KSU) and have only one true road win (@OSU in OT). They have yet to play Houston, KU (twice), and Tech (twice)....and still have a road games left at TCU and BYU as well. That's a brutal finishing schedule.....more losses are coming for them.

On the whole, OU fans care more about football, but you're actually making my point for me: When you have two (sometimes even three) games against your rival in a season and you lose them both/all, that's really bad. And when it's texas and you've lost five in a row in three years (three of those games at home with a road game still to go this season)... yikes.
Nah i don't think i am missing your point bc its just not as important as football, which is king. I don't think you see many bball coaches fired bc they cant beat x team. But Day might get fired if he loses to Mich again next year despite having a really nice otherwise resume. I wish venables were as terrible as Day...

Even though it’s an 0-fer the UT record isn’t that disappointing to me (they were elite last season and good in 2022). Would be nice to win on road but not hopeful. Probably should have gotten 1 by now but so it goes.

Ok State is more disappointing because they’ve also been pretty mediocre during the Moser-era. A loss in Norman would be pretty catastrophic all things considered, but more so IMO because it’s easily OU’s most winnable game left on schedule than because they’re a rival.

Not to hijack your thought, but Baylor is a team I'm NOT sold on yet. They have lost three in a row (including to KSU) and have only one true road win (@OSU in OT). They have yet to play Houston, KU (twice), and Tech (twice)....and still have a road games left at TCU and BYU as well. That's a brutal finishing schedule.....more losses are coming for them.
I'm not saying they're a great team, but I they're probably as good as OU is and oswho will be even more energized against us than they were against Baylor. And we've yet to be at our best against oswho under Moser in five games. I'm not saying we can't or won't sweep them, but I wouldn't bet the rent on it

Even though it’s an 0-fer the UT record isn’t that disappointing to me (they were elite last season and good in 2022). Would be nice to win on road but not hopeful. Probably should have gotten 1 by now but so it goes.
In the decade before Moser arrived, OU was 10-10 against texas. In six of those games, OU was the higher ranked team and lost four times. In four of those games, texas was higher ranked and OU won three of those games.

They split 10 games over a decade with the underdog winning the majority of the games when one of them is ranked higher than the other. The four times in that decade that OU was ranked and texas was unranked (the opposite of last season), texas won.

That's a rivalry--10 wins each and the underdog regularly knocking off the favored team. So far under Moser, we're not holding up our end.

In the decade before Moser arrived, OU was 10-10 against texas. In six of those games, OU was the higher ranked team and lost four times. In four of those games, texas was higher ranked and OU won three of those games.

They split 10 games over a decade with the underdog winning the majority of the games when one of them is ranked higher than the other. The four times in that decade that OU was ranked and texas was unranked (the opposite of last season), texas won.

That's a rivalry--10 wins each and the underdog regularly knocking off the favored team. So far under Moser, we're not holding up our end.
Bigger sample size helps IMO. 2023 UT was pretty good and 2023 OU not so much, so 0-2 is what I’d expect. Win 1/2 in 2022 and definitely the home game this season. So yeah, it’s not great but don’t think it’s this awful mark personally. Especially relative to a 1-4 record against Ok State.

Bigger sample size helps IMO. 2023 UT was pretty good and 2023 OU not so much, so 0-2 is what I’d expect. Win 1/2 in 2022 and definitely the home game this season. So yeah, it’s not great but don’t think it’s this awful mark personally. Especially relative to a 1-4 record against Ok State.
But that's my point above: In this rivalry, in basketball as in football, records and rankings don't/shouldn't matter. I gave a 10-year sample size that supports my stance. The two teams split the 20 games over that span and the underdog beat the favorite (based on rankings--I don't know what the point spreads were) in many of those games.

They won’t fire boyton till April 1st.

Buyout drops to 6.1 instead of 10

So the buyout isn’t an issue now?

I’m sure non of the OSU guys on staff will touch an Interim HC title with a ten foot pole. Or if that’s already been offered they probably declined it……😉

That’s a terrible team. Just an overall lack of talent. Small will probably help himself and transfer up. I’d love to have Brandon Garrison. I can see him going to a Kansas or another top Big 12 team.

So the buyout isn’t an issue now?

I’m sure non of the OSU guys on staff will touch an Interim HC title with a ten foot pole. Or if that’s already been offered they probably declined it……😉

That’s a terrible team. Just an overall lack of talent. Small will probably help himself and transfer up. I’d love to have Brandon Garrison. I can see him going to a Kansas or another top Big 12 team.

6>10. Big difference.

He will finish the year.

Brandon’s brother goes to osu. Doubt he leaves but depends on the new guy.

But that's my point above: In this rivalry, in basketball as in football, records and rankings don't/shouldn't matter.
but that is not real ... look at OU / osu in football they think ou is the largest rival of all time .... and then look at the record .. same with Ksu and ku in basketball

6>10. Big difference.

He will finish the year.

Brandon’s brother goes to osu. Doubt he leaves but depends on the new guy.
If there is a donor that will pony up it'll happen sooner rather than later. Look at ATM with Fisher. They could have waited till after the season to fire Jimbo and saved money but instead fired him before the season ended. If they end up 1-12 or something like that they may fire him.

but that is not real ... look at OU / osu in football they think ou is the largest rival of all time .... and then look at the record .. same with Ksu and ku in basketball
Same with OU vs. Ku for that matter. We hate them and want very badly to beat them. To me, that's a very different kind of rivalry. No OU coach is getting in serious hot water for struggling against KU (nor did Gundy ever really get in hot water for his longtime lack of success against OU since he was successful otherwise). But OU-Texas, tOSU-Michigan... those are rivalries that can get a coach fired.

If there is a donor that will pony up it'll happen sooner rather than later. Look at ATM with Fisher. They could have waited till after the season to fire Jimbo and saved money but instead fired him before the season ended. If they end up 1-12 or something like that they may fire him.
But what would be the rush? I mean....what's the difference between now and April 1st? And $4 million saved is $4 million saved. OSU isn't going anywhere and Boynton is also well liked by all available evidence. I'm sure they've already started a back-channel search and sent informal feelers out.

Back