NBA- OU players and general (this thread only)

He finished with 14 after another bad shooting night from long range (2-9 on three-pointers). I have no idea what his season-long problem is and when it will end. My only guess is that he’s trying way too hard to justify his new contract.

I thought a lot of it was the injuries earlier in the year but he's not really been that good since they've come back and the team is playing worse than it was earlier i the year without Fox and Bagley.

The Hawks beat the Clippers without Trae 102-95. And they were down by 21 in the first half.

Trae is a starter in the AS game. Good for him.

Trae is a starter in the AS game. Good for him.

I’m cherry-picking the timeframe, but in the last 45 years we have the same number of players as Kansas make at least one All-Star roster.

Kansas:
1) Jo Jo White
2) Danny Manning
3) Paul Pierce
4) Joel Embiid

OU;
1) Alvin Adams
2) Mookie Blaylock
3) Blake Griffin
4) Trae Young

I can understand a high school player wanting to pick KU over OU due to better tradition, wanting to play in front of screaming fans, and wanting a better chance of playing in the Final Four - all compelling reasons. But I never want to hear A guy picking KU to fulfill his NBA dreams. That would fall under the category of B.S.

I’m cherry-picking the timeframe, but in the last 45 years we have the same number of players as Kansas make at least one All-Star roster.

Kansas:
1) Jo Jo White
2) Danny Manning
3) Paul Pierce
4) Joel Embiid

OU;
1) Alvin Adams
2) Mookie Blaylock
3) Blake Griffin
4) Trae Young

I can understand a high school player wanting to pick KU over OU due to better tradition, wanting to play in front of screaming fans, and wanting a better chance of playing in the Final Four - all compelling reasons. But I never want to hear A guy picking KU to fulfill his NBA dreams. That would fall under the category of B.S.

according to realgm ou has had 21 nba players all time

Kansas has Had 74.

Last edited:

Kansas has Had 74.

Yeah to act like All Star games is the only way to judge which schools are the best at developing players is a little simplistic. KU always has several guys in the league at a given time. We have had some high profile guys, including right now, but to suggest we are on their level is far fetched. But that in no way means we shouldn't be proud of our tradition, and we clearly should use the success of our current NBA guys as a huge selling point.

Yeah to act like All Star games is the only way to judge which schools are the best at developing players is a little simplistic. KU always has several guys in the league at a given time. We have had some high profile guys, including right now, but to suggest we are on their level is far fetched. But that in no way means we shouldn't be proud of our tradition, and we clearly should use the success of our current NBA guys as a huge selling point.

Absolutely we should, buddy, trae, and blake are great. No argument here.

Kansas has Had 74.

...and the same number of different NBA All-Stars in the past 45 years. :)

I was simply pointing out that one has an equal shot of becoming a good-great NBA player whichever school he chooses. I'll take it one step further. If I put the 10 best NBA Sooners against the 10 best NBA Jayhawks during the same timeframe, there is going to be very little, if ANY, difference in overall talent. Based on the sheer number of NBA players from Kansas during that timeframe, it should be a complete mismatch. Why isn't it?

From Mookie Blaylock till the late 2000s I think the only player we had that made an NBA roster was Najera. Maybe Jeff Webster made a roster for a few games but nobody stuck during that period from those later Billy teams through Kelvin's teams. Not getting NBA talent for basically 2 decades. It's amazing we were putting up the amount of winning teams we did put up all those years with Kelvin.

From Mookie Blaylock till the late 2000s I think the only player we had that made an NBA roster was Najera. Maybe Jeff Webster made a roster for a few games but nobody stuck during that period from those later Billy teams through Kelvin's teams. Not getting NBA talent for basically 2 decades. It's amazing we were putting up the amount of winning teams we did put up all those years with Kelvin.

After 1989 with Mookie and Stacey King, we had Brent Price a few years later (and he lasted 9 years)...and then you are correct - one guy (Najera) drafted between 1993 and 2008 who played more than one year in the NBA. That said, OU has a terrific all-time NBA team because so many players over-achieved. Gar Heard (PF), Clifford Ray (C) and Anthony Bowie (SG) were all 3rd round pics (UFAs today) who not only combined to play about 30 years in the League, but were all outstanding NBA defensive players.

The reason our 10 deep, or 12-man rosters could compete with KU during the past 45 years (I have to use that timeframe to exclude Wilt :D ) is because we've only had one major disappointment drafted (Stacey King - and he still played 8 years), and so many Kansas players went bust.

He's leading the team with 15 points in 13 minutes of action halfway through the third quarter.

Hopefully he'll be able to right himself. I mean if he's most effective coming off the bench then so be it, but it has to be a blow to his self esteem.

He still has more minutes than Bagdonovic. And way more points tonight. 21 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block good game so far for Buddy.

Trae is playing the Thunder tonight. 24 points, 16 assists. But the Thunder are up by around 20 points.

Hopefully he'll be able to right himself. I mean if he's most effective coming off the bench then so be it, but it has to be a blow to his self esteem.

The coach said it wasn't a permanent thing. For all we know, it's tonight only.

Buddy's leading the team in points (21) and rebounds (8) with five minutes to go.

He still has more minutes than Bagdonovic. And way more points tonight. 21 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block good game so far for Buddy.

Trae is playing the Thunder tonight. 24 points, 16 assists. But the Thunder are up by around 20 points.

Trae got off to a very slow start scoring but really picked things up. Glad he had a good game in front of the hometown crowd.

26 points 16 assists, 2 rebounds, 1 steal for Trae. Thunder are going to win by about 30 points.

16 assists to 1 turnover for Trae

Nice to see Buddy go 5/9 from 3. He hasn’t been himself this year

I doubt Walton (and Divac) wants a guy with an 80+ million dollar contract coming off the bench. However, if that's what it takes to end this ridiculous slump, so be it. Last night was definitely encouraging. Buddy is easily averaging career highs in rebounds and assists, so he's obviously trying to help his team any way he can.

Back