Losing faith in Capel

Re: Loosing faith in Capel

I think some of the slow start goes back to the officiating. They were calling EVERYTHING. I think our guys were afraid to touch anybody out there.

This has become somewhat of a pattern in the past few games. I'm wondering if maybe OU should open the game playing zone for about 5 minutes until the refs settle down some.

That is an excuse. I'm not saying every foul called was good, but we don't play good defense. It might look good compared to where it was, but it isn't good. It's to about average right now.

Even if you want to call the defense we played in the first 4 or 5 minutes of the game only 'average' the fouls that were called early in the game were ticky-tack, touch-me fouls. I can see calling fouls like that early in a game like the UT/KSU game last night. Bodies were flying all over the court in that game and the officials were spectators instead of taking control of the game.

Because of the fouls called, we couldn't come close to playing good defense. We were forced to switch to the zone, which are aren't very good at.

Even if you want to call the defense we played in the first 4 or 5 minutes of the game only 'average' the fouls that were called early in the game were ticky-tack, touch-me fouls. I can see calling fouls like that early in a game like the UT/KSU game last night. Bodies were flying all over the court in that game and the officials were spectators instead of taking control of the game.

Because of the fouls called, we couldn't come close to playing good defense. We were forced to switch to the zone, which are aren't very good at.

How did aTm manage to play good defense early?

Losing faith in Capel

I'm not. In fact, it is good to see him getting this team to finally buy into playing like a team on both ends. Also, really am enjoying the way that TMG and Tiny are developing.

I have been questioning capel for a little bit now I just chose to make it public after this loss. I just do not understand our philosophy. We play a 4 guard lineup but walk the ball up and play halfcourt basketball.
We start fitzgerald in a few games and he does not even see the floor tonight. Pledger played terrible and he stays in the game.
All of the issues for me boil down to not developing depth in the pre season. I think we win tonight if we had other guys to rotate in for people who were not playing good on both ends.
If we had a timeout saved at the end we could have gotten the ball at half court to set up a better three attempt.
I am just frustrated because unlike some of u I do not think A&M is nearly as talented as we are. We have the best player in Warren, best pg in tmg and best center in gallon...

And I know I can't spell... Lol... I need spell check on my cell phone!

This loss hurts but not for the reason some of our losses early hurt. This loss hurts because our guys battled and showed A LOT of character when most teams would have folded. I think OU deserved to win tonight and the way I see it, if not for a couple missed shots at the rim OU would have won. I've seen A TON of improvement since Alaska. No need to give up on them now. I feel pretty good about our chances to go .500 in the Big12 after watching them the last 3 games.

The players had many opportunities afforded to them to win the game and came up a bit short. This was not Jeff's doing. Whether it was due to a preceeding injury, Tony C. passed on a number of uncontested outside shots and focused on taking it to the hole which really didn't pan out. I'm sure this was his decision to do such. Pledger played mainly to spell either Crocker or Willie who were in foul trouble as they needed to sit for a spell.

This team IS getting better. Whether they ever live up to realistic or unrealistic expectations (at this point I don't know what was realistic), this team is making strides. They would have lost this game by 20+ in December. No doubt.

I have been questioning capel for a little bit now I just chose to make it public after this loss. I just do not understand our philosophy. We play a 4 guard lineup but walk the ball up and play halfcourt basketball.
We start fitzgerald in a few games and he does not even see the floor tonight. Pledger played terrible and he stays in the game.
All of the issues for me boil down to not developing depth in the pre season. I think we win tonight if we had other guys to rotate in for people who were not playing good on both ends.
If we had a timeout saved at the end we could have gotten the ball at half court to set up a better three attempt.
I am just frustrated because unlike some of u I do not think A&M is nearly as talented as we are. We have the best player in Warren, best pg in tmg and best center in gallon...

And I know I can't spell... Lol... I need spell check on my cell phone!

Two freshmen and a sophomore.

TMG was great tonight. As long as Tiny was in the game, he was excellent, too. But at this point in their careers, they don't have the same experience playing in situations like tonight - on the road - that a junior or senior would have. They'll learn from this. They've come a long way in the past month.

Whether it was due to a preceeding injury, Tony C. passed on a number of uncontested outside shots and focused on taking it to the hole which really didn't pan out.

