Big 12 Tournament permanently in Kansas City?

The Big 12 CCG needs to be held permanently in Arlington at Jerry's World. Arrowhead Stadium is a pit in December. The frozen field is atrocious. That kind of venue should not be allowed to host a championship game. On the other hand, The Big 12 basketball tournament should be held in KC every year. A DUMP like OKC is not worthy of holding the Big 12 basketball tournament.

If the basketball tournament is not going to be held in KC every year, then Tulsa would be the next best location. The BOK center is a first class facility compared to that cheap box they put up in OKC. If they have to throw OKC a crumb, they can hold the baseball tournament there. Arlington and KC will come out smelling like a rose when it's all said and down. It's going to happen so get used to it.

images
images
images

The Big XII has stated that they want to continue to hold the basketball tournaments where the men's and women's tournaments can be within walking distance of each other. Tulsa can't offer that. It would save me a lot of money in hotel bills for it to be in Tulsa, but I just can't see that happening.

Once the Ford Center renovations are complete, it will be equal to any other arena in the Big XII area with regard to amenities.

The Big XII has stated that they want to continue to hold the basketball tournaments where the men's and women's tournaments can be within walking distance of each other. Tulsa can't offer that. It would save me a lot of money in hotel bills for it to be in Tulsa, but I just can't see that happening.

Once the Ford Center renovations are complete, it will be equal to any other arena in the Big XII area with regard to amenities.

This is untrue. They are upgrading the Convention Center for this very reason. When it is done, you will have two facilities that are within a couple blocks of each other.

The Ford Center was a very basic facility when it was made. However, that is why it is currently getting an upgrade. At the beginning of the next NBA season, most of the interior (concourse, concessions, restrooms, restaurants, shops, etc) will have been greatly upgraded and some changes to the inner bowl (but probably not much of a change).

In the next coming year (or two) they will star work on improving the rest of the facility. Here is a website that shows what will be done.

The changes in your post will definitely help the Ford Center's appeal, but the Sprint Center (don't know who all has been) is a much nicer arena and the seating is already a great draw...something the Ford Center is going to have continuing problems with.

Also, OKC (Bricktown) as opposed to KC (Power & Light, which is literally across the street) is no contest.....OKC just has a boring set up compared to Kansas City's.

I do agree with Mrs.' statement about the dualing women's and men's tournaments. That is a huge draw.

This is untrue. They are upgrading the Convention Center for this very reason. When it is done, you will have two facilities that are within a couple blocks of each other.

bok-parking-map-2.jpg

Within less than 4 blocks. I would hope that is considered walking distance. We'll see how they do with the Conference USA Tournament.

bok-parking-map-2.jpg

Within less than 4 blocks. I would hope that is considered walking distance. We'll see how they do with the Conference USA Tournament.
I don't know downtown Tulsa is pretty dangerous and those 4 blocks could lead to some bad accidents.

I don't know downtown Tulsa is pretty dangerous and those 4 blocks could lead to some bad accidents.

Lol, they would have police out there for a special event. Its not like Downtown Tulsa is Detroit or something, lol.

It would be perfectly safe and 4 blocks is really close.

Isn't Prentiss Elliott still in Tulsa?
That makes it quite dangerous.

The plan is to have Elliott on an NFL practice squad before the Conference USA Tournament.

Lol, they would have police out there for a special event. Its not like Downtown Tulsa is Detroit or something, lol.

It would be perfectly safe and 4 blocks is really close.

Yeah... I'm no Tulsa hater, but if I'm honest I probably wouldn't walk those four blocks without some heat.:)

Wow. I go out in downtown Tulsa all the time and I walk in that area. It is not more dangerous than anywhere else. It's just all the suburban sprawlers south of 71st St. think that anything north of 51st is ghetto. Ridiculous.

Either some folks on this board are engaged in quite a bit of hyperbole or I'm braver than most of the men on this board! :woot

I really haven't followed the renovation of the Convention Center. What will it seat when the job is complete?

Football at Jerry World at least 2 out of 3 years.

