NBA- OU players and general (this thread only)

They have actually made him a defensive stopper for short periods. Last night he drew Lemelo Ball and Terry Rozier in OT. Both players were torching LA all game.

The coach trusts him a lot because he is smart with the ball and spaces the floor. I don't think he would have played as much last night if Rondo wasn't ejected in the 3rd quarter. Reaves really isn't handling the ball much when he's on the floor, mostly playing on the wings.

You can tell by his effort, he understands defense, making smart plays, and constant effort are keeping him in the rotation. He hit a huge 3 in OT, and made a great pass to Carmelo for an open 3. Melo turned back the clock last night. He was like 9-12 from three and had 29 points. The players and fans love Reaves.

They said last night Nunn will be ready soon, and will factor into the rotation. I still think Reaves will play because Ellington is old and can only play limited minutes, and you never know which Monk will show up. Reaves has been super steady....

They have actually made him a defensive stopper for short periods. Last night he drew Lemelo Ball and Terry Rozier in OT. Both players were torching LA all game.

The coach trusts him a lot because he is smart with the ball and spaces the floor. I don't think he would have played as much last night if Rondo wasn't ejected in the 3rd quarter. Reaves really isn't handling the ball much when he's on the floor, mostly playing on the wings.

You can tell by his effort, he understands defense, making smart plays, and constant effort are keeping him in the rotation. He hit a huge 3 in OT, and made a great pass to Carmelo for an open 3. Melo turned back the clock last night. He was like 9-12 from three and had 29 points. The players and fans love Reaves.

They said last night Nunn will be ready soon, and will factor into the rotation. I still think Reaves will play because Ellington is old and can only play limited minutes, and you never know which Monk will show up. Reaves has been super steady....

Yes, it's looking like Reaves will need to take wing minutes instead of pg minutes.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/1457926629968134150?s=20[/TWEET]

Says it all

Taking minutes from Monk and Bazemore.

I think if the playoffs were starting today and Vogel had to cut one of the above from the rotation, it would be Monk. Reaves is consistently doing his job defensively, which Vogel values. This team needs 3 point shooting, though, and Reaves is going to have to step it up if he wants to lock down a spot in a healthy playoff rotation. Between Bazemore, Bradley, Monk, Ellington, and Reaves -- Reaves is dead last in 3 pt shooting. Not a huge gap, but minutes would get squeezed if THT, Nunn, and Ariza came back. Given the age and health of this team, he'll get every opportunity to show his worth in the regular season.

I think if the playoffs were starting today and Vogel had to cut one of the above from the rotation, it would be Monk. Reaves is consistently doing his job defensively, which Vogel values. This team needs 3 point shooting, though, and Reaves is going to have to step it up if he wants to lock down a spot in a healthy playoff rotation. Between Bazemore, Bradley, Monk, Ellington, and Reaves -- Reaves is dead last in 3 pt shooting. Not a huge gap, but minutes would get squeezed if THT, Nunn, and Ariza came back. Given the age and health of this team, he'll get every opportunity to show his worth in the regular season.

Agreed.

What's so cool though is that he is showing every fringe NBA player what it takes to make a team and stick in the NBA night in and night out. HUSTLING. Physicality and toughness. Playing IQ basketball not run and jump basketball. Keeping his assignments and covering for teammates when they miss theirs.

Not arguing with the refs. If you're Anthony Davis or Lebron James, argue away. If you're Austin Reaves, dust yourself off and sprint back to the other end with your hands up...

Masterclass in doing all the little things.

Agreed.

What's so cool though is that he is showing every fringe NBA player what it takes to make a team and stick in the NBA night in and night out. HUSTLING. Physicality and toughness. Playing IQ basketball not run and jump basketball. Keeping his assignments and covering for teammates when they miss theirs.

Not arguing with the refs. If you're Anthony Davis or Lebron James, argue away. If you're Austin Reaves, dust yourself off and sprint back to the other end with your hands up...

Masterclass in doing all the little things.

Spot on!!! There was a play last night where he beat his man off the dribble and got mauled at the rim. He hit the floor hard, and the ref just looked at him. He didn't stop for a minute to say anything, he sprinted back on defense, and ended up knocking the ball away from Ball, which led to a layup for LA. During the immediate time out you could see Deandre Jordan and Ariza walking over to him and fist bumping him about that play.

He also has learned how to co exist with the big egos this team has. Between LBJ, Melo, RW, and Davis there is enough ego to fill ten teams, lol.... I don't think anyone could have predicted how well this would go for AR. I'm a lifelong Laker fan who has watched them, and cheered for them since my childhood. It is so refreshing to see a guy from my favorite college, doing so well for my favorite NBA team....

I could not be more proud of AR. Stunned at his early success.

But I hate the Lakers. Go Sonics!

i think he is showing that he is not a fringe NBA player ..

Probably the wrong word. I guess I mean all of those guys who don't walk into the league who are gifted enough physically that they will get a shot regardless.

Probably the wrong word. I guess I mean all of those guys who don't walk into the league who are gifted enough physically that they will get a shot regardless.

i agree .. \

i think my response came off the wrong way ..

he has been really good so far

I think your word choice was reasonable. If his mental approach to the game were average, he would not even be in the league. He is maximizing his ability.

27 points 6 assists for Trae in a 110-98 loss to Utah.

Blake 0 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists in 19 minutes for the Nets as they beat Orlando 123-90

Buddy only had 12 points in a loss to San Antonio 136-117

Austin Reaves DNP due to a hamstring. Lakers beat Miami in OT.

Buddy 14 points 5 assists 4-9 from 3. Kings lost to OKC 105-103

Blake 8 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks, 1 steal. Nets beat New Orleans 120-112

Trae 30 points 9 assists, 5 rebounds. Hawks lose to Denver 105-96

Austin Reaves will miss 2 weeks with a hamstring strain.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Buddy 14 points 5 assists 4-9 from 3. Kings lost to OKC 105-103

Blake 8 points, 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks, 1 steal. Nets beat New Orleans 120-112

Trae 30 points 9 assists, 5 rebounds. Hawks lose to Denver 105-96

Austin Reaves will miss 2 weeks with a hamstring strain.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Hate this for Austin. For a guy off to a really nice start but still in a position where he has to really compete for minutes, missing several games could be a big setback. I hope he can pick up where he left off when he returns, but that’s no sure thing.

Hate this for Austin. For a guy off to a really nice start but still in a position where he has to really compete for minutes, missing several games could be a big setback. I hope he can pick up where he left off when he returns, but that’s no sure thing.

I agree. Ellington and Monk have been very inconsistent, which helps him. The backcourt seems to be getting healthy. Last night they said Nunn would be ready soon, and the coaching staff loves him. Bazemore is giving nothing, and I don't think Ariza will be ready until after the holiday season.

I believe he will get minutes, unless his injury keeps him out for longer than projected. Hamstrings can be problematic......

Back