We can't just stand around and shoot 3's. That is what get's us in trouble. That was another bright spot, I loved how all of the guards were aggressive. Not always smart, but aggressive.

That said, Tony is 6 for his last 21 from 3 over the last 7 games. Not a great percentage, and he is in a bit of a funk. Same with Pledger. You can't keep forcing them in tight games.

This is not a smart thread or an unimformed post. In the last three weeks the Sooners have started to turn the corner. I really expected ATM to blitz you guys tonight unfortunately that did not happen. Capel seems to be making progress and the team is starting to form into a unit instead of 5 individuals. You guys might not make the tourney this year, but in a few years you will be making a much sweeter trip to a final four. If I were you I would keep the face.

On a side note is anyone tired of big 12 refs trying to be the center focus of most every game you watch.

By the way congrats on the improvement. Teams that meet you guys early will have a distinct advantage. I hate it that we upchucked at LNC.

The youth on your team will make you very formidable in the future. With the exception of Tiny I think they will be a headache for four years no less.

By the way I recant on my prediction of you guys losing both road games. You will whip Tech.

Two freshmen and a sophomore.

TMG was great tonight. As long as Tiny was in the game, he was excellent, too. But at this point in their careers, they don't have the same experience playing in situations like tonight - on the road - that a junior or senior would have. They'll learn from this. They've come a long way in the past month.

I completely agree they have came a long way. But if we are going to recruit these one and done or two and done type players we have to do a better job of getting these guys to play team ball in the pre season and pre conference games...

Why do I keep reading posts about aTm blitzing us, and beating us by 30? That aTm team was ONE game better than us before tonight. They aren't very good. They don't suck, but that isn't one of the top 5 teams in the conference.

I completely agree they have came a long way. But if we are going to recruit these one and done or two and done type players we have to do a better job of getting these guys to play team ball in the pre season and pre conference games...

They all think they are one and done or two and done when they graduate from high school. It remains to be seen at what time they will be ready for the NBA.

Why do I keep reading posts about aTm blitzing us, and beating us by 30? That aTm team was ONE game better than us before tonight. They aren't very good. They don't suck, but that isn't one of the top 5 teams in the conference.

They are possibly number 5 and no worse than number 7. People are seeing improvement in this team, TU. A&M would have beaten us by 30 if the game was played a week or two ago. Improvement (especially on defense) has made this team better.

We can't just stand around and shoot 3's. That is what get's us in trouble. That was another bright spot, I loved how all of the guards were aggressive. Not always smart, but aggressive.

That said, Tony is 6 for his last 21 from 3 over the last 7 games. Not a great percentage, and he is in a bit of a funk. Same with Pledger. You can't keep forcing them in tight games.

For the most part when the shot is wide open you take it unless there are no rebounders. Tony has much to improve on when it comes to driving hard to the basket. It's not really his strong suit. He'd be better off letting Willie and Tommy do that and be the benefactor of the dump off pass to him for a close range shot.

Re: OU concedes game with 3:00 left to play

OU got the lead by driving the ball and shooting free throws. Jeff Capel told the players to stop doing that, drain the clock, and take a shot as time expired. That's exactly what they did. Game Over.

My thoughts exactly. What a stupid coaching move the last 1:45 of the game. Crap how do you lock the coach out of his office for not coaching with smarts>

They are possibly number 5 and no worse than number 7. People are seeing improvement in this team, TU. A&M would have beaten us by 30 if the game was played a week or two ago. Improvement (especially on defense) has made this team better.

I do see improvement on D but from what I saw tonight they still had a ton of wide open shots and they missed alot of wide open shots... We did a real good job on Sloan but I am not so sure on the rest they had some open jumpers.
I think how we were able to keep the score down and what we really have improved on is rebounding. I think we rebounded well tonight keeping them to one and done situations several times

Re: OU concedes game with 3:00 left to play

My thoughts exactly. What a stupid coaching move the last 1:45 of the game. Crap how do you lock the coach out of his office for not coaching with smarts>

Yeah what a stupid coaching move having TMG miss the front end of a 1 and 1 when we were up 4. Gotta do a better job of coaching than that!

Back