NBA- OU players and general (this thread only)

Thought Blake couldn't shoot???!? Unreal how his game has changed. I have arguments every year with the same 2-3 buddies on how Blake should be considered one of the greatest PFs of all time! I'd have him in my top 10 for sure. He needs to win a Championship now!

You’re not going to get any pushback from us old timers ��. Blake has been to 6 All-Star games (or selected 6 times)...it’s not debatable that he is the best NBA Sooner...and it’s not debatable that Mookie is the best NBA Sooner guard (at least right now).

I feel like most posters fall into two extremes. Younger posters tend to think the best current player is always the best ever, and older posters tend to think the best current player is never the best ever. I remember all the Blake vs Wayman debates during his sophomore year, and while I thought it was reasonable to side with Wayman, I was under the belief that it didn't really matter how good Blake was. Getting any "best ever" label is difficult to get from fanbases while still playing. On the flip side, there were a lot of people that wanted to crown Buddy during his senior year.

But I agree that I don't think this should be up for debate from an NBA standpoint. Blake has more AS selections than every other Sooner combined. I also think he's our only player to ever be All-NBA. It's a shame he was robbed of ever being 1st team. The fact that Noah got the nod over him in 2013-2014 is an absolute travesty. I think it's too late for Blake, so maybe Trae can break that barrier for us.

Here is my All-Sooner NBA two-deep by position. I’m not sure if Grant or Heard start at the small forward position, but the other is clearly the backup over Eduardo (who would be heading up the third team with Brent Price).

1st Team:

PG - Mookie
SG - Buddy
SF - Harvey Grant
PF - Blake
C - Alvan Adams

2nd Team:

PG - Trae
SG - Anthony Bowie
SF - Gar Heard
PF - Wayman
C - Clifford Ray

Is this more of an Olympic-style roster where positions actually matter, or is it an All-Pro roster where they just honor the best 5 players regardless of how well they fit together? I'm curious if you rank Grant over Wayman, or if it's just a positional thing.

I'm also curious who you'd rank as your #2 behind Blake. Adams? I never actually got to see Adams play, but I believe Blake is still hunting him down to be our all-time points and rebounds leader (and I think Adams also has more assists currently).

Thought Blake couldn't shoot???!? Unreal how his game has changed. I have arguments every year with the same 2-3 buddies on how Blake should be considered one of the greatest PFs of all time! I'd have him in my top 10 for sure. He needs to win a Championship now!

At one point he was widely regarded as the third best player in the league behind only Lebron and KD. It's unfortunate he didn't have more postseason success. He and CP3 just broke down every year in the playoffs. It's a shame the rest days weren't much of a thing 5-10 years ago, because their knees sure could have used them.

Is this more of an Olympic-style roster where positions actually matter, or is it an All-Pro roster where they just honor the best 5 players regardless of how well they fit together? I'm curious if you rank Grant over Wayman, or if it's just a positional thing.

I'm also curious who you'd rank as your #2 behind Blake. Adams? I never actually got to see Adams play, but I believe Blake is still hunting him down to be our all-time points and rebounds leader (and I think Adams also has more assists currently).

I was putting my team together by position. Grant was a very good NBA defensive player, but overall was not better than Wayman. If Wayman concentrated more on basketball (he was a phenomenal musician), he would be in Springfield. Still, he averaged more than 15 a game over 12 seasons - a really solid career.

As for the second best all-time NBA Sooner, for now it’s a tossup between Mookie and Alvan...can make an argument for either one. Wayman is 4th, but Buddy and / or Trae May eventually be in the top 3-5.

Buddy finished the season with 20.7 points, 5 rebounds, 2.5 assists.

Trae finished with 19.1 points, 8.1 assists, 3.7 rebounds.

Blake ended the season with 24.5 points, 7.5 rebounds, 5.4 assists.

Only Blake will keep going on this year with a series against Milwaukee.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Buddy finished the season with 20.7 points, 5 rebounds, 2.5 assists.

Trae finished with 19.1 points, 8.1 assists, 3.7 rebounds.

Blake ended the season with 24.5 points, 7.5 rebounds, 5.4 assists.

Only Blake will keep going on this year with a series against Milwaukee.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Detroit won't win the series either way, but I sure hope Blake is healthy enough to play, and play effectively. He has barely played the past week or two because of a knee injury, it would really be a shame if he has another playoff series cut short by injury.

Just a great year for all three Sooners. I can't wait to see who Sacramento and Atlanta add in the draft. The Kings need another piece or two to become a playoff team, and Atlanta could really have a talented young core if they hit on their pick.

Detroit won't win the series either way, but I sure hope Blake is healthy enough to play, and play effectively. He has barely played the past week or two because of a knee injury, it would really be a shame if he has another playoff series cut short by injury.

Just a great year for all three Sooners. I can't wait to see who Sacramento and Atlanta add in the draft. The Kings need another piece or two to become a playoff team, and Atlanta could really have a talented young core if they hit on their pick.

Kings don’t have their pick

They just need to stay healthy and they’ll be a playoff team next year

Hopefully ATL can get lucky and land Zion

Hawks current draft odds by pick...
1st 10.5%
2nd 10.5%
3rd 10.5%
4th 10.5%
5th 2.2%
6th 19.6%
7th 26.7%
8th 40.0%
9th 34.5%
10th 7.9%
11th 0.5%
12th 0.1%

Kings don’t have their pick

They just need to stay healthy and they’ll be a playoff team next year

Hopefully ATL can get lucky and land Zion

the kings will be better again but the playoff are far from a lock next season ..

the Lakers and Dalls will also both be much much better next year ..

Kings need to figure out what to do with Cauley-Stein. I'm not sure I'd pay him lots of money. Let him go and play Bagley at the 5 full time maybe.. Hope Buddy has another big year and can pick where he goes the following year.

mr walton, come on down. still going to ge tough as hell to make the playoffs next year for the kings, as the west will be even stronger. and that’s before free agency.

One NBA Sooner who has less than 5 posts on this thread is Terry Stotts. His Blazers just went up 2-0 on the Thunder (it's not over yet, OKC fans).

I read that Blake said he wanted to play in Game 1 but was overruled. Hopefully, his ailing knee will allow him to play tonight.

Blake hurt his knee again on a dunk and basically played on one leg. He finished with 22 points and put on such an inspiring display. He fouled out and was treated to a well-deserved standing ovation. That game was close for 3 quarters. If u watched it, that was about as one-sided an officiated game as I've seen in a long time...Pistons never had a chance.

Man, that third quarter was ridiculous. So one sided! Greek Freak gets every call going to the basket. I think Blake went out with 4-5 min left in quarter and that's when the game ended. Hopefully the Pistons can land a solid player in free agency or a good player at pick 15/16.

I hope the Pistons have reasonably intelligent management/owners who will trade Blake. It will be a shame if he spends the last few good years of his career wasting away in Detroit to maybe sneak into the playoffs as a 7th/8th seed.

They need to tear down and rebuild in Detroit, and there are plenty of contenders who would love to have Blake.

I just don't see them doing that. If anything I think they may move Drummond. I was thinking move him to Atlanta for a high first round pick. Rebuild around Blake and two high draft picks.. this would also open up money for free agency. Blake will also be 33 I believe when that big contract is up. Guessing he could probably get one more pretty big 3-4 year contract or take less and choose where to go. Hopefully at that point he figures it out and tries for a Championship one more time.

Back