Kansas' path to the Final Four

And even though it's been explained to me many times, I still find it hard to understand why Ace wasn't given more of opportunity to put that sweet game on display in the NBA!

Good question. I have the same thought about Corey Brewer who was an absolute beast of a guard who could take it to the hole and score or beat you with the outside shot and I don't think he even made an NBA roster. Part of it was because of the strike but I've still not understood how he didn't make a roster?

But for my money, stoopsforpres, that 2003 Sooner team just wasn't quite as good as the '02 squad. And like someone else posted, it was mainly because of Aaron McGhee's departure.

Completely agree.

Bookout ended up being a viable post option during the 2nd half of the '03 season, but Aaron was fantastic in '02. Specifically during the NCAA Tournament.

It also helped having Selvy and Detrick coming off the bench. Not to mention the '02 Ere was much better than the '03 one.

Man, that '02 team was stacked. Plain and simple.

And even though it's been explained to me many times, I still find it hard to understand why Ace wasn't given more of opportunity to put that sweet game on display in the NBA!

FWIW, Hubie Brown was one of the commentators of the 2002 Draft, and when the show was nearing a close they asked each commentator to name the guy they were surprised didn't get drafted... Ace was who Brown named.

jayhawks are some lucky mothers. this is exactly how it panned out for them in '08 on the way to their FF and title...16/8/12/10. words cannot describe my detest.

But for my money, stoopsforpres, that 2003 Sooner team just wasn't quite as good as the '02 squad. And like someone else posted, it was mainly because of Aaron McGhee's departure.
The 2003 team was very similar to the '89 team, in my opinion. Both very good, but both missing one key ingredient. 2003 missed Ace, '89 missed The General.

jayhawks are some lucky mothers. this is exactly how it panned out for them in '08 on the way to their FF and title...16/8/12/10. words cannot describe my detest.

Memphis handed Kansas the title that year. All season long, the knock on Memphis was that they couldn't hit free throws. In the tourney, however, they were shooting really well. It looked as though they were going to make them when it mattered. Unfortunately, they just fell apart late in the Championship game. Douglas-Roberts and Rose both missed crucial free throws at the end that would have sealed the deal. If I'm not mistaken, Memphis was up nine with like four minutes left. Kansas did not deserve to win it all that year or any year for that matter. The only thing Kansas deserves is a tornado barreling through Phag Allen Fieldhouse.

Agreed. And I will bet my life that they don't handily beat their FF opponent (whoever that may be) like the '08 team did vs. UNC.

At least the '08 team was talented enough to be FF status. I just don't see it in this Kansas team... Its a shame they have had an easy road too, because I wanted them to test their mettle against a formidable opponent in the tournament. Looks like that won't happen until the FF.

As I said before, its not their fault that they're facing an easy schedule in the tournament, but it is the truth... Their road has been a joke.

To the Final Four yes, through the Final Four no way.

KU played in maybe the best Final Four field ever (17 NBA players between 4 teams) with all #1 seeds and came out the champion. Memphis definitely choked it away but KU had to make the plays to put them in that position.

This year is definitely an easy road, much easier than '08 imo. As far as comparing them this team isn't close to that team but they aren't slouches either. According to most scouts KU has 5 NBA players on the team. That's pretty darn salty.

FSU and Florida will be tough games for KU if they play both of them.

Does Kansas luck ever run out? VCU and Florida State are beating the hell out of each other tonight. Neither team is going to have anything in the tank for Sunday.

To the Final Four yes, through the Final Four no way.

KU played in maybe the best Final Four field ever (17 NBA players between 4 teams) with all #1 seeds and came out the champion. Memphis definitely choked it away but KU had to make the plays to put them in that position.

This year is definitely an easy road, much easier than '08 imo. As far as comparing them this team isn't close to that team but they aren't slouches either. According to most scouts KU has 5 NBA players on the team. That's pretty darn salty.

Share your thoughts on this as well. They handily beat 1 seed and ACC Champ UNC in the Final Four... And yeah Memphis did help KU come out on top, but Chalmers did hit that big time shot, and they just ran away with it in overtime.

2 questions for you grace: What 5 NBA players you think are on the roster? Morris twins, Robinson, Selby, who else?

Also, if you had to pick, which team would you take... Last year's KU team or this year's?

I know this year's team has gone further, but at this point I still might take KU's team from last year. I don't think KU has been tested this season near as much during conference play nor in the tournament. This might be disagreed, but I would take that Northern Iowa team from last year over any team KU has faced in the tournament this season.

Two days ago, I thought there were only three teams who could win the title, and two of them have been eliminated. I just don't see anybody beating Kansas, but hope I'm wrong. One can't help notice their "path" to the title and invoke memories of good ole' 1988.

In '88, Kansas was blessed to have the easiest possible path a #6 seed could have. They got to play a #14 seed in Round Two instead of a #3. In the Sweet 16, instead of playing a #2 seed, they played a #7. In the Elite Eight, instead of playing a #1 seed, they got to play a #4 (from the same conference). Obviously, they had to win two difficult games in the Final Four, but I couldn't help but notice their "path" once again.

Now, after reliving March of '88 all over again, it's back to therapy for me. :)

It's hard to disagree with you on that one, Grace. Based on my previous post, I wasn't thinking about '08...but twenty years earlier.

Sorry guys, Im pulling for Kansas because they represent our conference. Hate losing to those guys but it wouldn't bother me if they won the tourney.

Sorry guys, Im pulling for Kansas because they represent our conference.

Come on now, we aren't SEC fans... KU is one of OU bball's rivals.

Plus, KU never pulled for conference superiority when OU was representing the conference... They were cheering vehemently for Indiana when OU played the Hoosiers in the Final 4 in 2002. KU doesn't deserve OU fans pulling for them after that.

Back