Fitz, Pledger Cited

Re: Fitz, Pledger Arrested

Some of you act like you never did any f'd up things as a kid or in college. The biggest difference I see between these two guys and me is they got caught when they made their stupid decision. Honestly, I wouldn't even want to be friends with someone that never did anything like this because I suspect the people that never made any poor decisions are bit odd. I suspect the vast majority of us did something similar to this such as: drinking under age, stealing beer (shoplifting), taking drugs, selling or buying drugs, driving drunk (probably the most common and worst one on the list because of the potential consequences), using a prostitute, vandalism, shop lifting, walking a check at a restaurant (theft of services), sneaking into a movie theater (theft of services), bouncing a check (theft by check) fighting (assault and battery), bullying, cheating on a test (violation of the student code of conduct and grounds for expulsion from OU) etc. That is a list of many of the dumb decisions teenage boys make. I seriously doubt many people reached 25 without ever doing something on that list.

This incident does not mean that Fitzgerald or Pledger lack character. It means they are relatively normal 18 year old boys that made a mistake and got caught. I suspect God will forgive these guys for this transgression perhaps we could too.

Don't read this as suggesting there should be no consequences. I think both guys should be disciplined. I just don't think it means they lack character, rather I think it means they are humans.

I am sorry but how this is dealt with is much more important to the lives of these kids and the future of our basketball program that one single game tomorrow night.

priorities.

I totally agree with this. They should not play on Tuesday under any circumstances, even if OU has foul trouble and has to play 4 on 5.

How can anyone say what their punishment should be when we don't even know exactly what they are accused of? I'll be satisfied to let Coach Capel decide which punishment fits their crime.

Petty

1. of little or no importance or consequence
2. of lesser or secondary importance, merit, etc.

This is a notch above a speeding ticket. They pay a fine and it's done.

Capel should ignore it. His job is to win basketball games. Let their dads discipline them (which should basically amount to, "hey idiot, don't do that again").

A suspension would be a ridiculous overreaction.

I agree with others who suggested a 1 or 2 game suspension with extra PT thown in.

Petty

Capel should ignore it. His job is to win basketball games. Let their dads discipline them (which should basically amount to, "hey idiot, don't do that again").

I am glad you aren't in charge.

Petty

I hope you are joking. The opinions on this seem a bit extreme on both sides.

couple game suspension, extra practice. come to the suspended games dressed up in a tie and slacks.

For those of you saying this is common, it is not. Not amongst D1 student athletes. Probably what, less than 1 or 2% of them do something this dumb? There is a BIG difference, IMO, between underaged drinking/fighting/etc and stealing from a department store. BIG difference.

Dillards sells prescription glasses?

For those of you saying this is common, it is not. Not amongst D1 student athletes. Probably what, less than 1 or 2% of them do something this dumb? There is a BIG difference, IMO, between underaged drinking/fighting/etc and stealing from a department store. BIG difference.

you can expect the same percentage from them as you do from the public at large. 1 in 3 with trouble, 1 in 4 with a case, and 1 in 5 facing time in jail (not necessarily there, but accused of breaking a law where the consequences could be jail time).

they have less free time and are monitored more intently so they may be guarded a little more from it, but the same motivations are generally there thus it's not some freak incident.

Getting caught certainly isn't common. But making poor decisions while a teenager is completely common. D-1 student athletes are still teenagers like everyone else. They just get to read about their mistakes in the newspaper.

Getting caught certainly isn't common. But making poor decisions while a teenager is completely common. D-1 student athletes are still teenagers like everyone else. They just get to read about their mistakes in the newspaper.

No, they aren't.

These kids aren't the bottom of the barrel. At least, in most cases they aren't. These aren't the kids that dropped out of HS. These aren't the kids, for the most part, that are still running around with gangsters.

Stealing is typically a peer pressure thing. Who in the hell would pressure those two to steal from Dilliards? Peer pressure I understand. Stealing just b/c, I don't.

First, nothing should be done unless they are guilty of larceny. I would hope Capel would talk to the kids and make sure they are guilty before taking any action. However, if they are guilty of intentionally stealing property then I say deal with it harshly.

A thief is a thief, the amount or value matters not. They might be good kids, and I'm not suggesting that the legal authorities punish them in some harsh way, but as for playing on the team, I would kick them off of the team. Then I would hope they learn a lesson and get their lives turned around -- just somewhere else.

I realize many will disagree but I think a coach should deal with stealing harshly or he is abrogating his duty.

Some mistakes you pay a steep price for, and stealing should be one of them. This is not a disciplinary issue such as talking inappropriately to a coach, missing a practice or class, were talking about stealing.

JMO

And Denver, enough with the "Like anybody else here has never done anything wrong."
I'm sick of seeing that whenever a college athlete gets in trouble.

No, I highly doubt that most of us here have ever been arrested before.
I can only speak for myself, but I know I have never shoplifted before.
The "kids being kids" argument is tired.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stupid stupid stupid. i did these kinda things. but i didn't have a pro career ahead of me or a D-1 scholly.

If i did, i wouldn't have pulled stupid stuff like that.

My guess is they will face anywhere from part of the game to the whole game Tuesday and extra sprints this week. Neither will start for sure but they might get to play some in the 2nd half. Might not be fair or right but that is the reality of things like this.

Stupid stupid stupid. i did these kinda things. but i didn't have a pro career ahead of me or a D-1 scholly.

If i did, i wouldn't have pulled stupid stuff like that.

Sure you would have.

Back