OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Source

BY BILL SPINKS

HERALD DEMOCRAT

Better later than never to be a Sooner.

Sherman senior Cameron Clark had the spotlight all to himself on Saturday morning as he signed his national letter of intent to play basketball for the University of Oklahoma alongside family, friends and coaches.

"It's very exciting," Clark said. "I get to continue my career on a high level with some of the best people in college basketball. And I'm going to be pretty close to my family."

Also on hand for Saturday's signing at Sherman High School were his parents, Doug and Felicia Jackson; sisters, Amber and Sommer; Sherman assistant coach Chad Rumer, and Clark's AAU coach, Anthony Guinn.

Members of the Sherman girls' basketball team, preparing for a weekend practice session, also attended and applauded after Clark signed his name on the dotted line.

"It's a big moment," Doug Jackson said. "We've been waiting on this day for nine years now. Ever since he's been nine years old he's been preparing for this day. One of his goals is about to come true. The next goal that he's trying to obtain while he's here is to become a McDonald's All-American."

Clark had originally planned to sign on Wednesday, but a minor paperwork snafu between the university and the high school postponed his signing.

Clark will be joined in Norman by his summer teammate and winter high school rival, Denison's T.J. Taylor, who signed with Oklahoma on Wednesday.

Clark and Taylor were first teammates on The Borg, an AAU team made up of young local players. This summer, Clark and Taylor played for Team Texas Elite.

"They've played together since they were 13 or 14 years old," Jackson said. "They went on to bigger and better things on the AAU circuit."

Clark chose Oklahoma over Oklahoma State, Florida International and Marquette, which is coached by Van Alstyne native Buzz Williams. In the end, it came down to between Marquette and the Sooners.

With Sooner swing man Tony Crocker set to graduate, the door is open for Clark to possibly start for OU in 2010-11. Clark's set of hoops skills closely matches that of Crocker, who is three inches shorter.

"I think I'll fit in pretty well at Oklahoma," Clark said. "I've got an uptempo pace."

In addition to catching attention with his AAU play, Clark attended the LeBron James "King's Academy" summer camp in June in San Diego and from there was selected to play for Team USA in the Nike Global Challenge in Portland, Ore. in August. He also participated in the NBA summer camp for high schoolers.

Among the 2010 recruiting class, Clark is ranked as the nation's No. 5 small forward by both Rivals.com and Scout.com, and is rated 30th overall by Rivals.com.

Last season Clark averaged 20.4 points, 7.6 rebounds and 1.4 steals per game for the Bearcats as Sherman won the District 9-4A championship, racked up 27 victories -- one shy of the school record -- and made it all the way to the Region II semifinals.

Clark's family will be able to watch him play one more season with the Bearcats. But his basketball career is only beginning.

"We'll be able to watch him two hours away," Jackson said, " so the whole family can go down there and watch him play."

Back