Epke Udoh

GParker

Reaction score
18 points
17 rebounds
10 blocks

in Baylor's win over Morgan State tonight.

he would be an absolute beast beside Tiny. His D and rebounding would elevate us so much.

I watched Udoh play in high school on three occasions, but I never dreamed he would be this good. Apparently, OU's coaches didn't either. I don't recall them focusing much of their attention on recruiting him. Am I remembering that correctly?

Baylor is playing well. They have had talent in the past but they underachieved. It looks like this could be their best year.

I watched Udoh play in high school on three occasions, but I never dreamed he would be this good. Apparently, OU's coaches didn't either. I don't recall them focusing much of their attention on recruiting him. Am I remembering that correctly?

Maybe because Capel's good friend and former coach - Tommy Amaker - thought Udoh could be a starter in the Big 10.

Also because there were three Oklahomans already on the team that consistently outplayed Udoh - Griffin, Griffin and Clark.

Yeah, watched Sante Fe play a couple of times and he never really stood out. I mean, he looked like a nice player but I never thought about us making a run. Watched him a couple times a Michigan too and he never really stood out. Then when the stories came out that we were looking at taking him as a transfer I never really got excited about it.

Ouch, was I wrong. Kid is an absolute beast now and it will be interesting to see how Tiny does against him (if he ever gets the ball inside). I bet we set more of Willie taking it up against Udoh than Tiny. :D

I hope we get a story this week on why he picked Baylor over us. Would be interesting to know just how serious we were about taking him. What a program-changing recruiting loss this is turning out to be for us.

Last edited:
The current Statistical Plus/Minus stats show Epke Udoh as the BEST CENTER IN THE COUNTRY.

!!

The top 5:
Ekpe Udoh
Omar Samhan
Greg Monroe
Cole Aldrich
Dexter Pittman

Udoh vs. the others, in stats per 40 minutes:

Code:
Player	Udoh	Samhan	Monroe	Aldrich	Pittman
Pos	C	C	C	C	C
Ht	6-10	6-11	6-11	6-11	6-10
Yr	Jr	Sr	So	Jr	Sr
MPG	34.31	30.20	33.54	25.57	19.86
P/40 	18.4	30.6	19.9	18.6	29.0
FG%	55.2	57.4	46.7	55.5	74.1
3FG%	37.5	0.0	23.1	0.0	0.0
FT%	60.0	75.0	62.7	72.6	55.9
TSA/40 	15.9	24.7	19.3	15.2	20.2
3PA/40 	0.8	0.1	1.4	0.0	0.0
FTA/40 	5.5	9.4	7.1	7.4	9.7
A/40 	3.6	1.5	4.6	1.9	1.1
OR/40 	5.9	5.2	3.9	4.7	7.1
DR/40 	9.1	11.0	9.6	11.9	7.1
TO/40 	2.8	3.1	4.1	2.8	3.3
ST/40 	0.8	0.7	1.9	1.1	0.7
BL/40 	5.9	3.7	2.3	6.2	4.6
PF/40 	2.4	4.1	2.9	3.4	4.8

His numbers are very similar to Aldrich's; he gets a few more assists and plays 9 minutes per game more (and has played weaker opposition).

Ekpe Udoh impact

Just to show you Udoh's impact. Last night against Morgan State (who has a 6'9" guy leading the nation in rebounding), Udoh had 26 shot attempts taken in his area. He blocked 10. 3 of the shots went in. The other 13 shots were altered or missed. So Morgan State was 3-26 on shots in Ekpe's zone. Morgan State shot 35% (23-66), so they were 20-40 on shots taken away from Ekpe. One great defender can completely change the defensive ability of a team.

Last year, opponents shot 43% against Baylor. This year, opponents are shooting 35% (2nd in big 12 behind Kansas at 34.4%) against Baylor. Last year opponents outrebounded Baylor by a small margin. This year, Baylor is #1 in the nation at +11 per game. The difference is that Baylor traded a no-defense finesse post in Kevin Rogers for Ekpe Udoh and Jerrells for 6'10" Anthony Jones.

Yeah, watched Sante Fe play a couple of times and he never really stood out. I mean, he looked like a nice player but I never thought about us making a run. Watched him a couple times a Michigan too and he never really stood out. Then when the stories came out that we were looking at taking him as a transfer I never really got excited about it.

Ouch, was I wrong. Kid is an absolute beast now and it will be interesting to see how Tiny does against him (if he ever gets the ball inside). I bet we set more of Willie taking it up against Udoh than Tiny. :D

I hope we get a story this week on why he picked Baylor over us. Would be interesting to know just how serious we were about taking him. What a program-changing recruiting loss this is turning out to be for us.

I had those same thoughts when I watched Uhoh play in high school. To be honest, I had him pegged as a mid-major recruit, and I was actually surprised when Michigan signed him.

Like, you, I wasn't all that impressed with the performances I saw when he was at Michigan, either. The only thing he showed me was that he could block shots and rebound a little. Looks like we both missed the boat on this one, huh? :eek:

I watched Udoh play several times against Moose and always thought Moose would have the better career if he would get his head on straight. Udoh seemed to play small for a 6-10 HS kid if thats possible.

I remember Moose sitting out the PC vs ESF game at SF his senior year. I knew he had some problems when he was text messaging people during the game from the bench.

With Obi and Shaw both at osu I guessed he was headed there. That seems strange that he would choose bu over osu to me. He was behind the osu bench at the all college this year.

It really was an impressive recruiting maneuver for Drew to land Epke away from Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. Both of his hometown state schools needed a big man (especially OSU), and were offering immediate playing time.

I would be curious to know if Drew or Tang also recruited him out of high school. I don't recall Baylor's name ever popping up on his lists, but then again, I have slept a few times since then.

Back