NBA- OU players and general (this thread only)

well i know lakers were set to pretty much match anything. but i thought the spurs were going to throw an offer out, especially with how active the lakers were yesterday. him with pop and wemby would have been so fun.

well i know lakers were set to pretty much match anything. but i thought the spurs were going to throw an offer out, especially with how active the lakers were yesterday. him with pop and wemby would have been so fun.

I assumed Pop would consider it just to mess with LA, but it doesn't fit with their timeline. Not a cap expert, but I think it would have been backloaded and been 25-30M in years 3 and 4, which is when Wemby will be ready to contend, so they want to keep the cap space. They will likely tank this year, utilize cap space to take on bad contracts to stockpile picks, and then go all in 2-3 years from now.

I dont follow nba but some on twitter are saying AR left like 30 mill on the table in theory for what he was worth in this market. Thoughts on that? Still pumped for him regardless

yeah i lost my cap knowledge two cba’s ago. lol. and i certainly won’t question him or his agent since they seem to know what they are doing. pelinka probably did some work to keep other teams away too.

Making an offer would tie up their cap space for 3 days, and since they knew the Lakers would match anything, it wasn't worth it for most teams. After 3 days of free agency, most of the key players are off the board.

The new cap it is 24 hours to match or not.

I dont follow nba but some on twitter are saying AR left like 30 mill on the table in theory for what he was worth in this market. Thoughts on that? Still pumped for him regardless

He wanted to stay. And he did the lakers a solid. And he got a 4th year player option and a trade kicker out of it as well.

He wanted to stay. And he did the lakers a solid. And he got a 4th year player option and a trade kicker out of it as well.

Reaves earned well north of $30 mil by staying in LA. He’s everyone’s favorite underdog there and will make a ton of money on investments, appearances, partnerships, etc.

Exactly. He pretty much made it known he wanted to stay, loves playing with the current roster, and was willing to take less money to run it back. He's one of the most popular people in LA at this time.... I'm really happy with the moves LA has made.

NBA.com says two days, but either way, it has been 24 hours and most key players are off the board.

i think the big key is that that clock doesn't start until a player can actually sign the offer sheet .. which is not until july 6 ...

so in effect agreeing to sign an RFA ties up your money for much much longer then the match period ...

the Lakers indicated (via media and reporters) that they would have waited until the last min

Happy for AR getting paid. Unfortunately for him, California is not tax friendly. That $56 mil will probably end up $28 million after taxes. He should seek good financial counsel to make it last.

Happy for AR getting paid. Unfortunately for him, California is not tax friendly. That $56 mil will probably end up $28 million after taxes. He should seek good financial counsel to make it last.

no california tax on the games he plays outside the state

He was a restricted free agent so unless other teams offer he can't really get more money right? I could be wrong though. Not up to date on CBA stuff.

He was a restricted free agent so unless other teams offer he can't really get more money right? I could be wrong though. Not up to date on CBA stuff.

What the Lakers did was very smart. They worked behind the scenes with AR and got his word he was planning to stay in LA. They then let the entire NBA know they would match any offer he got. Some teams who might have offered high just to make the Lakers go high in matching were thrown off when LA said they would wait until the last minute to match any offer, so the other team would have that money tied up, and couldn't go after other free agents.

It was a perfect plan and only worked because AR made it known he wasn't really interested in leaving LA. Teams like the Spurs & Rockets, who were expected to offer very high, were scared off because of the fact LA & AR seemed to be working together from day 1.

What the Lakers did was very smart. They worked behind the scenes with AR and got his word he was planning to stay in LA. They then let the entire NBA know they would match any offer he got. Some teams who might have offered high just to make the Lakers go high in matching were thrown off when LA said they would wait until the last minute to match any offer, so the other team would have that money tied up, and couldn't go after other free agents.

It was a perfect plan and only worked because AR made it known he wasn't really interested in leaving LA. Teams like the Spurs & Rockets, who were expected to offer very high, were scared off because of the fact LA & AR seemed to be working together from day 1.

I read that, too, and it is smart by the Lakers. Although I am surprised no one made a big offer just to force LA to match and therefore have to spend more for Reaves.

I read that, too, and it is smart by the Lakers. Although I am surprised no one made a big offer just to force LA to match and therefore have to spend more for Reaves.

No doubt. I think everyone was kinda shocked he didn't get any offers. It helped them sign a couple of guys they might not have gotten if they had to throw the bank at AR.

I just don't get why AR would do that.. i get there is something to be said about having an established spot and the big market blah blah blah, but LA would drop him in a second if he doesn't produce. I think he was given bad advice or made a bad choice bc he still should have secured his bigger bag imo. Makes LA more committed to him too (i.e., can't drop him at the drop of the hat)

I just don't get why AR would do that.. i get there is something to be said about having an established spot and the big market blah blah blah, but LA would drop him in a second if he doesn't produce. I think he was given bad advice or made a bad choice bc he still should have secured his bigger bag imo. Makes LA more committed to him too (i.e., can't drop him at the drop of the hat)

Yep. LA can move him very easily with that contract if they want.

he also just signed an 8 figure (10 mil a year) shoe deal and i'm sure that partner wanted him to stay in LA also ..

and again .. he got the 4th year player option .. which is a massive win for him and just about guarantees that his 4th year pay will make up for most of the money he "left" on the table ..

Yep. LA can move him very easily with that contract if they want.

sure but that is true of almost everyone ... and would have been true with him at 20 mil as well ..

and he gets a 15% raise if he is traded .. which is a nice add ..

Back