OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
picture1t.png

picture2xm.png

Re: Oklahoma-Utah Box Score/Notes >>> SoonerSports.com

Source

• Oklahoma won its fifth straight game and earned its first true road victory in two tries with a 78-73 overtime triumph at Utah.

• The Sooners watched Utah score the first four points of overtime before outscoring the Utes 11-2 the final 3:41.

• OU jumped out to a 14-3 lead in the game's first 3:12 (Tiny Gallon hit two 3-pointers in the first 1:18) only to see Utah outscore it 39-22 the rest of the half to take a 42-36 advantage at halftime.

• The Sooners opened the second half on a 12-2 run to take a 48-44 lead and led by as many as seven in the second half (57-50 and 59-52).

• Willie Warren, who didn't score until the 5:32 mark of the first half, scored 22 of his game-high 27 points after halftime. The sophomore guard also grabbed a career-high eight rebounds and handed out four assists. He was 11-for-12 from the free throw line.

• Warren, who scored five points in overtime, hit a 26-foot 3-pointer with two minutes left in overtime to give OU a 72-71 lead it would not relinquish.

• Senior Tony Crocker logged his third double-double in the last four games (the only three of his career) with 12 points and 10 rebounds.

• Freshman Tommy Mason-Griffin's 18 points marked a career-high, as did his six free throw makes and eight attempts. He also had three assists and two steals. His second steal came with 14 seconds left in overtime and Oklahoma up three points.

• The Sooners won despite shooting just .344 from the field. They were 8-for-20 (.400) from behind the arc and 26-for-34 from the free throw line. Utah shot .403 from the field, .208 from deep (5-for-24) and .636 from the charity stripe (14-for-22).

• Using a four-guard lineup the majority of the game against a Utah team that featured a pair of 7-footers (David Foster and Jason Washburn) and a 6-11 forward (Kim Tillie), OU posted a 47-45 rebounding advantage. Oklahoma's 6-9 starting forward Tiny Gallon played just 10 minutes before fouling out.

• Ryan Wright played a career-high 34 minutes in place of Gallon and had three points, seven rebounds and three steals.

• OU improved to 4-0 in overtime games under head coach Jeff Capel.

Re: Oklahoma-Utah Box Score/Notes >>> SoonerSports.com

Source

Not much here probably because they SID staff had leave with quickly with the team to fly home.

Oklahoma Head Coach Jeff Capel
“I think a lot of our guys grew up today. This certainly was not a pretty game. To win on the road and only shot 34% isn’t good. But one of the things that we did do was show a lot of toughness.”

“We got off to a good start, then Utah made a huge run and took control of the game. But the way we ended the first half was really important for us because we were able to cut their lead to make it a six-point game by halftime. Then in the second half we were able to come out and get back in to our defense and make some things happen.”

Utah Head Coach Jim Boylen
“This was a disappointing loss. We had two tough starts on the halves. We missed too many free throws. I like my team and I like my athletes. We battled and we are getting better. Our defense is getting better with every minute.”

“We have to make our free throws in the big games and we have to make our shots. We missed too many threes.” “I feel that David [Foster] did a good job containing [Willie] Warren. Our defense pushes. Our guys are big and the other team has to go out and struggle with our size and length. I feel good about our center position on this team.”

“[Foster] is a great player. He fits in perfectly with the system. I was disappointed with his fourth foul. He has to play smarter in that situation. He needs to learn to sometimes let them get the two to avoid the foul. He is still learning. This is only his tenth game in the system and he’ll keep getting better.”

“I will never blame a loss on a young team. Yes, we have a young team, but I will not use that as an excuse for a loss.”

Senior Guard Luka Drca
“The difference in the game was our offense. Our defense was pretty good, I think we held them to 34 % shooting, but our offense was not as good as it should be. When we were up four in overtime we took bad shots and we shouldn’t allow that to happen.”

“We have a young team and we are becoming closer to how we were last season. We wouldn’t have lost a close game like this. It’s been tough this season due to how many younger guys we have on the team, but the juniors and seniors need to work hard and lead the team.”

Junior Forward Jay Watkins
“Our shots that fell in the first half didn’t in the second. A couple guys’ shots that we normally could make just didn’t fall. We missed some crucial rebounds on defense that could have made the difference in this game.”

“This may have been the most disappointing loss in my career. It was heartbreaking.”

Junior Guard Carlon Brown
“I thought we were in the game the whole time. We let go of that lead in the first half and came out slow and sluggish in the second. We didn’t make free throws, myself included, and missed some important rebounds.”

“It’s been a rollercoaster year so far. A lot of learning and teaching has been going on. We have to keep our heads high after this game and learn a lot from it and apply it to practice. As of right now, we are not ready for conference play. We have one of the toughest conferences in the nation and it gets harder through the season and we have to get better.”

Back