Good news/bad news for Florida

AdaSooner

Admin Emeritus
Reaction score
The good news: Nick Calathes has pulled out of the NBA draft.

The bad news: He has decided to by-pass his final two years at Florida to play professionally in Greece.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4201710

Something is seriously wrong in Gator land. Three years ago Billy Donovan was on top of the world after leading his team to a national championship. In the past few months his world has been falling apart, and there doesn't appear to be an end to it. Was Billy D that overrated as a coach and a leader of young men or is what he is experiencing just a case of bad luck? :confused:

The good news: Nick Calathes has pulled out of the NBA draft.

The bad news: He has decided to by-pass his final two years at Florida to play professionally in Greece.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4201710

Something is seriously wrong in Gator land. Three years ago Billy Donovan was on top of the world after leading his team to a national championship. In the past few months his world has been falling apart, and there doesn't appear to be an end to it. Was Billy D that overrated as a coach and a leader of young men or is what he is experiencing just a case of bad luck? :confused:

Where is his brother at?

Calathes seems more like an Euro player than an NBA player. Million dollars to play/live in Greece has got to be pretty sweet.

He is a Greek citizen so I don't think this decision necessarily reflects poorly on Donovan. He got an offer and he took it.

Tony Parker's brother, T.J., left Northwestern after his Junior year to go play in Europe. Not unheard of, especially if they have foreign ties like Calathes and Parker.

Calathes folds under any pressure...he's soft and florida will be better without him. He also needs to gain about 30 lbs if he ever wants to even tryout for an NBA team.

Calathes folds under any pressure...he's soft and florida will be better without him. He also needs to gain about 30 lbs if he ever wants to even tryout for an NBA team.

He could play for me any day. No player is perfect, and he has his flaws I'm sure. But he's a good player.

Another American heading to Europe instead of the NBA. It ain't going away. Expect more of the same.

Terrance Ogelsby from Clemson also forgoing his final two years of eligibility and heading to Europe. He has dual citizenship with the United States and Norway.

Terrance Ogelsby from Clemson also forgoing his final two years of eligibility and heading to Europe. He has dual citizenship with the United States and Norway.

Monetarily it may be turning out to be an advantage. If you look at Ogelsby and Calathes, they have a better chance of being good players overseas than even making an NBA roster for an extended period of time.

Monetarily it may be turning out to be an advantage. If you look at Ogelsby and Calathes, they have a better chance of being good players overseas than even making an NBA roster for an extended period of time.

That's why I think it is a great move, now I'm a huge college homer and players leaving hurts the game, but you can't disagree with that type of financial decision.

Back