As a person that lives in the KC area, I would love for the basketball tournament to be held at the Sprint Center every year. I have to say that OKC does deserve the basketball tournament every other year (leave Dallas out...boring). While I agree with most that the Sprint Center is a nicer arena, the Ford Center is not horrible. The person that stated that the Power and Light District is better than Bricktown must have had WAY too many of the $9 beers that they sell. There is NO CHANCE that the P&L is even close to as nice as Bricktown. I will go as far as to say that I don't know of 1 person that lives here that even goes down there (except for during the tournament).

:eek:ldwt356:

Why? Its a dome that keeps people out of 15-20 weather in the same area.

Because STL isn't a big Big 12 city. Because it isn't really convenient for any fans other than Mizzou, and maybe Kansas. Because the last time it was held there, it sucked, as an event.

Football is a cold weather sport. I'm not saying we should play bowl games in Michigan or anything, but having the Big 12 Championship game in KC every other year is FOOTBALL.

As much as I'd love for Tulsa to get the basketball tourney, I don't think we have the downtown "scene" for it just yet. We're working on it, but we aren't there yet. Maybe in another 5-7 years we can talk about it.

Yeah... I'm no Tulsa hater, but if I'm honest I probably wouldn't walk those four blocks without some heat.:)

I make this walk a bunch of times a year from tailgate to the arena. 71st and Memorial is scarier than that stretch.

I really haven't followed the renovation of the Convention Center. What will it seat when the job is complete?

It was 8900, before the renovation. I do not know what the capacity will be afterwards.

As much as I'd love for Tulsa to get the basketball tourney, I don't think we have the downtown "scene" for it just yet. We're working on it, but we aren't there yet. Maybe in another 5-7 years we can talk about it.

More like 3-4. With the upgrades around the arena, the new district to be built around the new baseball stadium, the upgrades in the Blue Dome district and all upgrades throughout downtown related to lighting and security, I would expect to see Tulsa read by 2012-2013. Check out Downtown Tulsa Unlimited if you want to see what's in development.

I
More like 3-4. With the upgrades around the arena, the new district to be built around the new baseball stadium, the upgrades in the Blue Dome district and all upgrades throughout downtown related to lighting and security, I would expect to see Tulsa read by 2012-2013. Check out Downtown Tulsa Unlimited if you want to see what's in development.

I just don't think they'll have enough hotels, restaurants, and possibly not enough bars downtown to host that event in 3-4 years. Like I said, they are moving in the right direction, but it takes time.

Football at Jerry World at least 2 out of 3 years.

As a person that lives in the KC area, I would love for the basketball tournament to be held at the Sprint Center every year. I have to say that OKC does deserve the basketball tournament every other year (leave Dallas out...boring). While I agree with most that the Sprint Center is a nicer arena, the Ford Center is not horrible. The person that stated that the Power and Light District is better than Bricktown must have had WAY too many of the $9 beers that they sell. There is NO CHANCE that the P&L is even close to as nice as Bricktown. I will go as far as to say that I don't know of 1 person that lives here that even goes down there (except for during the tournament).

:eek:ldwt356:

Dallas is more boring than OKC? Comical.

Everyone who travels to KC that heads over to Power & Light loves it, and the environment is great for the tournament because it's literally right across the street. The venue is great, regardless of whether locals go there when an event is not going on at the Sprint Center. Bricktown sucks, I can't think of any of my friends that graduated from OU that go to Bricktown, everyone heads to Western.

But maybe you're a City Walk type, I dunno.

Dallas is more boring than OKC? Comical.

Everyone who travels to KC that heads over to Power & Light loves it, and the environment is great for the tournament because it's literally right across the street. The venue is great, regardless of whether locals go there when an event is not going on at the Sprint Center. Bricktown sucks, I can't think of any of my friends that graduated from OU that go to Bricktown, everyone heads to Western.

But maybe you're a City Walk type, I dunno.

All I know is, bricktown seems to be getting more and more popular. There are a lot more people going there now than I remember in years past. This summer, it has been extremely busy.

I'm not sure when your most recent experience has been, with bricktown, but it has certainly gained some steam, so to speak.

(Most of what I said is based off of speculation, based on my own observations. No research was done to support my idea that it is becoming more popular.)

Back