Fitz, Pledger Cited

Re: Fitz, Pledger Arrested

I was arrested in college. Today I have a J.D., an LL.M. in Taxation (that is a second law degree) and have passed the CPA exam. A good friend of mine was arrested several times for drinking. Today he is a doctor that did a prestigious internship at Johns Hopkins. People make mistakes.

You don't have to be the bottom of the barrel to make mistakes. I grew up fairly privileged but I made plenty of mistakes. If you want to judge these guys and conclude they have poor character then go for it. I think they are fairly normal teenagers that made a stupid decision. I think they should get a deferred sentence from the judicial system, run a lot and miss a game or a few games (depending on Coach Capel's assessment). I don't think they should be judged to have poor character by people that don't even know them.

you are also not representing this university when it comes to outsiders looking at OU. these kids need to realize, whether they like it or not, that they represent OU to the outside world. Did espn report that you got arrested before you went on to law school and such, no because no one cares.

How will they learn? Well they can learn two things.

First they can learn that when you break the law, you get arrested, get embarrassed with their name in the paper, have to pay a fine, possibly do community service, etc.

The second thing they could learn, is that every single human being makes mistakes, and that all good people realize this. And that when those mistakes happen, the good people in their life take them under their wing and have their back, they don't throw them under the bus. The good people in their life pat them on the back and say to shake it off because everybody makes mistakes.

everybody does make mistakes, but not mistakes like stealing. stealing is a big deal. if capel doesn't punish them or suspend them, it just opens the door for other players to steal and realize there is no punishment

everybody does make mistakes, but not mistakes like stealing. stealing is a big deal. if capel doesn't punish them or suspend them, it just opens the door for other players to steal and realize there is no punishment

I don't think Capel not punishing them is going to make other players want to go steal.

After careful consideration I think this should be handled by their parents. They can involve Capel however much they want, but the extent of Capel's involvement should be to make them apologize to the team and the community and vow to not do it again.

Last edited:

One reason is they don't get caught. At least 75% of every D1 team is breaking the law every week. I have no doubt.

If you are talking about alcohol, I've already agreed, and stated that I at least understand that one. Big difference to me though.

If you are talking about alcohol, I've already agreed, and stated that I at least understand that one. Big difference to me though.
Alcohol, drunk driving, marijuana, elicit drug use, gambling, guns, whatever. Not to say there are just a bunch of felon's running around, burning down houses, running amok, but let's not act like these two are apart of some lunatic fringe minority with a conjured up 1% number that isn't even a serious estimation.

Last edited:

O yeah, only getting arrested and having your name in the paper is going to make them all want to go out and steal. They are probably planning a big caper right now.

"You mean we only get arrested? That's it? Let's do it boys!!!"

if you let something like this go unpunished than it sets a tone that capel will not punish players when they make bad decisions. that can not happen

They stole some clothes. My guess is it wasn't the first time and they probably come from a family with little to no money at all. Most kids in situations like that will steal. They are going to learn a very valuable lesson from all this or they won't. If they do it again that's the end of their basketball careers. We'll soon find out what character these guys have but not just because they made a mistake that a lot of kids make.

I trust Capel will handle this appropriately. Zero tolerance is not the answer. Zero tolerance is a lazy approach to discipline that doesn't require the authority figure to exercise judgment and make the punishment fit the crime and the person who broke the rule. That is justice. Justice when applied makes the whole team better. Blind, zero tolerance policies too often result in injustice which will destroy a team. Zero tolerance is the thing that gets the first grader expelled for taking his cub scout camping utensil set to school to show his classmates.

I am a big fan of grace and mercy for me and for others. Capel has to look deep inside of these two young men and make a judgment. He won't shirk that responsibility. I expect him to do great at it.

There is a reason why law breakers are tried before a jury who hears the available evidence rather than people just voting guilty/not guilty after reading the police blotter. Was there more than one object stolen? Did they actually walk out of the store with it? Which one took the item? Did the other guy know/cooperate/encourage the taking? There is a lot more to know before the appropriate punishment is dealt. It may not be the same for each guy.

O yeah, only getting arrested and having your name in the paper is going to make them all want to go out and steal. They are probably planning a big caper right now.

"You mean we only get arrested? That's it? Let's do it boys!!!"

o so now getting arrested is a big deal? i thought you said it was only petty and shouldn't matter??? which one is it???

Better add narcotics, especially weed. But that is a large % of almost every US campus.

Well this thread certainly got stupid and pointless. Glad I've been busy with work most of the day.

They stole some clothes. My guess is it wasn't the first time and they probably come from a family with little to no money at all. Most kids in situations like that will steal. They are going to learn a very valuable lesson from all this or they won't. If they do it again that's the end of their basketball careers. We'll soon find out what character these guys have but not just because they made a mistake that a lot of kids make.

I don't believe either player came from a "down in the dumps" situation.

And they get clothes from the athletic department.

No, they aren't.

These kids aren't the bottom of the barrel. At least, in most cases they aren't. These aren't the kids that dropped out of HS. These aren't the kids, for the most part, that are still running around with gangsters.Stealing is typically a peer pressure thing. Who in the hell would pressure those two to steal from Dilliards? Peer pressure I understand. Stealing just b/c, I don't.

Printess Elliott respectfully disagrees

Nolan Johnson I believe.

Nolan Johnson and JR Raymond were the ones arrested at Wal-Mart, and Johnson didn't even know they were stealing because Raymond hid the DVD's in Nolan's kid's stroller. The charges against Nolan were eventually dropped.

Neither were kicked off the team for that incident.

How will they learn? Well they can learn two things.

First they can learn that when you break the law, you get arrested, get embarrassed with their name in the paper, have to pay a fine, possibly do community service, etc.

The second thing they could learn, is that every single human being makes mistakes, and that all good people realize this. And that when those mistakes happen, the good people in their life take them under their wing and have their back, they don't throw them under the bus. The good people in their life pat them on the back and say to shake it off because everybody makes mistakes.

So, they deserve a pat on the back. You really are 17, aren't you?

I have every confidence that Coach Capel will handle this correctly. We'll never know all the details and we don't know these guys like he does, so speculating on the best way to handle it is uninformed, at best. For all that we know, only one of them stole something and the other was guilty by association. Coach has shown that he can be pretty creative in dealing with things, so I bet he'll do just fine. That being said, I'll be shocked if either of them dress for the game tomorrow night.

Geez people don't listen at all.

There is no "consequences" equation to this when dealing with a group who doesn't believe they will get caught. Do you not understand that?

When they have matured enough to understand the bad things can happen to them also then "consequences" will actually internalize ... but by that time people usually also apply a more mature moral basis and wouldn't do these things anyway.

They're kids. Run them to death, make them pay restitution, and move on.

Fitz and Pledger should sit the 1st half only lets move past this

This should get there attention. Now fella's don't do this again okay? Time to move on and focus on BB we have games to win.

No harm no foul. They need the Barney and Andy talk, don't want to end up like Otis now do we?

Has it been reported what they were caught stealing?

It could be that they grabbed a couple of candybars off the register when they were in there looking for clothes, and joking around after a big win.

It could be that they stuffed a couple of t-shirts down thier pants.

I wouldn't look at the two situations the same way.

My point is, until the facts are out, then I won't pass judgement, and either way, I'll trust the staff to make the right call.

If it has been reported what they were caught stealing, then I may have an opinion.

Back