NBA- OU players and general (this thread only)

Mavs still have 2 games on them with 4 to play for the mavs and 3 to play for the hawks. they split in the regular season. Not sure how a tie breaker works

Yeah, I had the Mavs win count wrong. Thought they were also 29

Hawks should be fine

Great read! I wasn't overly worried about his slow start, but certainly didn't think he would end up having this good a rookie season. Unfortunately, if the below link proves accurate, he still will come up far short in ROY voting. But the season he is having would win him the award most years, he just happens to be competing against a guy who also had a terrific season.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26415108/nba-awards-predictions-should-win

Great read! I wasn't overly worried about his slow start, but certainly didn't think he would end up having this good a rookie season. Unfortunately, if the below link proves accurate, he still will come up far short in ROY voting. But the season he is having would win him the award most years, he just happens to be competing against a guy who also had a terrific season.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26415108/nba-awards-predictions-should-win

He has proven a lot of people wrong, who thought he wouldn't experience success at the NBA level. I have NBA League Pass, and I watch the Hawks most nights to see him play..... I also tune in for Buddy Buckets.:D

Doncic is also very fun to watch play.

When is the last time a guard from OU averaged over 20 a game in a season? Unless Blaylock did it I'm pretty sure Buddy is the first in decades.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Just looked it up. Bowie had 14.6 once in the 90s as a shooting guard. Blaylock got close around 15-17 for several years but no higher than that. We've got 2 in the NBA over or flirting with 20 a game. Trae needs to average over 45 per game to get to 20 points per game so he'll miss that mark. But Buddy will average around 21 per game. Blowing away any scoring season a guard has ever had for OU.

This is probably the best OU has ever been in the NBA. Certainly better than at any time during the Sampson era.

This is probably the best OU has ever been in the NBA. Certainly better than at any time during the Sampson era.

the best since Wayman, Harvey, King, Mookie, Brent, and Bowie where all in the league at the same time and all playing

Just looked it up. Bowie had 14.6 once in the 90s as a shooting guard. Blaylock got close around 15-17 for several years but no higher than that. We've got 2 in the NBA over or flirting with 20 a game. Trae needs to average over 45 per game to get to 20 points per game so he'll miss that mark. But Buddy will average around 21 per game. Blowing away any scoring season a guard has ever had for OU.

Team scoring averages have increased over the years.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/points-per-game?date=2018-06-09

Last edited:
This year is way up but the 1980s definitely outscored the 2010s

Not even close

Highest scoring decade was the 60s

Blaylock was mentioned. He played most of his career with the Hawks. During that period the difference in scoring as compared to today's numbers is not one in the same.

In his career, if you were to take into account the seasons where he played most of the schedule for both New Jersey and Golden State (including the Hawks), the average team scoring from the 90-91 to 2000-01 seasons was 99.6 points.

The difference between that period and this season is 11.5 points.

Last edited:
Blake only scored 45 points against OKC. 9 of 14 from 3 and 14 of 16 at the free throw line

the best since Wayman, Harvey, King, Mookie, Brent, and Bowie where all in the league at the same time and all playing

Maybe in the 91-92 season. Brent and King weren't ever major contributors, and that was the only year Bowie was. I'd take the current trio over Wayman, Harvey, and Mookie. I think that whole bunch had a total of 1 all-star appearance.

Maybe in the 91-92 season. Brent and King weren't ever major contributors, and that was the only year Bowie was. I'd take the current trio over Wayman, Harvey, and Mookie. I think that whole bunch had a total of 1 all-star appearance.
Wayman is really the only one that's at these guys level and Blake's already blown away his point total and will be the all time Sooner scoring leader midway through next year most likely. Tisdale is underrated as a pro somewhat. He was a consistent starter getting around 17 points per game for a decade. But Blake's going to hopefully be a multi time all star in the east.

The fact is OU never had guards this good in the NBA outside of really Blaylock. And both of these guys(Buddy and Trae) are better.

I'm sure I'd get pushback from some of the older/nostalgic posters on this, but I think Blake is the best NBA player we've ever produced, and I don't think it's close. At this moment, I expect Blake, Buddy, and Trae to end up #1-3 when it's all said and done.

I do still have to rate Mookie as our top NBA guard, given what he did on the defensive end. His career steals total has fallen out of the top 10, but I doubt I'll ever see his career steals per game fall out of the top 10. Overall, it's looking like only a matter of time before Trae takes his title. Might even take Blake's.

I'm sure I'd get pushback from some of the older/nostalgic posters on this, but I think Blake is the best NBA player we've ever produced, and I don't think it's close. At this moment, I expect Blake, Buddy, and Trae to end up #1-3 when it's all said and done.

I do still have to rate Mookie as our top NBA guard, given what he did on the defensive end. His career steals total has fallen out of the top 10, but I doubt I'll ever see his career steals per game fall out of the top 10. Overall, it's looking like only a matter of time before Trae takes his title. Might even take Blake's.

You’re not going to get any pushback from us old timers ��. Blake has been to 6 All-Star games (or selected 6 times)...it’s not debatable that he is the best NBA Sooner...and it’s not debatable that Mookie is the best NBA Sooner guard (at least right now).

Here is my All-Sooner NBA two-deep by position. I’m not sure if Grant or Heard start at the small forward position, but the other is clearly the backup over Eduardo (who would be heading up the third team with Brent Price).

1st Team:

PG - Mookie
SG - Buddy
SF - Harvey Grant
PF - Blake
C - Alvan Adams

2nd Team:

PG - Trae
SG - Anthony Bowie
SF - Gar Heard
PF - Wayman
C - Clifford Ray