OT: Football Talk

Why does OU football always have to wait for a couple losses (usually texas) to make changes? BV has to know its a probably and not going to get fixed. It would be nice to be proactive and not wait for a loss

Why does OU football always have to wait for a couple losses (usually texas) to make changes? BV has to know its a probably and not going to get fixed. It would be nice to be proactive and not wait for a loss
To be fair, we usually beat Texas. lol

Sawchuck was very average last year. And BArnes is very average this year. RBs are trash and not up to OU standards. Not sure if that is evalution or coaching.
None of our RBs outside of tatums has shown any ability to make anyone miss. It is literally run fast in a straight line until contact

We haven't had a really good back since Brooks. Texas has been killing us in recruiting running backs. You can see Tatum has talent but according to Gabe, he doesn't even know what to do on any given play. I'd really like to know what the deal is with Hicks. He looked very good in limited action last season.

We haven't had a really good back since Brooks. Texas has been killing us in recruiting running backs. You can see Tatum has talent but according to Gabe, he doesn't even know what to do on any given play. I'd really like to know what the deal is with Hicks. He looked very good in limited action last season.
I think Gray was a really good back his last season. But agree with everything else you said. And it’s inexcusable for Tatum to be so clueless. Running back is a position that talented guys usually can play as freshmen. I realize there are responsibilities in tye passing game, but it sounds like he doesn’t even get the basics down.

The nepotism hires need to stop. DM, SL, BB, JJF ALL need to go. Clean house and start anew. BV will certainly be on the hot seat next year. He’s gotta make it count.

What changes can he make? The OL can’t block. Neither QB can QB. ALL the WR are hurt. There are no changes to be made. This offense is a disaster and has very little talent.

BV has neglected the offense completely to build up the defense. We have 2 teams really, a lot like Riley’s teams. One side coaches defense and the other side coaches offense. 2 separate teams that are operating independently. They are not working together. It’s 2 completely different camps. It’s not good.

What changes can he make? The OL can’t block. Neither QB can QB. ALL the WR are hurt. There are no changes to be made. This offense is a disaster and has very little talent.

BV has neglected the offense completely to build up the defense. We have 2 teams really, a lot like Riley’s teams. One side coaches defense and the other side coaches offense. 2 separate teams that are operating independently. They are not working together. It’s 2 completely different camps. It’s not good.
I'm just saying in general why does it seem OU always waits to make changes until a loss or 2?

I'm just saying in general why does it seem OU always waits to make changes until a loss or 2?
And I also think that just about any decent OC could at least make schematic changes. We don't have the talent to be a great offense, maybe not even a good one. But both the running and passing games need a complete overhaul. That's another reason why they desperately need to hire someone from outside the OU family. Get some fresh ideas in there.

Drastic in-season changes are rare. It's just not done unless a coach's behavior toward players or other coaches crosses a line.
Highly unlikely BV makes any coaching changes until after the season. Even if Littrell were replaced, I'd expect the offense to get worse before it gets better.
You can't start installing new plays/concepts in the middle of the season and expect good results quickly.
Also, BB has been coaching offensive line blocking schemes for years, yet his line can't block anyone. I have to assume the o-linemen are just not capable.
Combined with a freshman and a sophomore qb, top 4/5 receivers injured, where would the improvement even come from?

Drastic in-season changes are rare. It's just not done unless a coach's behavior toward players or other coaches crosses a line.
Highly unlikely BV makes any coaching changes until after the season. Even if Littrell were replaced, I'd expect the offense to get worse before it gets better.
You can't start installing new plays/concepts in the middle of the season and expect good results quickly.
Also, BB has been coaching offensive line blocking schemes for years, yet his line can't block anyone. I have to assume the o-linemen are just not capable.
Combined with a freshman and a sophomore qb, top 4/5 receivers injured, where would the improvement even come from?
Concept. And it doesn't have to be incredibly complicated stuff.

They are rare but not unheard of. And I wasn't just talking about coaching changes but also player changes.

But I am fully confident that someone could come in and create a simple game plan with changes and have better results.
WOuld it be great changes? No. But it would be better than what we have. These kids have been playing football their entire lives, they can adjust pretty quickly.
Again, it can't get any worse

Back