Is Willie really the root of our problems currently?

There's a little phrase that's probably the most true cliche associated with any team in any sport - "winning cures all ills".

I've seen it time after time. When things on the field/court aren't going well, and the losses are piling up, it's amazing how many guys have injuries, disagreements with coaches, fights with teammates, discipline issues, etc. When that same team puts some wins together, all of those problems suddenly disappear and everybody is magically healthy and best friends.

Exactly. I haven't given any emotional and physical investment into the team like they have. I'll let them work through their trials without assuming anything about a situation.

I especially don't understand why some think that all the little basketball angels are going to fly right 365 days of the year and there is never going to be issues. I don't think I ever played on a team at any level that didn't get at least 1 guy kicked off at some point during the year. (not that Willie is anywhere near that sort of punishment) In fact, I don't recall ever playing for a team whether it be high school, college, AAU or anything else where there wasn't a fist fight until someone was half-unconscious or some sort of brawl. I witnessed a prominent high school player not to be named almost beat an assistant AAU coach to death. Said player played 4 years at a major D1 power, with nary an issue. 90% of team at UIC were chronic marijuana smokers, a few did X, one got kicked out of school on a felonly cocaine trafficking charge. Being frustrated with how you are personally performing (hell I think the demise of willie's play thus far is grossly exaggerated to begin with) and acting up by misleading the team how he did is so minor, you almost have to laugh at the absurdity of all the knee jerk reactions going on. Way worse goes on every day.

Amen brother. Preach it.
What's going on can easily be fixed but someone has to step up and be the leader. The lack of emotion, defensive effort, etc that has been reported is all about attitude and can be corrected. I think that is the message Capel has been sitting with the benching of Tiny and then the benching of Willie.
The guys need to respond. In two months this can all be a moot point if someone steps up to lead this team. It's really as simple as that.

Amen brother. Preach it.
What's going on can easily be fixed but someone has to step up and be the leader. The lack of emotion, defensive effort, etc that has been reported is all about attitude and can be corrected. I think that is the message Capel has been sitting with the benching of Tiny and then the benching of Willie.
The guys need to respond. In two months this can all be a moot point if someone steps up to lead this team. It's really as simple as that.
Agreed. It has to be Willie though. He's the best player, and needs to lead. But guys like Cade and Tony can assist with that role as well.

Agreed. It has to be Willie though. He's the best player, and needs to lead. But guys like Cade and Tony can assist with that role as well.

Totally agree. That is why I made my comments early in this thread about it's time for Willie to grow up and it's time to just shut up and play and end all the drama that seems to follow. I think it was Campbest that said he needs to realize he's the face of OU right now and getting all the magazine covers and hooplah so he's the hero when they win and the goat when they lose. That comes with it. He needs to embrace that.

I have some pretty good info that WW is just going through some growing pains right now. This kid is just a sophomore and can still be a leader, but not the only one. Cade and Tony will have to step it up. They will also need to take WW under their wing so to speak. WW will be fine. I feel better about is since I received this info. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

WTF is a thread like this doing on OU hoops? Especially the title. Threads like this really make you understand why high level athletes and business executives avoid the average joe like the plague.

What's wrong with my thread title?

One of the reasons I like this board is because it's not a rumor mill.

But questioning of athletes' drama and happenstance can quickly turn into melt down mode.

I have no problem with people questioning Willie Warren's conduct, as long as they have evidence that's not just hearsay.

So no, I don't think there's anything wrong with me as the average joe. I'm just wanting to have a civil conversation about what's ACTUALLY going on with our team so that we don't veer into soap opera territory.

Would you try to spin a fight between the OU football team and OU basketball team in a positive light for OU basketball?
I am not defending Willie as much as I'm saying is Chendog's Jayhawk is showing because he is handling Willie's issues different because he is a Sooner than he would if he was a Jayhawk.

Seems like a silly fight to get riled up about vi.

Back